New Virgin 50Mb broadband modem not liking Airport Extreme

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by c0nartiste, Feb 12, 2010.

1. c0nartiste macrumors newbie

I was recently upgraded to the Virgin 50Mb broadband, from the 20mb

The Technician came round to install it simply plugged it in, waited, then presto.... broadband!!!!!

Notice I didnt mention the 50mb broadband in that last sentence. Because I weren't in anyway getting 50mb speed. ( more like less than 1mb )

So I tried using the the internet directly MacbookPro to modem via ethernet cable. BINGO thats when the internet started to work, I got exactly 50mbps download and 1.5mbps upload on speedtest.net. For some weird reason Airport xtreme base station really doesn't like the new modem device.

Is there any manual way of getting this to work. ( this is for you fellow 50mbyters that have Virgin Media )

Tried to reset my airport itself, once I did that I kept getting messages of no internet connection. It also mentioned that I had no IP address at one point. (weird) hmm I don't know what other details I could give you but please do mention a couple of routes I can take to try and solve this problem of mine, I am constantly on the computer so replies will be quick and easy.

Thanks in Advance
    Rich

2. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

Good old Virgin :rolleyes: Its why I left them. They are totally crap!

I take it you have rebooted the modem?

3. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Same issue I get after power outages. Unplug the cable modem and ap. Plug the cable modem back in and wait for the lights to settle. Now plug the ap back in. Should be working.

4. c0nartiste thread starter macrumors newbie

Quoted from being on hold with Virgin while trying to call em....

"Thank you for your patience, Meanwhile, while waiting, you might want to try and restart your modem by unplugging it then plugging it back in. THIS "usually" sorts out most problems.....OR look at our website for other queries"

ahhh tried that man I am soo angry atm.

5. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Ok have you tried renewing the lease? The issue is the ap tryin to get the dhcp info. Cable won't help you because it's not there hardware.

6. c0nartiste thread starter macrumors newbie

This is how I fixed it..

I simply plugged in another ethernet cable into the AP and see that it worked while using the ethernet through to my MBP..

Took the ethernet cable out...

turned on my AP from my MBP signed in to my network.

typed in apple.com

Hey presto it works..

How the hell???????:confused:

7. playalistic macrumors regular

It's quite simple, just follow that above... Trust me. I have to do the exact same any time I have an outage.