New to the Apple/iPod way of life

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Charcoal, Oct 5, 2007.

1. Charcoal macrumors newbie

Was wondering if other readers of the forum are like me, and have not owned an iPod before - but preferred to go with another manufacturer instead. And if so - are you experiencing the same culture shock I am?

The Touch is my first iPod, having used Creative devices way since the Nomads were about - and I'm perplexed that a device that has such a beautiful and well implemented UI is quite backwards in other areas - or is it that the Touch doesn't do things as well as the classic iPods?

I can't seem to manage my music library from the device itself, iTunes is a bit - well - not as good as I thought it would be, it's a right arse changing the volume on the Touch, sound quality down a tad in quality from the more expensive Creative offerings, the metal backing is already scratched to buggery - and for the second time - iTunes--------whoa.......7 iterations and it's still not as good as other offerings.

Trying not to set off a flame war here at all; but the iPod is a way of life, a cultural icon for many people - and well - I've come into it and whilst I'm bowled over the design and UI, it's certainly neolithic with on the move management.

Are these accepted flaws for iPods, or have the Creative camp excelled in some areas, but failed in oh so many others.

2. Quasiportnoy macrumors regular

My 8GB touch is my first iPod, too, but I've had my Mac for almost a year now and have been gradually perfecting my iTunes library so when I finally would get an iPod (i.e. when they released one that I couldn't live without), it would be a smooth and easy transition.

I agree that iTunes is, not over-rated (since nobody's particularly crazy about it), but used more than you would expect such a heavy, clunky media player to be. On a Mac, it's really not too bad, just a bit heavy. On Windows...don't even get me started. It sucks, in my opinion.

I think the real strength in the iPod (not a new idea, just one that bears repeating) is that it's so easy to use for people who don't want to understand how to configure other players. Drag and drop into the Music, Movies, or whatever category, plug in your iPod, and it's on, complete with eye candy. Normal geeks wouldn't mind just dropping music into a folder, but other people like ease of use and simplicity. And even a geek appreciates that.;)

I remember being completely underwhelmed when the first iPod came out. $350!? For an MP3 player, which could be bought for cheaper? That'll never take off!

Guess I called that one wrong....:rolleyes:

3. Charcoal thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks - I think I needed that confirmation. You're right about the geek factor - that's what has prevented me investing in an iPod up until now.

The Touch has appealed to my inner geek and won this time round. Damn shame about iTunes - I'll have to look for an alternative - quite frankly it sucks.

4. Green2Delta macrumors member

I have a 16gb touch, and its also my first iPod. I had been avoiding buying an iPod for a long time because of how "trendy" and "hip" they had become. My good friend Maddox echos my sentiment exactly: "I feel like Apple is not just selling computers, they're selling a way of life, and I'm not ready to be that heavily invested in a product." My breaking point came when I took a business trip and I was carrying around my old discman and a book of cd's just to listen to some music on the plane. Thats way to much stuff to be carrying around when there are better ways to do it, and I chose Apple because they seem to have more support for their products than other companies.

As far as iTunes goes, I have to agree. And I'm a PC user.

5. PowerFullMac macrumors 601

PowerFullMac

Your all saying how much iTunes sucks but not explaining why... I use iTunes all the time for my music on my Mac and syncing and managing the contents of my iPod and I dont see anything wrong with it, not amazing, sure, but it far from sucks.

6. Vigilante macrumors 6502a

Vigilante

Believe it or not, I fall into the same boat as you. I never owned an iPod before (I actually owned Creative Jukeboxes), I don't like Macs, and I originally thought that the iPod Touch layout sucked (adding one song at a time on the iPod Touch, as opposed to 30 artists at a time if you want on the Creative). I got over it within about a day though, since I have always spent more time on my computer daily than my mp3 player. As long as you are fine with premaking playlists, it's all good.

I didnt' notice a difference in sound quality (I owned two Creative players before), but then again I use the same earphones as I used prior (the Apple ones are meh). Oh crap, friend is here, I have to go take a shower. Really, the playlist issue is the only thing I dislike.

Edit: Yea, there is better out there, and I still use Winamp and even Creative software for ripping CDs, but iTunes is made to be a one in all program. It's not better than the 5 programs out there that can do the parts, but it is only one program.

7. aristobrat macrumors G4

I haaaaaaaaaaaatttttttttttttedddddddddddd iTunes until I spent the time to come up with Smart Playlists that automatically do all of the work ("moving my music") that I used to do manually with my other MP3 players.

Now every time that I plug my iPod (iPhone, actually) into my computer, I'm guaranteed to automatically sync the music I love the most, a random/fresh assortment of music I haven't rated yet, any new media that I've recently added to my iTunes library, any new episodes of my podcasts, and if I've finished watching an episode of a TV series, it'll copy the next episode over for me ... automatically.

Definitely wasn't "Love at first sight" for me and iTunes, but now I can't believe that I used to think that doing all of that moving manually was ever the best way! :eek:

8. emptyCup macrumors 65816

emptyCup

You are coming from a situation where you are used to managing everything yourself. There is nothing wrong with that but it is not the iPod way. Let iTunes manage your music. Make Smart Playlists to arrange it in as many ways as you want. Most people find that their iPod only holds a small subset of their library. Sync your iPod with those playlists that hold what you want.

The iPod lets you see your contents by Album, Playlist, Artists, Genres and Composers. You can even search alphabetically. What else are you looking for?

Maybe the iPod is not for you. I think you are just disoriented. Try asking specific "How do I... " questions. I think you will get better results that way. Best wishes.

9. donster28 macrumors 65816

I agree to some who say iTunes and the iPod could be better. I used to be a PC only guy back in the days when I just wouldn't dish out a whole ton of cash for a Mac or an iPod.

The first Porwer PC Mac Mini started it all for me, albeit slooooooow as a turtle, but it introduced me to the world of Macs and I never looked back after that. I bought an Intel iMac a few months after, then a few more months go by, and I suddenly have a brand spanking new Mac Book Pro Core 2 Duo, which I still use often.

And where is the iPod in this you ask? Well, as with my Mac computers, I started cheap and bought a Shuffle when it first came out. Thank God for my Mac Mini, iTunes simplified things for me a big way. Had to learn how to make playlists but as soon as I got the hang of it, it was history from there.

Then, a whole slew of iPods where in my possession: the first Nano, the smaller Shuffle, the Video iPod, then finally a 16gig Touch, which I consider way ahead of the the competition...but it can be better.

As with any other products, Apple seems to learn from mistakes and try to fix things along the way.

I'm not a fanboy but somehow, Apple products apeal to me. I think it's the whole package...from opening the product to playing around with it, heck I even look forward to the smell of that brand new iPod or Mac. That's just me. ;)

10. Cache macrumors regular

I've hated Apple and iPod in general, mainly because the previous iPods were mearly square boxes with the ability to play music and even that it didnt do as well as other manufacturer's players.

When the touch was announced I just had to get it, because I'm a sucker for beautiful designs. The interface is simply incredible.

But lets just say the touch has alot in it, but still misses alot of primairy functions. Plus its a shame the sound quality isnt as good as my almost 3 year old iAudio X5L, but I guess I can live with it... Still, I don't have any regret of my purchase. :)

11. Project macrumors 68020

I love iTunes. Probably my favourite piece of software on my Mac.

What is your problem with it?

12. Vigilante macrumors 6502a

Vigilante

Winamp is tailored more for gamers, just a nicer program overall. It's smaller, easier to manage while in fullscreen, etc. I really don't like how it keeps sending me to the iTunes Store (is there any way to disable the entire store, except for Podcasts?), I'm never going to purchase a song... sigh :p

13. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

It sucks under Windows.

14. wongulous macrumors 6502a

This thread is a combination of amazing and frustrating and reminds me of the way I feel when I go places like Best Buy and I see "regular people," but that know a bit about technology and digital music and Windows or whatever, complaining about weird little things different or lacking on Macs or iPods... and that reminds me of years ago when everyone would just say "God MACs are so stupid and expensive!" etc but could never quite happen upon anything to back themselves up other than that it was a little different (though a decade or more ago there really was an Apple tax, whereas now comparable Wintel machines are about the same price or more expensive, and lack the Apple niceties).

I am just boggled that I am not usually exposed to these kinds of people, these ways of thinking, or these perceived "problems" on a usual basis.

Like, why on earth would I need to "manage" my music on the go? I can't add anything on the go without my laptop, so why would I need to DELETE anything? If I was using it to store files or photos from school or work (obviously not music--that's too piracy-sounding), I would just keep a gig free on my iPod. I really can't think of any other need for it... Or if by manage you mean add album art, correct ID3 tags, well, that actually could be useful. But the iPod OS X variant that runs on the iPhone and iPod touch is only at version 1.1.x, and more is coming. I could see Apple not going for that if there is no intuitive and non-confusing way to implement it, BUT there is a keyboard so some editing could be a really cool addition IMHO.

15. erasr macrumors 6502

Apple wipes the floor with any other company in design and build. It's product are flawless in that category.

End of story.

16. intempo808 macrumors regular

I got my first iPod back when i was 13 (im 15 now). I had an iPod Mini. Im now onto my second iPod, an second generation iPod Nano and im going to get an iPod Touch for christmas.

I don't know what attracted me to iPod's... one of my friends had one at school... but there was so many more advanced MP3 players around then... i have no idea what attracted me to them. I mean they did and still do look visually stunning and work pretty well... but some other players were way ahead of Apple back then.

But Apple has moved up and up and is now above everyone else. They have the most popular MP3/4 player in the world! I annoys me that companies like Microsoft and Creative try to steal Apple's thunder... they had serious problems before the iPod... and all other comapnaies want to to is destroy an amazing product.

Apple has moved with the times dramatically. I mean.. the iPod Mini was very fat, had a black and white screen etc. and then all of a sudden, by surprise (to some) the Nano arrived. It was and still is one of the worlds thinnest and best looking MP3 players... but still it misses some features that creative and microsoft have.

I think the thing is that they are easy to use! You just scroll the little ClickWheel... its so simple... its a refined and easy to use MP3/4 player. For instance, my friend let me have a go on her iRiver. Its so difficult to use... you have to physically push the screen until it clicks to scroll through music... and it doesn't look half as nice!

So i guess what im saying is... Apple has moved on with the iPod and made really advance, yet it still lacks some features that Creative and Microsoft use on theirs. But i think this is for a good reason! Apple made the Ipod because they realised that the MP3 market had some really difficult to use UI. So thats why they are "lacking" some things... becasue they aren't necissary... it isnt what the majority of people expect...

Just my ideas?

17. xXriderXx7 macrumors 6502a

xXriderXx7

I agree completely with all the Pro-Apple people on this forum.
    I got my first computer when I was ten years old. I'm am now 17. Only seven years, but more than enough to discover there is a clearline between technologically educated and the less than technologically educated. Windows is "dominating" the market due to its initial head start on Apple and in turn the Mac operating system.

The iPod is possibly Apple's core. It is what popularized Apple. Did anyone else notice how many people only first heard about Apple when the iPod debuted in 2001?

And for all you Windows iTunes users out there, the Mac and Windows iTunes experiences cannot be compared. It is an all around smoother experience. It is an Apple app and performs best in its native OS.

And to any of you who say Apple should put more effort into its Windows versions, Microsoft sure doesn't do the same for Mac. The Zune software for example, at least Apple provides Windows support.

And to only show my Apple love more, I typed this all my from 16 gig iPod touch.

18. baummer macrumors 6502a

You mention here that you could only add 1 song at a time? Am I correct in guessing that you are talking about dragging your song from iTunes to the iPod touch icon? If so, you can select as many as you wish, drag the entire group over, and it will copy to your iPod. Or am I incorrect in my assumption?

19. queshy macrumors 68040

queshy

To each his own ,but imo how can anyone not like iTunes?! Its interface is simple and beautiful, and very much so a joy to use! I have never tried anything better. iTunes certainly has an edge on WMP...

20. aristobrat macrumors G4

My first experience with iTunes was on Windows. The thing that turned me off the most was that it looked and acted differently than most Windows applications.

Like to get to Preferences, for example. I kept thinking WTF is this CTRL+, crap???? Now that I use a Mac, it makes perfect sense. But back then, iTunes was a very odd and irritating application to me... :eek:

21. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Sounds like they're talking about "On-The-Go" Playlists.

B

22. Vigilante macrumors 6502a

Vigilante

Yep.

And to whoever said it costs MORE to purchase a comparable PC than a Mac... *sigh* Something's wrong there. :) If you know anything about computers, you're going to be building your own, which really isn't possible with a Mac. Unless I missed something huge? :p

23. Quasiportnoy macrumors regular

My problem with iTunes

I like iTunes on the Mac side of things, don't get me wrong. It was an adjustment after living in the Windows world all my life, but well worth getting used to because of the integration of the Mac programs in iLife.

My two big complaints are these:

1) I never was a big fan of the "media center" type of approach to media management. I prefered nice simple folders within a fixed heirarchal system of my choosing. iTunes was an adjustment, and I made the switch, and I'm glad I did get used to it.

On Windows, though, iTunes is too slow, too heavy, and much more than I either need or want for playing music files or managing my stuff in general. I'm much more of a Media Player Classic kind of guy (simple, if not pretty, light, and quick).

2) iTunes isn't as intuitive as other programs in iLife. Yeah, the categories are Music, Movies, TV Shows, etc., but doing more than importing and setting album art is a really tedious, and sometimes mildly painful.

For instance "Artist" and "Album Artist" are subtly different, and can very easily result in split albums if not used correctly (which drove me crazy until last Saturday, when my friend explained what was wrong). Little things like that bother me, and I feel like Apple has made it less than easy to edit the details correctly.

All of my hot air aside, there are many things I love about iTunes: Podcast subscriptions being automatically downloaded, the different viewing options, different category options, and especially the easy synchronization with the iPod. My iPod experience (beginning with the Touch) has only had a few hitches (most of those amounted to some form of PEBKAC, if you get my drift), but has really been a good transition since I had been using iTunes since I got my Mac almost a year ago.

I will shut up now.:rolleyes:

24. Project macrumors 68020

If he is, then that hes false. You can add entire playlists, albums, artists to an On The Go playlist on the Touch.

Click playlist > On The Go.

Then use any of the buttons at the bottom to change the view from Songs to Albums/Playlists etc. In any view, there is an option to 'Add All *' at the top.

Have you tried any of the 3rd Party alternatives? You are right in that iTunes is at the other end of the scale to Media Player Classic in terms of this type of software.
    Hmm, I am not so sure. You can drag and drop album art from the web, your desktop etc into iTunes. You have the album art autograbber built in using the iTunes store. And there are lots of 3rd party apps that can help you do it in bulk like Cover Scout.

Album Artist fills a need that some people have. I personally just stick to Artist and it hasn't changed anything for me.

25. surferfromuk macrumors 65816

Your right of course, Apple style is different and at first it can seem like a culture shock but you soon come to love it which I don't often hear people say about windows centric products.

Apple also tends to be a little more understated, elegant and tasteful.

It all a bit like driving a Porsche. At first it seems odd having the engine in the back of the car but after a while when you learn to master it's power, you wish all cars were built this way...

:D