New to OS X (and Vista!) -- What is Equivalent to What?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by TuffLuffJimmy, Apr 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

ModNote: This post and the one immediately following it were moved out of this thread.

last week I was using windows vista and I was near tears. I had no idea how to do anything, where my documents were, where applications were, or how to know what application a window belonged to. Finally I had to ask my mom (a PC IT person), "How the hell do I get to my documents?!".

I felt so embarrassed.

(here's another dumb question I have, Is explorer basically the finder and safari?)

2. Macnoviz macrumors 65816

Macnoviz

explorer is basically the finder, internet explorer is basically safari

3. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

You'd be surprised at how similar Vista's general user folder structure is to the one Mac OS X uses. The basic folders are quite similar - Documents, Pictures, Downloads, etc. As for applications, you find them in the Windows Start Menu. If the program you want isn't in the recent list, open up All Programs and find the one you want. If it isn't there either, and you know the command to run it, that's what the Run... option in the Start Menu is for.

Windows Explorer is the equivalent of the Finder, and Internet Explorer is the equivalent of Safari - but note, there is a Windows version of Safari available, should you wish to use it.

4. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

i wouldn't let Mr Gates read this as he would swear blind Vista isn't a piss poor excuse/copy of OS X

5. TuffLuffJimmy thread starter macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

Whoa!
    I just wanted to point out that Vista could be confusing to a Mac user as OS X could be confusing to a PC user. This thread was moved (with the best intentions I'm sure) but I would like it closed so I don't look like such a moron.

I am in no way new to OS X!

6. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

Who's making you out to look like a moron?. I work in windows world for a living and often find myself coming home on my Mac and trying to look for things that aint there aswell not knowing were stuff is and vice versa when i get to work

7. TuffLuffJimmy thread starter macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

sorry, it's just that my post was moved and retitled by a moderator and my questions were more rhetorical. I greatly appreciate all the help that the posters in this thread were giving.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.