New to Iphone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Marketgarden, Nov 11, 2011.

1. Marketgarden macrumors newbie

Hey guys, I am new to smartphones but I just ordered a iphone4 for a very good price at Verizon. I was just wondering if you guys could recommend some good apps and popular cases that you guys get. Also, can I also upgrade to IO5 and get Icloud for free on the 4? Thanks a lot for your help!

2. verwon macrumors 68030

verwon

Yes on the update and iCloud.

The other stuff depends on your preferences, what do you like and/or need?

3. Marketgarden thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm looking for something sleek case wise, not super bulky.

4. PhoenixMac macrumors 65816

Try the accessories forum lots of great reviews on cases and try YouTube to see more indepth reviews

5. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

On cases you have two choices.

The larger and more bulky cases like the Otterbox offer the most protection but make you phone huge and brick like.

Sleeker cases like the Barely There do nothing for drops but will protect against light scratches.

Check out the accessory forum and there a lot of details

6. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

I often switch from a Virgin Mobile bumper to an Otterbox commuter. The Commuter series cases don't bulk up the phone that much while still providing good protections so if you're out partying or something and still want to bring your phone, a Otterbox would be a good choice.

7. Young Spade macrumors 68020

I find that smaller cases do protect from drops, but only certain kinds.

Myself, I'm using a thin, clear, acrylic case that only covers the back and sides and gives the phone a small lip in the front. That's all the protections I really need.

If I drop the phone on its face, the screen is going to be cracked. I know that. However, if I drop the phone any other way, the acrylic will take the blunt and, although the force is generally not absorbed, the phone itself won't get scuffed or broken.

Plus, I'm not one to throw my phone off of a table. If I drop it, I'll catch it with my foot before it hits the ground.

I also don't have my phone in my pocket or anything when I'm moving at higher speeds (bike), so it's only stationary drops that are possible.

All in all, get what is comfortable for you. I also have a silicon case that provides complete protection along with an Incipio Feather. All are thin and all are great at providing protection.

8. Ktdhc macrumors member

Don't get a case. They ruin the look of your phone.

What's the point of preserving the beauty of your phone if you're gonna hide it behind a case anyway?

9. TallGuy1970 macrumors 6502

There is a middle ground for me. Case-mate and many other manufacturers make semi-rigid silicone cases (sometimes called gel or gelli cases). I have one from Rocketfish that I love. Doesn't make the phone too bulky, but offers decent protection. I have dropped it a couple of times on cement with no damage to the phone.