new to iPad: how to get movie from desktop to iPad?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by malch, Jan 19, 2011.

1. malch macrumors 6502

Hi there,
    I've managed to get a document from my desktop onto my iPad, by using Google documents (I know I could have emailed it to myself as well).
    But how do I get a movie from my desktop to my iPad? Do I copy the movie (first converted to an mpeg4 file, as I understand it) to iTunes, and then get it onto the iPad? Or is there another way.
    Thanks,
    malch

2. Bulldog3777 macrumors 6502

Movie To Ipad

I put mine in Itunes and then synch the Ipad. If the movie is not in the correct format, I use Handbrake.

3. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

4. Stetrain macrumors 68040

You can also move documents to the iPad using iTunes. If you find the app in the apps tab for your iPad, and the app supports importing documents, you can drag the files there.

5. malch thread starter macrumors 6502

thanks everyone... iTunes it is...
    regards,
    malch

6. bossxii macrumors 68000

Convert to MP4 format via Handbrake or other free converters. Import into iTunes, sync.

Other option if your using the files on your local wifi network is apps such as Air Video works well. Leaving any number of formated video files on your computer and simply streaming to the iPad. The Air server software you install on the host PC converts video on the fly so the iPad can play them. It does work over 3G connection as well.

7. Stetrain macrumors 68040

Dropbox is another option, I've used it for photos and documents. does anyone know for sure if you can play a movie via Dropbox?

8. Set845 macrumors regular

Another option is Airview, a free app. Convert the video to mp4 and add to iTunes library. Then launch the app on the iPad and play the video in iTunes. In iTunes you will see your iOS device as an option to stream to. No need to sync the video to the iPad. As long as the devices are on the same local wifi network then you will be good to go. Nothing to install or configure on your computer. You can even stream from, say, an iPhone to an iPad. From the iPad you can then choose to stream the audio portion out to an Airport express! It works great. The audio stays in sync with the video. A phone call or text message (if using an iPhone) will break the stream though.