New user of logic x: can't decide how powerful a laptop to get...?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by blobb5, Jan 19, 2014.

1. blobb5 macrumors newbie

Hi all,

i'm new to music production; but intend to really get into it quickly.
    may main concern is: either buying a mac that i soon outgrow... or buying an overpowered mac that i don't take full advantage of (considering the price)

from what i've read; synths and plugins are what use up the most power.
    are virtual instruments the same as synths??:eek:

I'd really like to get a laptop... as the idea of being mobile is very appealing to me.
    But i forsee myself using alot of plugins (i really like using plugins on audio tracks)
    and i also think i'll probably make use of synthesisers quite a lot too.

So, should i be looking at Macbook air, or a Macbook pro?

Generally speaking; when i've made songs in the past - i've had alot of tracks with alot of effects on them (plugins?)
    I really want to get into sampling - and you generally need to mold the sound of samples - so once again you use plugins??

It's just i've read some posts saying that people can run 64+ tracks no problem with a couple of plugins and a few virtual instruments...
    But what if you want plugins on almost all the tracks??

Would the entry level Macbook Pro - be powerful enough to utilize logic to an extensive degree?
    as i don't have enough money to buy a computer regularly.. and i really want to be able to have 'free reign' on my sessions - and not be restricted in what tools i use in logic due to; the computer not being powerful enough e.t.c.

Mac Pro Retina
    Specifications
    13-inch
    2.4GHz dual-core Intel Core i5
    Turbo Boost up to 2.9GHz
    4GB 1600MHz memory
    128GB PCIe-based flash storage1
    Intel Iris Graphics
    Built-in battery (9 hours)2
    -------------------------------------

if i didn't go for the retina; i could get a better processor the:
    2.5GHz dual-core Intel Core i5
    Turbo Boost up to 3.1GHz

^but no 'iris graphics'.....

is this machine capable of using logic x - to an extensive degree?
    i hope so, as i can't afford a more expensive computer...
    and i've kind of gone off the idea of a MacPro desktop... as i really need to get out more.. - and whilst you get better value for money with a desktop, i just really want a laptop for the mobility aspect.

Much thanks for any advice,
    Blobb5:)

2. blobb5 thread starter macrumors newbie

3. pointofcontact macrumors newbie

I would recommend at the very minimum that you get the Macbook Pro Retina with the i7 processor - the i7 will give you hyperthreading, and thus will give you twice as many processing cores - this is essential as your plugins and virtual instruments will exhaust your processing power very quickly.

I use the 15" MBPr - it has a quad core processor.

If you are doing serious work (with a large track count) you will need the quad processor.

You will otherwise be very limited in the amount of tracks and processing power for your project.

That's not to say you won't be able to do music projection on the dual core, you just won't be able to get a 20+ track count (using many multiple instances of virtual instruments and plugins).

Best,
    Tommy