Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
Nice, the notifications look so useful, and I get plenty of them. Beats flipping out my phone all the time. Text via S-voice from the watch is also something that entices me, as I already text with S-Voice when driving.

rhinosrcool

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 5, 2009
MN
When the first Galaxy Gear came out, I thought is was ugly and unfinished. Now, I feel that it has improved a great deal and I may get one. At work, I don't like having to check my phone a lot. With this, I wouldn't have to. The deciding factor will be the price. We'll see...

mKTank

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2010
Gear 2 looks nice. But the Fit is using the wrong orientation so no thanks on that one.

ChrisTX

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2009
Texas
I originally wanted a Gear Fit, but after watching this video I want a Gear 2 as well. Torn between the 2! Hoping the price is right. $200 or less and I'll pull the trigger day 1. $300 plus and I might have to think about it.

Fernandez21

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2010
Look nice, but I won't be getting a Samsung phone to use these. Now if they open them up to other android phones, then hello gear 2.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
I have the gear 1 and would have no reason to upgrade as I love what this one does for me...tells the time and gives me my notifications. Thats all thats needed.

the gear fit sounds great for somebody into their fitness but would i need that and a gear? doubt it.

rhinosrcool

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 5, 2009
MN
I have the gear 1 and would have no reason to upgrade as I love what this one does for me...tells the time and gives me my notifications. Thats all thats needed.

the gear fit sounds great for somebody into their fitness but would i need that and a gear? doubt it.

On Sunday, I saw a movie with a friend who had the Galaxy Gear. Not only was it functional, but it actually looked good. Maybe, when the prices drop, I'll just get the original? We'll see how the prices are for the G2 and Fit...

Yeah, a GG and a Fit is overkill.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
On Sunday, I saw a movie with a friend who had the Galaxy Gear. Not only was it functional, but it actually looked good. Maybe, when the prices drop, I'll just get the original? We'll see how the prices are for the G2 and Fit...

Yeah, a GG and a Fit is overkill.

I know on three the price is down to £149 now....

rhinosrcool

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 5, 2009
MN
In June, Google's reportedly coming out with a smartwatch. So, a little longer wait seems best. It could get interesting. :)

rockitdog

macrumors 68030
Mar 25, 2013
Wow! that video made me even less interested in the S5! Did think that could happen...

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
I thought they announced the pricing, or were those just strong rumors? GG2 $299, GG Neo $199, G fit $199.

I'm a big fan of the GG1, although I ended up selling mine because it had some shortcomings. I think the GG2 will be a huge failure though, still overpriced and now hamstrung with Tizen, what a horrible decision. The Neo might sell decently though, but not great. I think the Fit may actually sell pretty decently, it's a cool design and people really care about that fitness monitoring crap/fad these days.

skratch77

macrumors 65816
Mar 20, 2013
I do cardio 5 times a week and would love to grab a gear fit to use when I run.If it can store music and work with Bluetooth headphones Im sold first day its out.

No more worrying about your cell and no need for wired headphones

rockitdog

macrumors 68030
Mar 25, 2013
I thought they announced the pricing, or were those just strong rumors? GG2 $299, GG Neo $199, G fit $199.

I'm a big fan of the GG1, although I ended up selling mine because it had some shortcomings. I think the GG2 will be a huge failure though, still overpriced and now hamstrung with Tizen, what a horrible decision. The Neo might sell decently though, but not great. I think the Fit may actually sell pretty decently, it's a cool design and people really care about that fitness monitoring crap/fad these days.

I really like the looks of the Galaxy Gear 1 but am disappointed in the Gear 2. not enough changes to make me want to get it. Was hoping for quite a few enhancements that just didn't happen.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
So how pissed off is Samsung after today's Android Wear and Moto360 announcements? :eek:

Bet they're really glad they decided to ditch Android and go the Tizen route for their wearables. ;)

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
So how pissed off is Samsung after today's Android Wear and Moto360 announcements? :eek:

Bet they're really glad they decided to ditch Android and go the Tizen route for their wearables. ;)

Samsung doesn't seem to care if they lose money, you can see that in the awful pricing of the Gear 2. I don't think anyone is going to say "hey they took the screws away from the case, I'll spend $299 on this now". The GG2 was a failure the moment it was announced, and that final nail on the coffin was just hammered in by Google/Motorola.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
seems three are selling gear fit for around £199...don't know if thats just with a phone contract though.

rhinosrcool

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 5, 2009
MN
seems three are selling gear fit for around £199...don't know if thats just with a phone contract though.

That's about $329 US. It looks nice, but still pretty expensive for an accessory. We'll see how much the Android Wear versions turn out to be. 3 months or so...

mellofello

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2011
The thing most people are missing is the imbedded heart rate monitor on the fit. That is awesome. I am not training right now but I always wanted a monitor to track real time exertion and calories, but wearing the band is super uncomfortable.

rhinosrcool

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 5, 2009
MN
The thing most people are missing is the imbedded heart rate monitor on the fit. That is awesome. I am not training right now but I always wanted a monitor to track real time exertion and calories, but wearing the band is super uncomfortable.

That's a good point. Still, for many, it's an expensive accessory. In a few months, we'll see just how good these new watches will be...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.