New to iOS, Email Question?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MacMike81, Sep 23, 2012.

1. MacMike81 macrumors member

I have been with Android since day one so I am heavily invested in Google currently.

I will be receiving my iPhone5 very soon. When I set it up for the first time should I use my "master" iTunes account or create a @me?

I dont plan on abandoning my Gmail simply because family and friends have my email... But I would like to integrate all of Apples goodness into my life... :)

2. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

I've been using my normal itunes id (which happens to be a gmail address) with few (if any) problems. Making a new id will simply create way too many problems.

I'm new to iPhone too, so I might not be experiencing all of the potential problems as of yet. I'm curious to hear what others' experiences have been.

One problem I had was syncing notes. I figured I could just add my itunes id and it would all sync through iCloud, but it wanted me to make an @icloud.com id to do this. I wasn't thrilled to do it (and I didn't), as I was concerned that I might run into multiple apple id issues that people were having a while ago.

3. MacMike81 thread starter macrumors member

I do currently have a iTunes account (xxx@gmail.com) AND a iCloud (xxx@me.com)

I also have a MBP and iPad. It is VERY important that I am able to independently imessage between iPhone and MBP/iPad. I am not very concerned about the MBP and iPad being synced because they hardly leave the house.

From what Ive been reading apparently you can link iTunes AND iCloud with different @me's across all devices.

If this is true I would maybe like to try the iPhone like it was ment to be and sign up for a second @me and call it something like my Iphone@me.com and then sync my gmail to it instead of vice versa

4. bluespark macrumors 65816

Set up an iCloud.com/me.com address for iCloud, but definitely keep your Gmail address as your main e-mail address for everything else. For one thing, you're already used to it, but e-mail is also one if the things Google does really well, so that gives you the best of both worlds. I love the way the iPhone's Mail app handles multiple e-mail accounts, and it plays very well with Gmail.

5. MacMike81 thread starter macrumors member

Should I make a new @me of use my existing one?