Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Chase R

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 8, 2008
PDX
First off I'd like to say that I'm sick of PC's! lol anyways onto my question.

I've narrowed down my laptop search to the 15.4" MacBook Pro. I'm an engineering student, Aerospace to be exact, and getting ready to transfer to SDSU. I want to be able to run 3D CAD software very well which is why I chose the MBP over the MB. So I have a few questions regarding the two 15.4" models:

How much better is the 2.5GHz processor (6MB L2 ache) compared to the 2.4GHz processor (3MB L2 cache)?

They both have the NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GT graphics card, however, one has 256MB of GDDR3 memory while the other has 512MB of GDDR3 memory. I'm not really an expert here so what does this mean? How much better is the 512MB version than the 256MB version? Is it really that noticeable?

I also heard that lately the MBP's have been shipping out with Boot Camp that runs Windows programs at 64-bit instead of the advertised 32-bit. Is this true?

Also, is 4GB of SDRAM worth the $200?

I'm just trying to see if the higher-end 15.4" version of the MBP is worth the extra money over the base model as I'm working off a college budget here. Sorry if this is a lot of questions.

Thanks

Dragonforce

macrumors 6502a
Apr 9, 2008
Germany
You won't feel any increase in speed. Its measureable, but you won't feel it in daily use. The extra $ going from the 2.4 GHz to the 2.5 GHz model isn't worth it, but the $ for the 4GB of RAM are. Just make sure to not buy the RAM from Apple - buy it from Newegg or something and upgrade it by yourself. Its easy as pie and done in less then 5 minutes. And you don't void your warranty.

nick9191

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2008
Britain
Yes the processor makes a big difference to the bigger cache. Depending on what your doing, ditto for the graphics.

Don't buy the RAM off apple, buy it off newegg for $70 and fit it yourself, its easy and theres loads of tutorials on youtube etc. and it doesn't void the warranty.

Chase R

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 8, 2008
PDX
Thanks for the reply. I think I will probably end up sticking with the 2.4GHz MBP and upgrading the ram myself like you both said. What about the Boot Camp question... is that true or not? Would 64-bit make the running of Windows native software, such as SolidWorks, even faster?

Dragonforce

macrumors 6502a
Apr 9, 2008
Germany
Yes the processor makes a big difference to the bigger cache. Depending on what your doing, ditto for the graphics.

A big difference ?

You can't be serious... it makes a difference of maybe a couple of seconds computing time if you put like 100% load on the cores - and the graphics RAM will most likely never put to use, not even by games. Theres a couple of interesting articles and benchmarks at http://www.barefeats.com

Seriously, the differnce between the 2.4 and 2.5 GHz stock models is minimal. It just enlarges your epeen if you have the 2.5 GHz model over your friends epeen, who "only" has the 2.4 GHz model :D

Bootcamp accepts 32 bit / 64 bit Windows XP with Service Pack 2 and 32 bit / 64 bit Windows Vista. Its your choice which you want to install.

Chase R

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 8, 2008
PDX
A big difference ?

You can't be serious... it makes a difference of maybe a couple of seconds computing time if you put like 100% load on the cores - and the graphics RAM will most likely never put to use, not even by games. Theres a couple of interesting articles and benchmarks at http://www.barefeats.com

Seriously, the differnce between the 2.4 and 2.5 GHz stock models is minimal. It just enlarges your epeen if you have the 2.5 GHz model over your friends epeen, who "only" has the 2.4 GHz model :D

Bootcamp accepts 32 bit / 64 bit Windows XP with Service Pack 2 and 32 bit / 64 bit Windows Vista. Its your choice which you want to install.

Haha thats pretty funny you bring up the epeen.

And thanks for the clarification on Boot Camp.

What about the choice in hard drives. Will there be a noticeable difference between the 5400RPM HD and the 7200RPM HD (both 200GB)? Worth the extra $100?

Dragonforce

macrumors 6502a
Apr 9, 2008
Germany
If you work with large files, you will notice a difference. A bigger difference than 2.4 GHz > 2.5 GHz (3 MB 2nd L Cache > 6 MB 2nd L Cache) :D

A 7200 RPM drive tends to be more noisy, cause more vibrations and eats up your battery faster than a 5400 RPM drive. Its up to you if you want to upgrade. But yeah, like I said, you'll notice it. Apps start faster, Mac boots faster, etc.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.