New to Mac: Downloading songs from Youtube/Imeem?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by derek1984, Aug 4, 2009.

1. derek1984 macrumors 6502a

I just switched from a PC to a Mac a couple months ago and I am still learning. When I had my PC, I was easily able to rip songs off Youtube and Imeem and convert them into mp3 format to my hard drive. I downloaded a program that ripped the song as it was playing, and then I went to a website that would convert the file into mp3. My question is, is there a way I can do this on a Mac? If so, what programs would I need to install? I have already tried GetTube but unfortunately that doesn't work for every song I have tried to get on Youtube. The songs I am interested in downloading are not available on iTunes. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

2. matthewscott661 macrumors 6502

matthewscott661

If you're using firefox for your web browsing, try looking for add-ons that can do what you describe. I use video download helper for firefox to save youtube videos, and it works quite well. Some add-ons can even convert automatically as they save the file, so you don't have to do it yourself later.
    If you're not using firefox for your web browsing, get firefox.

3. dukeofism macrumors member

Is this legal to do.. ever? I'm pretty sure this stuff is all covered by copyright laws

4. guydude193 macrumors 6502a

You could try buying them from a retail store if they don't have the songs you'd like in iTunes. MacRumors' Forums are not a place for help amongst illegal topics.

5. raai8 macrumors newbie

Easiest way is using Compressor

The ultimate easiest way to get songs off Youtube is downloading the flv file, go on Compressor and convert it to whatever. Mp3 conversion takes like 10 seconds.
    To get the flv file on Safari search for the largest file on the Activity window (Window>Activity or Option-Command-A) under the youtube tab (with the video opened) then Option-DoubleClick it to download it.

6. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

In Safari, open your Activities window. Find the file (usually several mb in size) and click on it once to highlight it. Then choose Edit > Copy. Now open your Safari's Downloads window and then choose Edit > Paste. Download should begin. When done, transcode with any number of software, including Handbrake and Quicktime extraction.