New to Jailbreaking. Couple of Questions.

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by iloveiphone7, Mar 16, 2011.

1. iloveiphone7 macrumors newbie

I just got the new iPhone 4 (4.2.1) and I decided I would like to jailbreak it, but I am scared of voiding the warranty and causing it to slow down or worse. I do have an iphone 3 which I successfully jailbroke on Sunday using green poison. Since that time, I've been able to change themes on the wallpaper and SMS page. What I am wondering is if I do the same to my iphone 4, will it void the warranty? I am afraid of doing this in case my iphone breaks and I need to send it to Apple for repair. Also, will it cause my brand new phone to slow down?

Please let me know. I really want to jailbreak it but I am worried about all of the things above.

Thanks!

2. plaxico44 macrumors regular

plaxico44

It will void the warrantee, but if something happens to the phone, all you have to do is reset and restore and Apple has no way of knowing. It will most likely not hinder the performance of you phone at all. If you decide that you don't like the jailbreak, all you have to do is restore.

3. iloveiphone7 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, I might do it. I am also afraid of my phone physically breaking. I had my iphone 3 for 1.5 years and it looks brand new because I always had cases on it. I dropped the thing numerous times on all types of floors and the road and it still worked. Iphones seem to be built strong. I already ordered like 3 cases for this one.

Does yours run slower since you jailbroke it? Does it drain the battery a lot?

4. iloveiphone7 thread starter macrumors newbie

Also, is there a way to get video or live wallpaper on iphone?

5. plaxico44 macrumors regular

plaxico44

The iPhone 4 is built totally different than the previous. The whole thing is glass except for the antenna so its more susceptible to crack if dropped.

Mine doesn't run any slower since the jailbreak and i've have no hit on battery at all. I've noticed to more you stay away from cracked apps, the better the performance.

There is but that will definitely have an effect on the battery life.

6. iloveiphone7 thread starter macrumors newbie

I figured it would. How do you get the video wallpaper themes? I am in cydia looking for them.

What are cracked apps?

Sorry for all of the questions.

7. Prodo123 macrumors 68020

Prodo123

Google "animated wallpaper iPhone". Most likely, vWallpaper is your best bet.

Cracked apps are works of piracy. Illegal apps whose authentication code is "cracked" and is able to be downloaded by anyone for free. The downside is, it's ILLEGAL, devs get pissed at you, and these apps can never be updated until the new update is cracked; likewise, when the pirate decides to abandon cracking an app, that pirated app could be stuck at v2.0 when the legal release is at v3.8.
    Also, cracked apps are one of the leading ways you can get a virus on your iOS device, the other ways being going to a BS website and syncing viruses over via iTunes.

8. iloveiphone7 thread starter macrumors newbie

Well I'm definitely not going to do any of that.

I mainly just want to jailbreak my phone for the cool themes in both wallpaper and SMS. I also want to get that thing that allows you to see missed calls, text messages, e-mail etc from your lock screen. There's also a pull down bar you can get. I have no idea what all of these apps are called but I plan to get them soon for my phone.

9. Prodo123, Mar 16, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2011

Prodo123 macrumors 68020

Prodo123

SBSettings is the pulldown bar.
    Winterboard is the themes.
    You will want VoiceActivator, name's self explanatory. Goes with your needs.
    MobileNotifier is a much better notification system.
    Don't know about the lock screen, I forgot.

+1, that's what it was.

10. ugahairydawgs macrumors 68020

ugahairydawgs

The app you're looking for is LockInfo

11. plaxico44 macrumors regular

plaxico44

12. iloveiphone7 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you guys sooo much for all of these awesome replies. I had NO idea what the names of all of these apps were called.

I am still kind of apprehensive of jailbreaking my new iPhone 4. I read an article called "10 Reasons NOT to Jailbreak Your Phone" and besides voiding the warranty one reason was people could get access to your information and stuff. But I was thinking with the little things I plan to download (stated above) would I really be at high risk for someone to hack into my info?

13. Prodo123 macrumors 68020

Prodo123

Except Lockinfo, nothing else could give away any info unless you don't have any security on your iPhone.
    And if you get a virus on a jailbroken iPhone, you can kiss that goodbye. There's no antivirus for an iPhone, so once you jailbreak your iPhone it is 100% prone to hacks no matter what.

14. iloveiphone7 thread starter macrumors newbie

What type of security are you talking about for my iphone? Is it a download or an app?

15. Prodo123 macrumors 68020

Prodo123

A password lock, Android-puzzle lock, or any other kind of lock screen security, both Cydia packages and basic iOS features.

16. Dino F macrumors 68020

Dino F

I'm also a complete noob at jailbreaking but I'm considering doing a JB on my iPhone 4 which is still on 4.2.1 however, I have a few questions of my own!!

1. Will I lose my Contacts, Calander, texts and photos?
    2. Will I lose all the Apps that I currently have on my phone?
    3. If I don't lose the Apps from my phone, can I still connect to Apples App. Store and update/buy Apps?
    4. Can I still connect to iTunes (the iTunes App) and buy music and stuff?

Thanks!

17. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

As long as you back it up to itunes before you jailbreak, you will have no trouble.

1. No
    2. No.
    3. Yes
    4. Yes.

18. Dino F macrumors 68020

Dino F

Brilliant - thanks for the confirmation!

What's the best software to use to JB my iPhone 4 on 4.2.1?

19. rick snagwell macrumors 68040

rick snagwell

green p0ison

20. mtnbkr macrumors newbie

Thanks to everyone for the Q's and A's. I had a lot of the same questions but didn't want to post them. I think I'm going to try a JB today. I'm on a work phone with my emails, calendar and contacts synced to my work's Outlook. I really hope I don't screw anything up or I will be in deep crap.

I had read a long time ago about having to change a root password or something like that following a JB. Do you still have to do that?

21. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

Greenpois0n for sure.

22. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

Only if you want to SSH into your iphone through cyberduck or something like that. Don't worry about it! As long as your not trying to unlock the phone, theres really no way you can mess it up by jailbreaking. The worst that can happen is you would have to restore.

23. Dino F macrumors 68020

Dino F

......the main reasons I want to try to JB my iPhone is to get stuff like custom text tones, wi-fi tethering and being able to watch Flash content embedded in certain websites. I'm guessing that these things are possible on a JB iPhone?! (among other stuff)

24. Prodo123 macrumors 68020

Prodo123

1. Custom text tones - Yes
    2. Wi-fi tethering - Yes
    3. Flash - LULZ no. Even jailbreaking won't get you Flash.

25. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

Yup. You can download the Skyfire web browser from Apple's app store to watch flash content.