New to iphone, no signal

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Overkill2009, Apr 8, 2013.

1. Overkill2009 macrumors newbie

Hi all,

I've just bought a second-hand iphone 5 which has a problem.

I was told that it was originally on O2 contact (I don't know how to check that) but it came with a GiffGaff pay as you go (I think) SIM. It says at the top "O2-UK" and I've seen "3G" come up next to it, but I don't get any signal bars.

I've checked to see if the IMIE was blocked and it's not, plus I believe if it was blocked it would just say "NO SERVICE".

I've seen one bar appear on the signal bar, which would maybe make you think it was an antenna problem, but where I live the reception is really poor and it still comes up O2-UK, so the antenna must be good. I should add that I have try the phone in a strong signal area and it still has no signal.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

2. enoC macrumors 6502

enoC

Tried restoring and setting it up as new in iTunes? Are you sure that the current sim Card you are using is active? Maybe test it in another phone.

3. Overkill2009 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the reply, I did a complete reset and yes, the sim card is activated. I've just ordered a sim convertor, so I can test it in my android phone.

4. Overkill2009 thread starter macrumors newbie

An update and recap:

1. GiffGaff SIM works fine in android phone
    2. Still get O2-UK service but no signal when in iPhone 5

Any ideas?

5. Ste Nova macrumors 6502

6. Overkill2009 thread starter macrumors newbie

7. Overkill2009 thread starter macrumors newbie

The O2 SIM is the same, I get the O2-UK service but no signal bars.

I've just done a full reset via iTunes but it's made no difference.

I will try it in a strong signal area.

8. dictoresno macrumors 601

dictoresno

it sounds like you are in a poor signal area or something is wrong with the phones antenna.

9. Overkill2009 thread starter macrumors newbie

I am in a poor signal area but I think the antenna must be OK because I do get the service come up.

I had already tried it in a strong signal area, but I've since swapped the SIM and reset the phone, so I will try it again.

10. jonasdamn macrumors 6502a

take your iphone to apple store for exchange. I had got a replacement because of light leakage and that replacement gave me always No service. I took back to apple store and they gave me again replacement and within i have 5 signal bars from 5 and using same sim card. Seems that antenna is broken of your iphone

11. Overkill2009 thread starter macrumors newbie

I bought the phone second-hand, it has no warranty.

12. macgrl macrumors 65816

Can you get replacements on second hand phones? Do you need original receipts etc?

13. jonasdamn macrumors 6502a

Have you checked warranty of your iphone by serial code at apple website? You dont need any purchase documents, they check by serial.
    Because if your sim card works with other phones and you have made restore firmware and didnt help then it is hardware issue

14. dictoresno macrumors 601

dictoresno

the iphone 5 regardless of how many owners its been though, is still under its 1 year manufactures warranty. take it to apple and have them look at it.

15. Overkill2009 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, I will try that, the nearest Apple store is 40 miles away, so it will have to wait awhile.