New to mac --> My review of 13" 2011!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Predemptionz, Mar 24, 2011.

1. Predemptionz macrumors newbie

Hello there!

The last 3 months I've been living on these forums, literally! Checking them many times each day. I've been wanting a mac for about 5 months, but with the rumors of a macbook pro refresh around the beginning of 2011 i decided to wait and see if it bested the air.

I'm a student in Denmark at something equivalent to high school (I guess).
    I do a little amount of gaming and I've always used windows. I've always felt very home in windows and generally troubleshooting the problems is often just a google search away. Anyhow I had a fine windows laptop but I just wanted something nicer, so I decided to sell it for half the price of the 2011 13" Pro and then I bought it.

I was anxious like a little child, but when the package arrived i felt a little disappointed because the UPS guys had given it a rough ride and the macbook case itself had a crack. Anyhow I took a picture of it (for safety) and unpacked it.

Apple packaging is awesome, delicious machine in a wonderful wrap!
    I instantly felt home in OS X, i love the mousepad, it's just so much better to use while browsing with the size and multitouch gestures!

One of my main concerns was the graphics, this is the reason i didn't instantly went out and bought it, i wanted to know how powerful they were. I thought it was a little silly to put such a powerful processor and then bottleneck it with a ****** GPU. Anyhow I installed WoW and it runs at an acceptable/playable rate for light gaming.

The battery life is good, my old windows machine would last around 4 hours in school if used a little wisely and this holds at least 7 hours (if you don't sit on facebook the whole school day!)

Conclusion:

With this review I wanted to target the people who were like me and wondering wether they should go Pro og Air. It ultimately comes down to your needs, if portability is very important, and you are not going to run any heavy tasks, then go for the air, else I would advise you to go for the Pro.
    The difference in size and weight is not that great after all. If you can carry a 15.4" around - then 13" will be no problem at all!
    The resell value is also much better if the Airs gets and powerful upgrade around june.

I'm liking my new Pro a lot! And whatever you pick it's gonna be a win-win situation for you.

But make sure you are browsing and not gaming most of the time before you go and buy this, else I would advise to go for a better windows machine or the options of a macbook + a desktop/console!

Have a nice day :)

//Predemptionz

2. sydenham macrumors regular

I think you will be very happy with your machine. You mentioned troubleshooting in Windows. You won't have to do any troubleshooting with OSX and that is what you pay for. It may not be the best gaming machine, but the time you save will be well worth it.

3. Predemptionz thread starter macrumors newbie

Exactly, that's a luxury! That's also what makes it a really really cool computer for school, it's fast to launch my appz, and it don't crash.
    When you need to take those good notes in class you don't have time to troubleshoot because your goddamn word has chosen to go bazinga :)

4. macimby macrumors newbie

IMHO, that seems to be a bit of an overstatement based on problems reported in these forums. FWIW, I've had no troubles with Win7 at all and only a couple managable ones with Vista, and I do challenge my equipment, but of course YMMV.