New version of Documents To Go, finally worth having on the iPad

Discussion in 'iPad Apps' started by caubeck, Sep 10, 2010.

1. caubeck macrumors 6502

A welcome surprise this morning: D2G 4 just came out. Now it looks good on the iPad and instantly becomes my go-to editor (except where images are involved, that's still Pages).

QuickOffice is still something of a colorful yet featureless clown (sounds scary), but maybe they'll up the ante now.

Will D2G be my go-to composer as well as editor? Pages is still visually more relaxing (unfortunately it's just so bare bones in any other way), so we'll just have to see.

I think if D2G let you change the colors of the tool bars it would look no less attractive than QO. Docs To Go, let us skin you!

2. JulianL macrumors 65816

I agree. I have both and before this release I thought that D2G was the best functionality wise but the UI was far too cluttered and not nearly as nice as QO. I liked QO's UI so much more that, despite the lesser functionality, I was having a really hard time picking a favourite. Now that Dataviz have simplified the UI, taking many ideas from QO (which is a good thing), D2G is the definite winner for me.

Sadly there might be some very bad news that I accidentally posted in the iPad rather than the iPad Apps forum: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1011963

It is possible that this could be as good as it gets for D2G on iOS. If QO are presented with a more open playing field then I hope they don't become complacent and do carry on aggressively improving their product. They still have a nice UI, they just need to boost the functionality.

- Julian

3. ccsicecoke macrumors regular

Does it allow me to insert a photo to a word doc? QuickOffice has no such basic functions

4. JulianL macrumors 65816

Someone that uses the Word component more should probably verify this, I mostly use the spreadsheet, but I had a quick play and I couldn't see how to do it. Dataviz have a user forum on their web site (http://forums.dataviz.com/) so I bet a search there would throw up lots of discussions and discontent if it's not possible and, if you're lucky, maybe even some comments from Dataviz staff.

I think it might support embedded pictures because one of the sample letters has an "Acme Inc" logo at the top of the letter which I assume is a graphic file of some sort although not necessarily a jpg. I did manage to select this and copy it into the clipboard but for some reason I couldn't then paste it into a new Docs2Go word document. Maybe I was being dumb or maybe it will display this sort of content when created elsewhere but won't create embedded graphics within Docs2Go.

I suggest a visit to the Dataviz forum for some eavesdropping on discussions there.

- Julian