New User to Mac - got my first Macbook yesterday. A Couple of questions!!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by willgimmence, Dec 17, 2009.

1. willgimmence macrumors newbie

Absolutely delighted with it. I have quickly got used to all the bits and bobs on there.

Just a couple of questions now.

I have managed to login to MSN Messenger using aMSN and Adium. Adium seems to be really basic and I don't like the interface at all so I think I'm going to stick with aMSN. I can't get my webcam to work in it though? When I send my webcam or my friends send theirs it says connecting for a few seconds and then says that both parties have cancelled. Does anyone know a messenger that supports webcams? When will ichat support MSN & webcams? Seems ridiculous to me!

I have a customers external hard drive which is formatted to Mac which has been dropped and now the disk clonks and struggles to spin. On a Windows PC I would simply ghost it to a new hard drive, being that is a mac ghost doesn't recognise the file type of the drive. Can anyone recommend some software that would enable me to recover files from a faulty hard disk?

Cheers :)

2. lisamel macrumors regular

lisamel

Hi!
    I use MSN for mac and I dont think you can use the webcam with it, unfortunately :( So if I need to use it I go to iChat or Skype which both work with iSight.

3. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

CarbonCopyCloner and SuperDuper is used to mirror/clone HDDs.

4. willgimmence thread starter macrumors newbie

Don't you think this is a ridiculous cop out from Apple? It should just work! Is isight a separate webcam? I want to use the one that is integrated in my mac, not buy another one!!

5. willgimmence thread starter macrumors newbie

Great - thank you. I will give these a try when I get home from work tonight.

6. AdeFowler macrumors 68020

AdeFowler

Well, to be fair it's not really Apple's job to support aMSN; more aMSN's job to make sure their software works with the hardware it's running on. Have a look here:

http://www.amsn-project.net/forums/viewforum.php?f=3

Better still would be if Microsoft kept there promises and updated the Mac version of MSN to include video support.

http://www.officeformac.com/blog/An-Update-on-Messenger-for-Mac

Enjoy your Mac ;)

7. willgimmence thread starter macrumors newbie

Why can't Apple just make ichat work on the MSN database? Skype webcam seems to work fine. Seems very strange to me! So many students have Macbooks these days I can't believe they all go without their webcams working! Damn Microsoft :(

Other than the webcam issue I absolutely LOVE IT.

8. completeidiot23 macrumors member

yeah not up to apple to support the msn protocol. Adium is really nice when you start to make it your own and customise it. I have it set up to look almost exactly like ichat.

And theres a reason and the dev's at adium tell you why the isight won't work, on there site.

9. willgimmence thread starter macrumors newbie

Being a Windows User I'm not used to customising things around like that ;)

I shall give it a try tonight :)

10. completeidiot23 macrumors member

also transfers are abit slower, but thats because of microsoft bottlenecking transfers, with apps, thats not their messenger. But adium, is the best messenger on the mac.

You can be logged in to your msn, yahoo, google, facebook accounts all at once, and all your contacts be in the same contact list

11. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Because Skype's developers took the time to code iSight support. Microsoft's developers have not. It's a Microsoft problem, not an Apple problem.

12. willgimmence thread starter macrumors newbie

Seems totally crazy to me and it's so frustrating! I'm surprised a bigger deal hasn't been made of this as it appears to have been going on for a long time. Damn you MS!! If aMSN can come up with a work around, why can't apple with ichat? Apple with all their funding I would have thought should be able to sort this issue out.

13. willgimmence thread starter macrumors newbie

14. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Well then lobby Microsoft to make the necessary changes. It's not like iSight integration is a big mystery to everyone. If Skype can do it, I'm sure Microsoft can.

Or you could just ditch MSN altogether for something more modern. Again, it has nothing to do with iChat.

15. willgimmence thread starter macrumors newbie

Simple question is - if aMSN can work around it and make webcams work, why can't apple with their billions of pounds/dollars of funding? I'm not digging at all. MS are a horrendous company that would rob a dying man. I hate them more than anyone - my company was sued 20k by them last year! I just feel it's a very simple thing for Apple to have not sorted out.

16. Darth.Titan macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

As has been explained to you repeatedly, problems with aMSN are not Apple's responsibility.

The webcam works in iChat, Adium, Skype, and others. It does not work with aMSN because aMSN have not taken the time to write their program properly.

Apple cannot fix another company's software. Period.

17. willgimmence thread starter macrumors newbie

You really don't get it do you?

What I'm saying is, if aMSN can write a program that enables the use of webcams with MSN with £0. How come Apple can't?

18. colourfastt macrumors 6502a

colourfastt

Why exactly would Apple want to further enable its #1 competitor? :rolleyes:

19. Dan73 macrumors 6502a

Sorry not trying to be an ass here but what does being a "windows user" have anything to do with customizing things. You can customize a windows PC more than any mac.

But yes Adium is awesome and far from basic, you can login multiple accounts and customize just about every aspect of it to your liking.

20. haiggy macrumors 65816

http://adiumxtras.com/index.php?a=search&cat_id=4

Click to download or install some of these contact list styles if you like them. That's an easy way to get a start on customizing Adium to suit your needs. I love it. Very simple, clean, uncluttered. I can't stand aMSN (although it's gotten better).

There is a whole variety of things you can customize with Adium: message styles, emoticons, contact list, icons, etc. They can be found here:

http://adiumxtras.com/

21. willgimmence thread starter macrumors newbie

So do you think Apple have not worked on getting MSN to work with a webcam to discourage people from using MSN? If I was able to produce a piece of software, I would expect Apple to be able to produce a far better piece of software because of their vast experience and funding. I don't get why people are getting funny about me saying that? All my friends use MSN so there isn't any alternative that I can use - if there was, alas I would use it. I guess I'll have to replace all of my friends.

22. Kristenn macrumors 6502

I really don't think Apple has permission to use Microsoft's protocol code in iChat. Besides, Apple wouldn't want to push MSN protocol forward and Microsoft wouldn't want people using iChat over Microsoft Messenger.

23. willgimmence thread starter macrumors newbie

Causes a massive problem for me and I'm sure many other users as all my friends use MSN :( Hopefully something else will be done in the future to sort this out. I started using Adium properly last night and I fully agree - it's leagues ahead on aMSN. Hope they sort out webcam support soon :D

24. colourfastt macrumors 6502a

colourfastt

Yes, replace your friends. Anyone who is still using 8 year old technology is due to be replaced anyway.