All iPads New to Apple products, is the iPad right for my son & I?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by budmonster, Sep 20, 2013.

1. budmonster macrumors regular

I'm looking to buy a tablet, I have an old Kindle Fire and it's just time to upgrade. I'm an Android fan always have been, was thinking of maybe getting the new Nexus 7 or waiting for the next Nexus 10 2nd gen. Then I forgot I have never used an Apple product (but been dying too) so I'm kind of leaning towards an iPad 4 now. For some reason I really want an Apple product, don't know why? As an Android fan Apple is always getting kicked around. I would mainly be using it with my son it would basically be his, educational purposes, etc. I heard that iPad's are great for kids, learning and a great teaching tool? The Kindle Fire just doesn't have that many solid educational/learning applications in the Play store/Amazon market. The iTunes market, yes it has less apps but the apps seem to be more solid, the Android & Amazon market seem to have a lot of junk apps. If I do go and grab that new iPad 4 tomorrow am I making the right choice. We have that new Nexus 10 coming down the line, a new Asus Transformer Pad, a new Samsung G Tab and so on. Will the iPad 4 still be relevant for the next couple years? Or am I going to be buying an iPad 5 in the upcoming months. I was on the Apple website and I saw refurbished iPads. Is there a big difference? I was in the Apple chat with a rep and she said "Most of our refurbished items are like-new and are returned orders or the product of buyer's remorse. Some are even last years model that never sold." Is this true or am I better off buying a brand new one? I was looking at the 32gb models and I would be saving $100 going with a refurbished, which is a lot to me. That comes to my next question, is 32GB enough space? Like I said my 4yr old son will be using it a lot, he loves to play games, I'll be using teaching app to help him, he'll be watching movies and he likes to take pictures but nothing to serious. Anyways, I'm curious to find out what guys think I should do you, your thoughts and comments are welcomed.

I appreciate you guys letting me rant, it's a big step buying a new piece of technology these days lmao.
    Thanks...//budmonster

2. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

32GB is enough, better than 16GB! (I know, because I have it, and I wish I had the bigger one, heh!) Are you going to use Netflix or Amazon on Demand? They're both on the iPad.

And yeah, lots of people here only buy refurbished units. It's like what the rep said, it's just buyer remorse. They get inspected better too, so they're even better than the newly sealed ones.

Lots of educational software. You're not going to have any issues with that, except that your wallet will get lighter, LOL (Tip: Keep an key on the free apps charts, a lot of stuff gets discounted all the time :)). The camera is pretty good too.

I came from a Kindle Fire too. I think once you have one Android, you've seen them all. At least in the tablets.

3. zipa macrumors 65816

There's a new iPad likely to be announced within a month. I'd wait for that, since even if you don't want the latest and greatest, you'll likely find some really good deals on the old models once the new iPad is announced.

Of course if you need or want one right now, a refurbished model is a good deal. They are for all intents and purposes new.

4. budmonster thread starter macrumors regular

I will def go to the store and check out iPad for myself, haven't seen the new iOS7 yet. But... I still can't choose between the 32GB for $499.00 or be really safe and just grab the 64GB for just $79 more? Also, which is better, white or black color. A four year old will be handling it also, I'll probably be supervising him but which is better for seeing less scratches and nicks? His Kindle Fire is his table for games and such, the iPad will be more for learning. Also, can someone recommend accessories that I will need or should get? Can someone start by recommending me a good case that will protect it from a crazy 4 year old lol? Oh, almost forgot, do you guys recommend that I also purchase that $99 Apple+ warranty plan? It seems like someone with kids should get it asap.

5. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

If you can afford the extra $79, get it. But most apps, especially educational, will be like 100-500MB in size, and most are even less than that. 32GB is that safe spot for most iOS devices in general.

You can't really scratch or nick the screen. The back would be more exposed to that, and they're both that silver color. So either work fine.

Get the 32GB, and then use that saved money you were going to buy the 64GB for to get AppleCare+.

Speck cases are pretty good. The price is worth it.

http://www.speckproducts.com/tablet-ipad-cases/the-new-ipad.html

6. zipa macrumors 65816

That depends on what your home insurance covers and what the collateral is. Some credit card companies also provide extended warranties for electronics when bought with their card. Either option is likely to be cheaper in case they apply to you.

7. Apple fanboy macrumors Core

Apple fanboy

When you say go to the store, do you mean the apple store? That place is gonna be rammed! I never go near the place around the first few weeks of an iPhone launch. Good luck.
    I would never go anything smaller than 32gb on an iOS device these days. When I upgrade my wife's iPad 2 I'm probably thinking the 64gb is the way to go.
    My daughter (11) has an iPad 4 and she uses it a lot. When she was around 9 she had a touch and we used to get educational games (mostly maths as that was her weaker subject). These days it's mostly games and web browsing.

8. Tysknaden macrumors regular

Tysknaden

Wait for the 5. Do not buy the 4!
    Not a good idea - buying (for a lot of money) a device' version, which will become outdated in a month or two. And the 5 will be a little smaller and lighter; easier to handle for a child.
    Don't go below 32gb. Having cellular is a nice feature for a mobile device.

9. wrinkster22 macrumors 68030

wrinkster22

What I would do. Wait for the new one to come out. Hope that the refurbished price gown. Get a refurbished 32gb white or black. Get apple care+ (it covers accidental damage!!!!) and a good case!

10. businezguy macrumors 6502

I find the iPad 4 really makes it easy to take large blocks of text and place them into paragraphs for more convenient reading.

11. ritmomundo, Sep 21, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2013

ritmomundo macrumors 68000

ritmomundo

Holy wall of text, Batma-err.. Budmonster! Wait for the iPad 5 or iPad mini 2.

BTW, your title should say "my son and me."

12. tmarks11 macrumors 6502

4 years old? You might want to think about the mini, easier to hold, less likely to get dropped. Make sure you put a case on that thing (otterbox defender might be the way to go).

Get 32GB. The 16GB doesn't cut it.

Oh, and yeah, WAIT! WAIT! WAIT! In 30 days, they will announce the release of the iPad 5 and the Ipad mini 2.

Buying one now would be a big mistake.

"new" Ipad 4? The thing is 11 months old.

13. darngooddesign macrumors G3

I would only buy a used current generation iPad now. Their updates are imminent. The Mini is a better size for your son. I would get a cheap used mini now for your son and then decide if you want your own.

White will hide his grubby little fingerprints better but an Otterbox style case will have a screen protector built in so it's not a big deal. It's really depends on your personal preference.

14. PracticalMac macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

I would wait the 2 weeks to get new iPad.

Both platforms have about the same total number of apps (over 1 million each), however iOS apps are compatible across all devices, while Android does not enjoy such compatibility.

Amazon and Google have a full set of iPad apps, so you will still have access to everything you use on an Android tablet, plus iOS features.

The new iPad (5) will likely enjoy new OS updates, iOS 8, 9, 10, perhaps even 11. Not all Android tablets offer OS updates.

15. charlituna macrumors G3

charlituna

For a four year old I would say either get the iPad 2 or wait for the next mini to get announced and get a gen 1 on close out.

A four year old doesn't need the latest and greatest to watch Sesame Street and okay preschool games.

16. Eddie Bombay macrumors 6502

iPad or the mini are the greatest tablets ever.

17. TJ61 macrumors 6502a

Corrected. :p

To OP re:AppleCare - you might consider self-insuring. IOW, put that $99 (or whatever it is) in a bank account, along with all other such premiums for gadgets you buy. If you keep close track, including the fact that many such plans have sizable deductibles, you'll probably find you come out ahead. If you have any previous experience, use that as a guide.

18. wmitch macrumors regular

wmitch

A lot of this May depend on your child but I have a 5 and almost 3 year old who absolutely love and use our 3rd gen all the time. The size/weight have never been a problem. If anything it makes them less likely to run around with it

I would at least wait till the October announcements before buying anything but then any of the options- 5th gen, or discounted 4th gens would be good. 32gb will hold a lot of apps too. Mine has all of my kids apps and a bunch of my own on it with no problem.

Finally, not sure if they make these for Kindle and Amdroid but check out games by "Toca Boca" a little pricey but they do go on sale/free occasionally and our hands down the best kids games I've found. No in app purchases or confusing options menus for the kids to get stuck in.

19. mcdspncr macrumors regular

mcdspncr

Given that your child will be using the iPad, a warranty might be a good idea. I'd recommend possibly looking into 3rd party warranties (if you live in the US). I've never actually bought one, but from my limited research they seem to be well priced and offer much more protection against accidental damage, which is probably your main concern. Double check to make sure Apple Care covers all the dropping, cracking, water, juice, etc that you might be worried about (it might, but I'm not an expert with this).

With regards to size and model, 32gb is plenty. Educational apps are fairly big, but he's not going to be interested in more than a few at a time. You can cycle them through as interests shift, although with 32gig you probably won't even have to. 16gigs would even do the trick in my opinion. Someone above suggested waiting until iPad 5 is released and I highly suggest this as well. Either you might find that there is some new amazing feature that you'd love to have, or the price of refurbished 4's will come down. A lot of people have their fingers crossed that the entry-level iPad5 ($499) will be 32gb, but maybe this is just wishful thinking. Regardless, given that you're coming from Android I think you'll be pleasantly surprised with how long Apple will support the iPad 4. Compatibility wise it should last for along time, and work with many new OS's. Enjoy your new iPad!

20. DisplacedMic macrumors 65816

glad i'm not the only ******* who came here just to post that;)

21. mylop macrumors newbie

This should read "...is the iPad right for me and my son?"

Popular mistake, that one.

You're welcome.

22. donnaw macrumors 65816

I have handed down my iPad 1 and 2 to my grandkids. They are now 9 and 5 but they've had them for a couple of years.

I won't go into sizes/refurbs, etc. but I do advise you to do 3 things:

1). Get a case. A thin, light one. If for no other reason than ease of holding it. Most likely, no matter how much you tell him not to, he will pick it up and walk with it. Probably to show you something. My granddaughter carried hers down the stairs and dropped it. The case saved it.

2). Get Ghost Armor or something like it put on the screen. Kids are hard on the screen no matter how careful they try to be. And sticky fingers....Ghost Armor holds up really well and doesn't have as much of an 'orange peel' effect as Zagg. But there are several of these types of screen protectors on the market. They WILL save the screen and the screen is the most important part. After all this time my kids iPads are still pristine (the cases? Well those look pretty used. And I have had the Ghost Armor replaced on one but it had a lifetime warranty so no issue).

3). When you do get it be sure to put a pass code restriction on so in-app purchases require your password. Even if you child knows not to buy something he might do it accidentally.

There are a lot of nice educational games. We really enjoy StarWalk (if you're into stars). Some you might not consider educational. My grandson loves the hidden object games that also include puzzles. My granddaughter learned her numbers and letters using the Dora games when she was 3. So all in all well worth giving them the iPads.

23. Shanghaichica macrumors 603

Shanghaichica

I'm sure this has already been said but it's Sunday morning and my eyes can't take reading through all the replies. The Kindle Fire I'd not a proper android device.

24. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

Ehhh, maybe. I did root it, but I kept going back to the Amazon fork. I like Android on the phone, but don't like it in the tablet form.

25. Shanghaichica macrumors 603

Shanghaichica

Oh I see. If you rooted it then you can make it into an
    android tablet. I thought you meant out of the box. I
    agree though I think there is something missing in android tablets.