New to iPhone. Need advice on battery life.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by snarestud940, Apr 15, 2013.

1. snarestud940 macrumors 6502

Hey guys, I used to have an unlocked iPhone five running on the T-Mobile network. My 3G toggle was almost always turned off. I only turned it on when I
    I would have 3G in the area. Now that I have the actual T-Mobile iPhone 5, I get 4G almost everywhere. However I do notice that my battery dies a lot quicker.

Can I just be used to my old iPhone having edge speeds, and then the battery would last longer? Is it possible that 4G actually drains the battery a lot quicker? Just a question, because I don't know these things. Sorry if I have a repost. I tried searching for this topic, but I didn't see any results that pertained to this particular subject.

I guess what I'm asking is, what is the average iPhone 5 battery life with 3G/4G? I check my Facebook about 8 to 10 times per day, have my Gmail set on push every 15 minutes. And I do average texting during the day. I lose about 8 to 9% an hour. Unless I am on standby and do not touch my phone for a good hour. In that time I only lose about 3 to 4%, if that. I find myself losing a lot more battery when I'm on 4G, rather than Wi-Fi. I usually keep it plugged in in the car as well. Is this average? Or am I losing too much battery? From about 12:30 PM to 4:30 PM today I went from 100% down to 73%. Is this common?

Sorry for all the questions! And thank you in advance for your responses!

2. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

Look up you're usage stats (settings>general>usage). That will tell you how much uptime your phone has had. You should see a larger number on standby than on usage if all is going right.

Losing 25% battery in four hours while not in use is certainly unusual. If you were using it during that time, it's certainly not, depending in what you are going of course.

You can also certainly turn off data and see how your battery does then. If it mimics how it was before, well, you have your answer.

3. Ann P macrumors 68020

Like the other user suggested, monitor the Usage and Standby percentage. I usually get 8-9 hours on Edge, and around 6 hours or so on 4G. Hope that helps.

4. BoostDeuce macrumors member

I've found with my past phones that being crazy about battery life has hurt the battery life. I would always plug them in if they got to 70% or below. After about a year of constant plugging in, my battery wouldn't last half the day. Now I just plug my phone in at night.

My iphone 5 lasts all day for me which is about 15 hours of standby with 3-4 hours of usage. Its usually at 50-60% by the end of the day. I'm on wifi quite a bit but do a lot of browsing on LTE as well.

5. takeshi74 macrumors 601

There's no such thing. Battery life varies quite a bit by individual usage and other conditions (such as coverage). You have to determine what your baseline is for comparison.

Could be 4G. Could be coverage. Could be a combination.

If it's push you'll get new mail as it arrives. If you're pulling you specify intervals. Frequent polling intervals can impact battery life.