New Verizon vs AT&T Data Plan Comparison Tool

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jeffmetanna, Jul 19, 2012.

1. jeffmetanna macrumors member

Hey guys, I created a web page just for this one purpose. Add up to 10 devices and set a data plan, and it shows you the total price for Verizon and AT&T. That's it!

http://www.usdataplans.com/

2. BlueGummiBear macrumors 6502a

BlueGummiBear

Thanks for creating that site! It helped me see visually just how sh*tastic AT&T's plans are.

3. cynics macrumors G3

Tablet prices seem way off. I have a 3gb Verizon plan (promotion from 2gb) and its 35 dollars a month. 2gb on your thing shows me 70 dollars, doubled what I'm paying.

Maybe prices have changed.

4. pilot1226 macrumors 6502a

pilot1226

Well despite the fact that I think you get unlimited calling, I'll just stick with sprint. I get 1400 shared minutes between myself and my family members, unlimited texting unlimited data and unlimited mobile to mobile with any carrier. I pay 100 a month when all is said and done, I split the plan with my family members, so they pay the other hundred.

5. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

Because AT&T is bumping up the cost of the baseline service plan, my bill should actually be cheaper after my discount.

I currently get a $16.20 discount.

I am figuring a $24.30 discount after changing over to the new plan, with far more data for me to use because my wife only uses about 1GB a month on her current 3GB plan.

6. jeffmetanna thread starter macrumors member

Hey Cynics, the data plans featured on the site are regarding the new "share data" plans from both Verizon and AT&T. They're different from the tablet plan you have right now.

The new plans provide unlimited voice minutes and unlimited texts. You just choose how much data you will use and the devices to share it with.

So for example:
    + 2 x iPhones (for you and your spouse)
    + 1 x iPad
    + 4GB Data
    = $160 for both Verizon & AT&T

And you get to share that 4GB with all 3 devices in the plan.

7. cynics macrumors G3

I see. Sorry about the confusion then.

Good site btw works well on my iPhone.

8. ReallyBigFeet macrumors 68030

ReallyBigFeet

Nice little website utility!

What's really obvious when looking at data plans is that with AT&T you have a risk of buying too little data or paying more for a higher plan that you really don't need. I like how Verizon gives you more choices for data.

9. lordofthereef, Jul 19, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2012

lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

I am crossing my fingers (although I don't know why since I am dropping AT&T for a corporate plan with VZW) that AT&T offers rollover data at some point. That would truly be valuable. There are some months I use 1GB and some months where I an teetering at 3GB. Why should I pay more for the ONE time I go over a year when every other time I am using much less than what I paid for?

On a slightly unrelated note, charging for Facetime over 3G? What kind of nonsense is that?

10. WesCole macrumors 6502a

Really cool website. Thanks for putting that together; it really helped me visualize my plan. I wonder how much I will get discounted if I choose that plan with my education discount.

Does anyone know the % that the education discount gets?

11. Eddiesalsa macrumors newbie

Great tool... Thanks for sharing it. I am still undecided on which route to take. I currently have 4 iPhone's (4 & 4s) with grandfather unlimited plan, family share plan 1400mins with rollover plus unlimited txt, free mobile to mobile calling to any mobile phone /carrier. With my FAN discount and taxes & fees my monthly bill is $257.00
    Main line $142.40
    2nd - 4th line - $38.32 ea

Currently we also have 3 iPads (1-2nd Gen & 2-new iPads). iPad 2 is 3G ver but my daughter uses mostly wifi. New iPads are both wifi ver; however my last ipad3 purchase is less than 14 days and now with this new plan offer I'm debating whether to return n purchase the LTE ver. Based on this great tool you created it list my monthly cost at $260 (4 smart phone & 2 iPads) at 10gb. I wonder if AT&T will allow FAN discount to be applied to this new tier structure, if they do I think I maybe able to save funds but then again who knows what other fees they decided to add.

Thanks

12. korndawg macrumors regular

With 5 smarthphones, we'll be paying more money w/ less data. Thanks Verizon!

13. jediistar macrumors 6502

All I would add in here is the ability to add in any corporate discounts, that's a big differentiator here.

14. orangebluedevil macrumors 6502

You should make the bottom table dynamically populate the prices (based on the chosen devices above).

Thanks for sharing, it's very easy to use.

15. Prof. macrumors 601

Prof.

I currently get 20% off the primary line through my employer. If I get a 4GB plan on the primary line, it will cost $110/mo. Which makes it $88/mo. Then I add two other family iPhones adding $80 to the bill. So I'll be paying $168/mo as supposed to my current $198/mo...? If that's true, I'm all in!

16. Prof. macrumors 601

Prof.

Never mind. **** this ****. :mad:

Note there's $20 worth of taxes on top of the quoted price.

Attached Files:

17. The iGentleman macrumors 6502a

OP, Your site is giving incorrect quotes. I put in two smartphones with 6gb of data, and your site quoted me $160. That is not the correct pricing, it should be $125/mo.

18. jeffmetanna thread starter macrumors member

Buddy, $160 is the correct price:

AT&T
    6GB ($90) + Smartphone (2 x $35) = $160

Verizon
    6GB ($80) + Smartphone (2 x $40) = $160

19. jeffmetanna thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the suggestion! Currently, the bottom table only contains the data prices. Since the base data prices don't change, I would have to add more columns to house the device prices. Then, the table would become too complicated which is not my intention for this tool.

----------

So is employee/student discount applied to the primary line only? So that is base plan + 1 device only?

20. NikeTalk macrumors 6502a

Great site OP, i'm curious as to how the FAN discount will be applied to these new share plans. That's my deal breaker.

21. The iGentleman macrumors 6502a

I see. I took the chart as $35 for the 2nd smartphone. I didn't realize it was $35 a piece.

22. jediistar macrumors 6502

Me as well, that could be the swing difference here.

23. sweetbrat macrumors 65816

sweetbrat

Compared to Verizon, AT&T is actually cheaper a lot of the time. At most of the lower levels the prices come out to the same or with Verizon being slightly cheaper. If you add more devices and data, AT&T usually comes out cheaper because the per device cost goes down as your data plan goes up.

Overall I think a more fair comment is that both company's plans are overpriced, and whether or not you should switch to them depends on your needs. One isn't really much worse than the other by the looks of it. But this at least lets you pick which is better for your specific situation.

24. alent1234 macrumors 603

i pay for 4GB data right now for a 2 iphone family plan and only use half the data. why should i pay $100 a year extra to AT&T to add an ipad to the plan to use the data i'm not using that i'm paying for

no LTE ipad for me and no more AT&T for me very soon

25. Dwalls90 macrumors 601

Dwalls90

I love this, it's great!

Thanks.