Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TEG

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jan 21, 2002
Langley, Washington
Why hasn't Apple come out with an application similar to iTunes but for video, say... iVideo.
It would be nice if I could use one program and browse through my video collection (although It doesn't need to show wmv or asf files). It would also be great when we finally get the Video Capable iPod. Any thoughts, or wishes for this App.

TEG

cubist

macrumors 68020
Jul 4, 2002
Muncie, Indiana
Or, FTM, for software. Or any other collection.

I imagine it would be more like iPhoto, but let you attach some kind of link to a thumbnail image that would tell you the physical location of whatever it is.

tjwett

macrumors 68000
May 6, 2002
Brooklyn, NYC
Maybe I'm just not getting what your are saying here but I think we already have this app, it's called the Fiinder. In Column View you can very easily scroll through a folder and view thumbnails and preview all your movies. Am I missing something here? Not trying to crap on your idea or anything, I just don't think I understand what it is you want to do.

TEG

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jan 21, 2002
Langley, Washington
It is true that the finder does some of these things, however, the same is true of MP3s. Hence I believe a new iLife program would be helpful. One would no longer have to search through the endless folders in the finder. Also one could have continuous video. Like running your own Music Video display for durring parties, or while studying. I find it quite annoying to be forced to also self organized videos or movies, I think iTunes CDDB style tags could be imbedded into the files to keep them organized by artist or show. I just feel that it would greatly increase the iLife value.

medea

macrumors 68030
Aug 4, 2002
Madison, Wi
I don't think videos are popular enough for Apple to create a program for them, a lot of people may download .mov's etc but there probably isnt that high of a market for them which is also why you most likely won't see a iPod video player any time soon.
Ripping cd's into mp3's/AAC/etc is a great idea used by many, ripping DVD's/Movies into files/mov's/avi's/etc is not so great idea as they take up a lot of space with a significant loss in quality and not many people use it.....

D0ct0rteeth

macrumors 65816
Mar 11, 2002
Franklin, TN
I posted this back in may:

I would kill for 2 different apps.

1. iTheatre: iTunes for movies

- including renting movies like the iTunes music store

- records TV like tivo

- playlists for watching your recorded/imported simpsons episodes

2. iBank: Money managemnet software that works.

- integrates with my checking and savings account for 1 click paying of my phone bill, cable bill

- tracks investments (how much my Janus/401k accounts have in them)

- sends invoices to clients

- transfer money between accounts

I will seriously pay someone to develop either software. I have storyboards of each - just no software development skills.

-Doc

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.