NEW to MAC & OSX: Install OS X and iLife on fresh HDD

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by grapii, Apr 25, 2010.

1. grapii macrumors member

Hi Guys,

I'm hoping my MBP gets delivered soon. I already have the intel x25-M ready to swap in the MBP. But as I've never used a MAC before or the OS, could you please help me out.

I believe the OS will be preinstalled on the stock HDD, will the box contain the OS X disc? also what about iLife? will the disc exist in the box with this or is it part of OS X?

I placed a custom order and asked for iWork which will be preinstalled....i'm assuming that this disc will also be included in the box.

Finally do you have quick steps on installing everything from scratch onto the SSD and making it just like the stock HDD.

Thanks

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

MRoogle will answer your question.

iLife and everything else that is installed on the MBP will be also on the restore DVDs (2) in the box.

Installation is easy, just pop in the DVD 1 and hold down C and wait for the Mac to finish booting from the DVD. Choose the language and what you want to install.
    After the installation is finished, you can install iLife from the second DVD.

You can also use CarbonCopyCloner and SuperDuper to clone the "old" HDD to the new SSD if one is in an external USB enclosure for 2.5" HDDs.

Again, MRoogle will give you dozens if not more (probably dozens times dozens) threads about all of this, as it is asked twice or more per day.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. paintballswimgu macrumors 6502

Do a fresh install to the new SSD. When you do the instal, customize the operating system. Delete all the languages and printer drivers that you don't need. If you only use 1 printer, you can always get that driver online. If you do this method, you will get about 2.5 GB of space back during the instalation.

Next grab the applications disk that came with your mac, and install it, this has all of the ilife apps on it.

Finally, check for updates, and download any new updates to osx and your apple programs.

4. drayon macrumors 6502

Sure, i'll help teach you some correct English!! The computer you bought is a 'Macintosh'. The abbreviation used is 'Mac', not 'MAC'!!!

MAC (all caps) denotes an acronym, meaning each capital letter represents a dedicated word in a phrase or the words to make up a technical term. In relevance to computing 'MAC' is the acronym for 'Media Access Control' a.k.a. a 'MAC Address'. When every illiterate Windows user comes here and says 'MAC' they are often mistaken you asking questions about ethernet hardware addresses.

Now you can teach all your Windows friends some basic English. This is the first step to using a computer, basic 4th grade English ;-)

5. grapii thread starter macrumors member

I can't make out whether you're bored or just anal.....I'll go with the latter.