Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

marshallbedsaul

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 14, 2007
Utah
Hello,
I just bought my first macbook air a 2009 refurb purchased in January 2011, model is the 2.16 ghz 128 gb ssd, cam with remote external super drive and system disc paid 900. Was that a good deal not exactly sure?
I am coming from a 2010 2.66 macbook pro with 4gb ram 320gb hd.

I have a few questions if anyone could help me that would be great

First is since this is a refurb can I still buy 3 year applecare before jan 2012?
and will I be treated any differently since I have a refurb?

Second question I noticed battery cycle count is 30 and battery off full charge and after calibration only gets 2 hours of real use. Meaning just facebook email and basic web browsing.

Thirds I used CCC to back up my macbook pro and would like to install my back up on this air, How can I do this? Can I boot from my external HD that I backed up with.

Fourth what is the max I can upgrade the ram too?
Also could you please provide me a link with a reputable place to buy from.

Thank your for your answers and help :apple:

Last edited:

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
First is since this is a refurb can I still buy 3 year applecare before jan 2012?
Yes.
and will I be treated any differently since I have a refurb?
No.
Second question I noticed battery cycle count is 30 and battery off full charge and after calibration only gets 2 hours of real use.
This should answer most, if not all, of your battery questions:
Thirds I used CCC to back up my macbook pro and would like to install my back up on this air, How can I do this?
Launch CCC and follow the directions. Their help function will answer everything.
Can I boot from my external HD that I backed up with.
Yes. Just select that drive on the boot menu, by pressing the Option key during startup.

Startup key combinations for Intel-based Macs

marshallbedsaul

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 14, 2007
Utah
sorry still a a newb to ccc

I am still trying to figure out how to move all of my old mbp hd info to my new one still lost :(

nebulos

macrumors 6502a
Aug 27, 2010
I just bought my first macbook pro a 2009 refurb purchased in January 2011, model is the 2.16 ghz 128 gb ssd, cam with remote external super drive and system disc paid 900. Was that a good deal not exactly sure?
I am coming from a 2010 2.66 macbook pro with 4gb ram 320gb hd.

??????????????

EDIT: ... okay, i guess you mean the 2.13 MBA.

you paid $900 without knowing if it was a good deal? yikes. i have to think for months before i spend $5. maybe we should try to copy each other a bit more.

Last edited:

Dwee8le

macrumors member
Aug 1, 2010
Amsterdam, Holland
I just bought my first macbook pro a 2009 refurb purchased in January 2011.

I think you mean you bought a MacBook AIR, right? :confused:

Fourth what is the max I can upgrade the ram too?

You cannot upgrade RAM in a MacBook AIR. Only the 2010 can have 4GB (that is a BTO option). I guess you have the rev. C model (with the nVidia 9400m GPU?) and they only have 2GB RAM.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
sorry still a a newb to ccc

I am still trying to figure out how to move all of my old mbp hd info to my new one still lost :(

If you carbon copy cloned your old hard drive onto an external drive, just plug the external into your new Mac and run Migration Assistant from within the Utilities folder in the Applications folder. Follow the directions to copy over settings, applications, and data.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.