New versions of iTunes are very slow.

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Draeconis, Nov 25, 2008.

1. Draeconis macrumors 6502a

I've run iTunes on Windows, OS X, and even on Linux, but it was always fairly snappy. Recently however, due to some update, the performance is dreadful.

I went through my music collection to make sure artists/songs are named correctly a few days ago, which I've done before, but when I corrected a group of tracks to an amended artist name, instead of it changing instantly, it brings up a small window and slowly changes each one, in all taking about a minute.

A entire minute to alter a few IDv3 tags?! It never did this before? I've not seen a similar thread on the subject, but I can't see why I'd be the only one affected?

2. applefan69 macrumors 6502a

applefan69

sorry i hate to not answer your problem, but i cant help you, but youve struck my curiosity.

Theres a Linux version of iTunes?

I thought i remember reading somewhere that linux doesnt support .mp3 because well its trying to in a way "fight the standard" which, is actually frusterating about linux.

3. Draeconis thread starter macrumors 6502a

There isn't a Linux version, I was running the Windows version using WINE. It worked pretty well but the UI could be a little laggy at times.

Th issue with MP3 is that it requires a licence which Linux distributors aren't willing to pay, and rightly so, so as standard linux distributions don't come with mp3 support. However, when you install Ubuntu or another popular distro, it'll come with an mp3 player such as Amarok which when asked to play an MP3 will ask you if you want to download the right codecs for you. So Linux can easily play MP3's; it just can't bundle the MP3 codecs in the distribution, but that's easily solved.