New VZW iPhone 5 line activated today

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by tsduke, Nov 8, 2012.

1. tsduke macrumors regular

I just activated on the new line. When can I move the device to my unlimited line and active the dump phone on this line?

Thanks!

2. VandyChem2009 macrumors 6502a

VandyChem2009

That's a good question. Apple employee told me it takes 7-10 days however, I tried when I got home and it worked. You can just try and see.

3. tsduke, Nov 8, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2012

tsduke thread starter macrumors regular

I thought I read somewhere that you have to wait 24 hours from initial activation or after 7am next day, but can't find where I read it. Something to do with the sim.

I don't want to screw anything up and lose my unlimited. :p

4. tsduke thread starter macrumors regular

Got this message...

We cannot complete your request online. Please contact Customer Service at (800) 922-0204 for assistance with your order.

Found this in link on vzw when trying it.

https://scache.vzw.com/pdf/user_guides/SIM_Revised_EN_Final.pdf

Transferring Your Service and Phone Number to a New Phone
    You can use these instructions if you have previously activated your 4G device and SIM card on one
    mobile number and want to move the device and SIM to a different mobile number. Before completing
    these steps, you must wait until 7 a.m. EST the next day for the SIM to be available for use again. Once
    available, you can activate the 4G device and SIM on the other mobile number.

5. tgi macrumors 65816

tgi

So to clarify, you opened a new line w/ data plan specifically for the iPhone 5. You are going to cancel the data plan on the new line and just use it for a dumbphone. You will switch the iPhone to your current plan and all is well.

Just trying to see how the process works in case I want to do this in the future with AT&T.

6. tsduke thread starter macrumors regular

That's exactly what I'm doing. I'll drop the data off the new line and my youngest son will use it. IP5 will move to my IP4 line that has unlimited.

7. BFizzzle macrumors 68020

BFizzzle

it takes 24 hours to deactivate the sim "age" the sim. The sim is tied to the line you added.
    It will only allow you to use 3g.. until the sim is aged.

either A) call and tell them you need to swap the devices.. and the sim.
    or B) go to apple/verizon corporate store and get a new Nano sim.

yep! att is much easier.. since you have sims. just swap the sim.. then go and change the device to basic phone plan with no data

8. tsduke thread starter macrumors regular

I put the basic phone on the new line so IP5 is not active at all.

Sounds like I

a - wait and log on to vzw and switch after 7am

or

b - call vzw - with wanting to keep unlimited, is this more hassle than it's worth?

9. tsduke, Nov 9, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2012

tsduke thread starter macrumors regular

Vzw site let me activate this morning and I still have unlimited, but something isn't right. I can't call and get a message that # is invalid or not registered.

10. tsduke thread starter macrumors regular

I call Verizon and they are telling me the sim won't activate for 24 hours????

4G is supposed to be the new advanced technology but this is going backwards.