New to Macs and going to college need some advice on picking a computer.

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by AaronF, Jul 30, 2010.

1. AaronF
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors newbie

I'm an advid PC user, I love my Desktop PC but I'm going to college and need a mobile computer for use with college work and travelling. I am doing programming and want to learn about the Mac platform.
    My mum has a macbook with OS X leopard on it, I've used it but I prefer Vista and Windows 7.

So the thing is I don't know if I should continue to use my Vista desktop with college work. Or get a macbook or a netbook for use on the go because I go on some holidays and want to do work during the journey because I love to work so heres the thing:

A: Continue to use my PC for projects
    B: Get a Macbook for use for college work and PC for other stuff.
    C: Get a netbook and PC for other stuff.
    D: Get a Macbook\ Laptop to replace my desktop.
    E: Get a macbook and bootcamp Windows 7

Could you give a balanced view on what option to choose and your reasons why.
    Also I would like advice on how to get emerced in a mac GUI because I allways prefered the Windows Aero GUI.
    All answers that are constructive are welcome.

2. iBookG4user
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 604

iBookG4user

I'd check out the 13" MacBook Pro and then put windows 7 on it as well. That way you can use both operating systems and see which you prefer, or another option would be to get Parallels and use windows in a virtual machine. The major reason why I make this suggestion is because the battery life is amazing on the 13". As for getting used to Mac OS X, Apple has a plethora of tutorials here that you should take a look at :)

3. AaronF
    Expand Collapse
    thread starter macrumors newbie

Will I have to pay a large some of money for this my budget isn't much. If its other £500 then I will have to get a job or get a student loan which is going to be tricky since the programming game design coarse is national diploma and according to students done it eats up alot of spare time so I don't want to have to work long hours to get one. By the way I'm 16.
    Plus do you think I should replace my desktop with one or use in conjunction with it.

4. Mac7
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 6502a

Mac7

5. AaronF
    Expand Collapse
    thread starter macrumors newbie

6. R94N
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 68020

R94N

I think you should replace it. If you're mostly going to be using your computer on the go, then the laptop is a better idea. However, using it in conjunction would be a good idea as well - you could do all your work whilst away on the laptop and then move it over to the desktop when you get back. I'm not sure. It's up to you, after all :)