Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

phunkdified

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 17, 2007
Hi!

I just received my new 15" MacBook Pro today and I couldn't help but play with all the widgets and such. However, I'm so used to Windows/PC that I'm completely lost on setting up the internet connection on my MBP. I'm so confused on "wireless connections/networks" and I'm pretty sure I don't have WiFi (unless I do, then I'm pretty stupid) since I have an HP computer that has a DSL modem/connection (which is pretty old, '04). That's the only ethernet connection I have in my house. I just really wanna get Safari up and running on my MBP. I've been doing a little research on Apple.com about the AirPort Extreme. Do I have to purchase that in order to have an internet connection? Ahh! I'm such a noob at this and I'm kinda computer illiterate . . .

Can someone help me out?

iBookG4user

macrumors 604
Jun 27, 2006
Seattle, WA
You should just be able to plug in the ethernet cable and have it work. You can get a router if you want to go on the internet and don't want to be tethered to the ethernet cable.

phunkdified

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 17, 2007
But wouldn't connecting the ethernet cable to my MBP lose the internet connection on the HP computer?

What's a router? Haha! Sorry! I said I was "computer illiterate". Would that be the only thing I have to buy? And where can you buy them? Radio Shack?

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
A router allows you to share an internet connection normally meant for one computer (like your DSL connection).

I don't know if Radio Shack sells routers, but I've seen them at Best Buy, Circuit City, Target, CompUSA, and WalMarts.

FJ218700

macrumors 68000
Mar 8, 2007
Blue Dot, Red State
for now, with one ethernet line, yes, choose either the PC or the Mac. On the mac, in system preferences, go to network, in the show menu choose built in ethernet, and try connecting using DHCP.

if this works with your DSL router, later on we can show you how to broadcast your ethernet connection wirelessly so that the PC can have a connection too (if the PC has a wireless card) via internet sharing.

edit: or yeah, buy a wireless router for both computers (see below)

iBookG4user

macrumors 604
Jun 27, 2006
Seattle, WA
Yes, since modems only have one ethernet cable, you can only have one computer connected to the internet at a time. Since you want to use both computers on the internet I suggest you get a wireless router. A wireless router basically broadcasts your internet signal, kinda like a radio, any computer that picks up the signal can connect to it and go on the internet. If you want the best router, get the router that Apple makes, although Netgear also makes decent routers and they are cheaper. Any place like Best Buy or CompUSA will have a wireless router, you can also order them online.

phunkdified

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 17, 2007
Mmkay. I think I understand the wireless router now. It's just that box-type thing, right? And it would be the only thing I need?

So you say to buy the one from Apple. That's the AirPort one, right?

AirPort Extreme Base Station

So with that one, do I need to buy an ethernet cable to put it in there? Or do I just plug it in and then follow the setup CD it comes with?

AirPort Express Base Station with AirTunes

Or would this one be just fine? And same question about the ethernet cable.

iBookG4user

macrumors 604
Jun 27, 2006
Seattle, WA
Mmkay. I think I understand the wireless router now. It's just that box-type thing, right? And it would be the only thing I need?

So you say to buy the one from Apple. That's the AirPort one, right?

AirPort Extreme Base Station

So with that one, do I need to buy an ethernet cable to put it in there? Or do I just plug it in and then follow the setup CD it comes with?

AirPort Express Base Station with AirTunes

Or would this one be just fine? And same question about the ethernet cable.

The airport express should be fine for you, and all you need to do is plug the ethernet cable into it and it should work fine.

FJ218700

macrumors 68000
Mar 8, 2007
Blue Dot, Red State
I like the extreme, unless you really want the wireless speaker set-up. The ethernet cable that is currently running to your PC will run into the Airport Extreme, will will broadcast that signal. There is an airport setup utility in the applications -- >utilites folder to that will allow you to encrypt the network. You can also hook up a printer or external hard drive to the extreme.

phunkdified

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 17, 2007
Oh, okay cool! :)

I think the express one will be fine. So all I have to do is take the ethernet cable from my HP computer and plug it in the AirPort and everything will be good? Is there anything I have to do with my HP to configure with the WiFi, or will it just automatically adjust to the signal? I just wanna make sure that my PC will have internet since that's going to be my brother's computer.

iBookG4user

macrumors 604
Jun 27, 2006
Seattle, WA
Oh, okay cool! :)

I think the express one will be fine. So all I have to do is take the ethernet cable from my HP computer and plug it in the AirPort and everything will be good? Is there anything I have to do with my HP to configure with the WiFi, or will it just automatically adjust to the signal? I just wanna make sure that my PC will have internet since that's going to be my brother's computer.

Yup, that's all you have to do. And for the PC, just go to available wireless networks and select your network and you should be good to go.

mongoose8p

macrumors regular
May 15, 2007
Chicago
WAITT!
one thing you need to think about is the AIRPORT EXPRESS! does not have ethernet ports in the back! Your Laptop will be able to connect over the wireless but.. your pc will not unless it has a wireless CARD make sure your pc has a wireless card to connect and not just the port in the back if it doesn't get the AIRPORT EXTREME your computer can plug into the router and your laptop will work wirlessly so any questions email me at mongoose8p@gmail.com

phunkdified

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 17, 2007
Yup, that's all you have to do. And for the PC, just go to available wireless networks and select your network and you should be good to go.

Where do I find that? haha. Sorry again! I think that'll be my last question, and then I'm good to go. Thanks for all the help and answers!

iBookG4user

macrumors 604
Jun 27, 2006
Seattle, WA
WAITT!
one thing you need to think about is the AIRPORT EXPRESS! does not have ethernet ports in the back! Your Laptop will be able to connect over the wireless but.. your pc will not unless it has a wireless CARD make sure your pc has a wireless card to connect and not just the port in the back if it doesn't get the AIRPORT EXTREME your computer can plug into the router and your laptop will work wirlessly so any questions email me at mongoose8p@gmail.com

I extremely doubt that any laptop made in the last couple of years doesn't have a wireless card.

iBookG4user

macrumors 604
Jun 27, 2006
Seattle, WA
Where do I find that? haha. Sorry again! I think that'll be my last question, and then I'm good to go. Thanks for all the help and answers!

No problem, glad to help! :)

This site will show you where to find it if you scroll down a bit.

How would I know if my computer has one?

If you are able to view the "view available wireless networks" window, then you have a wireless card. :p

mongoose8p

macrumors regular
May 15, 2007
Chicago
No problem, glad to help! :)

This site will show you where to find it if you scroll down a bit.

If you are able to view the "view available wireless networks" window, then you have a wireless card. :p

if not then you will have to buy the airport extreme and is the hp a desktop or laptop

phunkdified

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 17, 2007
After reading that suggested website, I don't think my HP computer has a wireless card. =/

phunkdified

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 17, 2007
Then unfortunately it won't have a wireless card, I was assuming that it was a laptop. Although you can still purchase a wireless card for the desktop and use the airport express router. Something like this will work fine and it's very reasonably priced.

Oh, I see.

I know this might sound a little annoying, but is there a way to get an internet connection for my MBP without having to alter the connection with my HP desktop? Or is it necessary for the ethernet cable to plug into a router and buying the wireless card for the desktop? If not, that's fine. :) Thank you all so much for helping me understand all this better.

iBookG4user

macrumors 604
Jun 27, 2006
Seattle, WA
Oh, I see.

I know this might sound a little annoying, but is there a way to get an internet connection for my MBP without having to alter the connection with my HP desktop? Or is it necessary for the ethernet cable to plug into a router and buying the wireless card for the desktop? If not, that's fine. :) Thank you all so much for helping me understand all this better.

You could get the Airport Extreme, it has an ethernet port on the back that you could plug into the desktop.

mongoose8p

macrumors regular
May 15, 2007
Chicago
easy get aiport extreme
plug your modem or wherever you are hooking up your hp into the internet to the airport extreme you will then have wireless connectivity for your mbp then all you need to do is plug an ethernet cord from your pc(hp) into one of the 3 slots for wired connections on the back of the airport extreme hope this helps

aliquis-

macrumors 6502a
May 20, 2007
Five solutions:

1) Get a switch and two TP-cables, take your original one from the modem into the switch and then one of the new ones to the HP and another one to the mac.

2) Stupid solution: Get another network card and a crossed TP-cable, put the network card in the HP and share the connection with the mac.

3) Buy a wifi accesspoint of any brand, 802.11 b/g or even n if you want one which supports faster network speed. I guess they should work, but I doubt you can be 100% sure.

4) Get the Airport Express. This one supports 802.11 b/g which is what most people use. I don't know but probably you don't have an Internet connection faster than 54 mbps or even what you will actually get out of it so it won't matter that much that it's not top of the line. It's better than (3) because you can connect it to your stereo and printer and play music and print documents wireless.

5) Get the Airport Extreme. This one supports 802.11 n aswell which is much faster, but it also cost twice as much.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.