New US Internet Taxes on the Horizon

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by mattscott306, May 30, 2007.

1. mattscott306 macrumors 68040

mattscott306

Link
    Taxes on e-mail? I can understand putting taxes on DSL, or collecting a national sales tax on internet purchases, but taxing my e-mail? That's insane. And all for what? A bigger government? No thank you.

2. Queso macrumors G4

Chill. That quote should be interpreted as "One Senator doesn't have a clue."

3. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

Careful, those of us supporting lower taxes get flamed faster than than your avatar. Just keep repeating to yourself, "Rich people send more emails than poor people..."

4. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Obviously got his tubes tangled.

5. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

That's so sad what the article said about the customers of Amazon.com. Can you believe that Californians aren't voluntarily paying their sales taxes when they make purchases? I guess taxes aren't as palatable to them unless they're taken forceably.

6. furcalchick macrumors 68020

furcalchick

7. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Although- it might have a chilling effect on spammers. Either way, the net is a silly thing to tax.

8. Queso macrumors G4

Not sure how it can. Doesn't most spam come from China these days?

9. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

well i understand the tax on purchases. i even understand the tax on DSL, provided that the government uses that tax to increase usage, quality and such of highspeed. in other words, use this money to help increase the better quality lines than the crap we have right now.

tax on email? didn't bill gates want that too at one point? not going to happen.

10. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Why on earth would you need a tax on DSL to improve the quality? Where does that leave cable?

11. iTwitch macrumors 6502a

iTwitch

12. mattscott306 thread starter macrumors 68040

mattscott306

I can understand a tax on purchases, but the more I think about a DSL tax the less sense it makes to me. Those lines are privately installed aren't they? Why should the government stick its hands in what it didnt create?

13. Phat Elvis macrumors 6502

14. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

while i agree that the govt shouldn't stick it hands in, i'd be all for allowing that particular tax to go towards incentives to the phone companies and cable companies providing the internet connection to help them get better lines in place. other than that i don't think it should exist.

15. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

This is a non-starter as far as I'm concerned. Since it's so easy to generate emails with spoofed addresses anyway (hence the word "simple" in smtp) I don't see how this can be enforced.

16. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

throughout the 90's, congress granted billions of dollars to the telcoms to build and improve high-speed internet. instead, those telcoms built little and pocketed huge profits.

watch this moyers piece for all you wanted to know on the subject.

17. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

I love the way they assume the momentum has swung towards this tax just because Democrats control Congress.

Also the false "either/or" choice they're putting to us: either we tax the internet, or we're forced to raise income and property taxes.

Do they seriously expect that they can give away millions and millions in tax breaks to the rich and spend gazillions more on George's stupid war, and then come to us claiming they need more tax money?

18. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

The lack of a sales tax on internet purchases can have a devastating impact on small communities that rely on the tax.

Hey, I like the tax free purchases at Amazon as much as the next guy, but if it means further local tax increases, then it's a no brainer.

As far as taxing internet services, then that's pretty stupid and ain't gonna happen, unless of course, bushco continues to hand out tax cuts to the uberwealthy...

19. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

Where?

20. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

No we would just all move to email services based outside of the United States.

21. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

I'll be switching to Yahoo.ca :cool: