New Unibody Macbook has <combined> audio in/out port?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by hellfire88, Jun 8, 2009.

1. hellfire88 macrumors 6502

Just noticed on the official apple page that the new unibody macbook 13" with the built-in battery has just one audio port that is labeled "audio in/out"?

Doesn't really affect me but some people who use a dedicated mic and headphones at the same time might be affected.

2. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

Yeah, I saw that too. If you look at the top left pic though, it shows two audio in/out ports.

No, I looked at it again and you are correct. But I don't see it labeled in/out.

Attached Files:

3. apeacock macrumors member

No, it doesn't - look again. There is only one port on it.

4. hellfire88 thread starter macrumors 6502

5. Guzzie macrumors newbie

Besides that change, the kensington lock is moved to the other side by the superdrive, and the battery is no longer user replaceable. Any word on whether or not this limits accessibility to the RAM or the ability to replace the Hard Drive?

6. robotica macrumors 6502a

robotica

my guess is stereo output and mono input ( iPhone headphones anyone )

My guess is you will still be able to use stereo input via spdif

you just wont be able to use input and output at the same time when using digital ( thats the red light glass cable thing - fiberoptics )

7. hellfire88 thread starter macrumors 6502

I feel bad for the Incase/Speck/etc. people who have to come up with another SKU/model now for their hard-cases for these new 13" MBP's since the kensington lock slot was moved to the other side. Also not sure if the current cases have the open area on the left side the same width as the new MBP 13" has ports.

8. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I wonder how this will affect those who just use a line in for recording.

9. mpb2000 macrumors regular

I record from a digital piano using line in and send the output to speakers with the line out. Is there any way around this using a USB device or something so I can still do what I need to do? Help!!!

This is infuriating...Apple finally fixes their screw up by putting FW back in, but they combine the audio in/out...you can't always get what you want, I guess.

10. donster28 macrumors 65816

Oh no...not another ADAPTER to buy!!! :(

11. mpb2000 macrumors regular

Problem solved...or should I say, work around found.

http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/imic#

What a pain...all Apple had to do was keep that second hole there. Really, what reason could they possibly have for removing it?

12. donster28 macrumors 65816

I agree. Will this support digital in and out though?

13. leman macrumors 604

There is not much place inside... look at the the pictures of a MacBook which was taken apart... the mainboard is so small and the insides are so cramped that they only have few inches to give away for the ports. The rest is taken up by battery / CD / HDD.

14. diazj3 macrumors 6502a

Nope... GriffinTech's iMic supports only analog in/out... but this is a nice solution for those who buy the new 13"MBP and later find they need simultaneous in/out jacks.

I see the logic behind this move by apple: since from the average consumer standpoint (the one that's not very computer savvy) there is very little differentiation between the 15" MBP and this new 13" MBP, this combined jack may very well be one of the selling points for the real pro or "prosumer" into the the 15"-17" level; someone that would need both digital inputs and outputs at the same time knows it, and wouldn't go with this 13" "semi-pro" model, or considers buying a serious Firewire audio interface with digital in/outs for that task. Just a thought.

15. michael.lauden macrumors 68020

michael.lauden

i wonder if the new battery is any bigger... if not i see a LOT of upgrades