New to Apple, thoughts on buying used and pricing?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Dr.Duct_Mossburg, Feb 11, 2016.

1. Dr.Duct_Mossburg macrumors newbie

Hey all,

Potentially going to buy my first mac. Obviously with the new mac to launch I don't want to go and buy brand new to potentially be able to pick up nicer features in two or three months. The other option is to buy used from a reputable seller on eBay with a good Applecare plan still intact.

I would like a 1TB option but it would be a pure luxury and I think 512gb would be enough (just never know what the future holds for memory needs).

The one i'm looking at now is a 2014 (mid) with 2.4ghz and 1TB, latest OS, already loaded with Microsoft and Applecare until Feb 2018. Price on it is 2299.99.

Is this a pretty solid deal? I want to snag a good deal that way if the new 2016 model drops and has me wanting it, I won't lose to much trying to unload this one. I'd be patient and wait but my current laptop is essentially done and I don't want to push the envelope and lose all my data.

Thanks!

2. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

Not sure on US pricing but if you are looking at a dying computer buy a cheap external drive and back up your data, so you don't lose anything. This is a must for all computer users and will be great to use with time machine on your new Mac when you buy it, so you always have your data safe.

3. snaky69 macrumors 603

Then keep a good backup? Every single hard drive eventually dies. It's a matter of when, not if. Data recovery services are prohibitively expensive and there are no guarantees they'll be able to recover anything.

If you don't keep a backup handy, give yourself a sharp whack to the back of the head. Then go and purchase a nice external hard drive and get to it.

Any overly important files should be in at least 3 places: 1 internal copy, a copy on an external and a third copy off site should the house burn down.

4. ajcgn macrumors regular

ajcgn

I added a cloud back up for a similar reason. Girl at work had her pc and back up hard drive stolen.

As to the original post, I have an early 2011 MBP and I am still using it every day. From what I have read, the 2012 model isn't that much slower than the 2014. So depending on your needs, an older machine might be good too.

5. Dr.Duct_Mossburg thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah ill be going to get a hard drive today in order to transfer the stuff from one computer to the other. I have one now but the transfer speeds are slow. Most of my stuff is kept on my phone (128gb s6) the bigger bulkier files are movies that I can re download at anytime. Its just some files and pictures of my daughter, dogs, etc.

It's funny I was actually looking up old reviews. The older processor (2.2) is significantly cheaper ($1400ish vs $2400ish). I may go that route if I can find one with applecare.

6. dsmedic10 macrumors member

Always get a backup scheme going regardless of the computer you have or want. I use CCC and I have it backing up on an external drive that I occasionally test by booting it.

7. kschendel macrumors 6502a

As usual, it depends on what you use the laptop for. If it's mostly email, web, a bit of word or spreadsheet stuff, I think you would be fine with one of the older models. I suggest sticking to a Retina display, though -- I personally wouldn't go back. (I assume you're looking at a 15 inch display, because otherwise why not one of the non-Pro models?) If however you're gaming, or run CPU intensive apps, then I'd stick to a recent model. The 2014 deal you quoted seems reasonable to me.

One tip, though, don't short on RAM. I definitely wouldn't go below 8 Gb unless you're sticking with Mavericks, and 16 Gb is better.

8. hotrod351 macrumors 6502

hotrod351