New Verizon share plans

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Michael CM1, Aug 2, 2012.

1. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

I think I'm going to have to upgrade to the new Verizon plans soon so I can use the tethering feature for work. I don't know whether I can just turn it on for a day like I did before the change, so I want to be prepared. The option to do this still exists within the Verizon app. So maybe I can still do that for only about a buck or two extra when I need it for all of about 5 hours in a month.

So in case, I would like to know the experiences others have had. I know that you get unlimited calling and texts. I technically already get that since I don't use the calls and texts I pay for, but that's just sour grapes. What I really want to make sure of is whether I'm right about the mobile hotspot feature being free (OK, at no extra charge) on all the new sharing plans. I couldn't see that anywhere on Verizon's website in writing, so I wanted to make sure.

2. willmtaylor, Aug 3, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2012

willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

Yes it is free on the Share Everything Plans. I've confirmed it with several VZW reps. Here's the web page. It's simply the part that says you can use the data for 10 devices. ALSO, there was recently a ruling by the FCC that Big Red MUST stop charging for such things on 4GZDNet Link

Another link to another ZDNet article:
    "Verizon is no longer offering unlimited data plans. Instead, the network giant is now offering Share Everything plans that offer unlimited voice and text, but doesn't offer unlimited data options. These plans do include free tethering, however."

3. TyShawn macrumors 6502

willmtaylor, your last link took me to the Verizon page. Here is the same info on the FCC ruling from dslreports.

http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/Verizon-Wireless-Settles-For-Blocking-Tethering-Apps-120590

4. mlmwalt macrumors 6502a

Actually, this ruling only applies to the LTE devices, not CDMA. It has to do with the spectrum that VZ bought and the exclusive ownership of the spectrum.

5. willmtaylor, Aug 3, 2012

willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

True. I had forgotten that it only applies to 4G.

But the truth still remains that one is free to tether without charge now.

6. chrfr macrumors 603

If you're on Verizon now with a tiered data plan, you can add tethering to your existing data, by going to the 4GB + tethering package. I believe it is $50. Be aware that if you have only one smartphone/iPhone on Verizon, switching to a new Share Everything plan is significantly more expensive.

7. willmtaylor, Aug 3, 2012

willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

8. macMD macrumors 6502

macMD

The share everything data plans are ok depending on the user. Eventually Verizon will get users one way or another. If you are on a family plan and someone goes in to upgrade their phone and doesn't want to pay retail, boom, you get moved over to the share everything.

For me I have (2) MiFi's, (1) Smartphone and (1) iPad plus two other regular phones so it was a trade off especially since a 64GB iP5 will be $849, I'm not paying retail when I can get it for $399. I can live with managing data and free hot spots (like WiFi at work).

9. splatterific macrumors member

I checked and thy are charging for tethering and even with unlimited data the tethered device is entitled to 2gb not the h limited. For me a single line with new plans will cost me $20 a month more for a measly 2gb that for an extra $10 to add my iPad. 2gb between the 2 is useless unless all u do is check emails. There getting out of hand but, they'll get it because people won't do without. They'll skip eating then giving up there devices. So much for competition making pricing. Competitively cheaper. It's driving the prices up.