New Watch Owner ?’s

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Alameda, Oct 21, 2018.

1. Alameda macrumors 6502a

Alameda

I just received this watch as a gift. This is the first watch I’ve owned in decades; they usually bother me, especially as my wrist expands and contracts through the day while typing, etc. My first impression is that this watch is remarkably comfortable and I usually don’t notice it. I went to the Apple Store to look for a snazzier band, but they’re very heavy, so I think I’ll stick with black plastic, unless anyone has suggestions.

My first question: Is there a way to reduce the number of icons which appear in the “App Layout”? I’ve deleted all I can, but these icons are minuscule and I can’t really select one. How can I remove “Camera,” “Photos,” “To Do” and other built-ins which I don’t use?

My second question: Besides tracking my walking, what do people do with these watches? Since I need to use my phone anyway, how do you use it in your day? This isn’t a put-down, I’m just trying to understand when people use Watch Messages instead of iPhone Messages.

So far:
    I track my walking
    I read text messages
    I launch Siri while driving
    I see my calendar invites
    Sometimes, I even check the time of day :)

Thank you for all answers and ideas.

2. dooku77 macrumors member

dooku77

You can’t remove preinstalled apps on the watch. Only thing you can do is go into watch app on phone and uninstall whatever you have installed.

3. Alameda thread starter macrumors 6502a

Alameda

I was afraid of that...
    Where’s a good hacker when you need one?

4. StumpyBloke Suspended

StumpyBloke

When in the app icon screen, press on the watch screen and chose List view

5. DennisdeWit macrumors 6502

DennisdeWit

Exactly. I figured this out a week ago and am very comfortable with it. Never owned any watch. The Apple Watch 4 is my first ever watch. :)

6. Alameda thread starter macrumors 6502a

Alameda

I’m sorry... I don’t understand what to do. I can’t make this work.
    I have a Series III Watch, but that shouldn’t make a difference, should it?
    If I press the Digital Crown to display the icons, I can hold down the Watch icon (which is Clock, not Watch... there is no Watch icon), and if I hold it down, the icons wiggle. If I just tap the icon, I get the clock.
    Not sure what it is I’m supposed to do.

7. cwosigns macrumors 68000

cwosigns

When viewing the app icons, press down hard on the watch screen (not icon) and choose list view.

8. StumpyBloke Suspended

StumpyBloke

9. Alameda thread starter macrumors 6502a

Alameda

Ah.... HA!!!
    Thank you for being so patient. Much appreciated!

10. staggerlee41, Oct 21, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2018

staggerlee41 macrumors 6502a

staggerlee41

Basically most of the things you can do on the phone can be done on the watch but sometimes looking at a watch is less obnoxious than pulling out a phone and looking at that. As you've alluded to, messages, mail, calendar, time--imagine that lol. those are the obvious ones.

I primarily wanted one to help improve my activity and also the breathe reminders. I liked the idea of stand reminders since I work at a desk all day and tracking fitness & heart rate. I then discovered I could use it for sleep tracking and since doing so I've gotten into a much more routine sleep schedule which is great.

I also like it for weather alerts, looking at incoming phone calls/messages when my phone isn't nearby, apple pay, travel/flight information, volume control of my Bose system, Uber, lists in One Note or Ever Note, bike app, and back to time again. The world clock is nice so you can quickly see time if you're traveling in another time zone or if you have people you're speaking to in a different time zone.

As far as bands, sports loop is very light and comfortable. One of my favorite bands is a leather option from FFF. Very light, extremely comfortable and a nice way to dress up the watch.

https://formfunctionform.com/product/button-stud-apple-watch-band/

Hopefully this gives you an idea of possibilities. I hope you enjoy your new watch!

11. Ntombi macrumors 68040

Ntombi

I suggest you try the sports loop. They’re super comfortable, infinitely adjustable, and they allow your skin to breathe. They also don’t interfere with typing.

12. MEJHarrison macrumors 65816

One of my favorite things, and it's a little thing to be fair, is that I can unlock my MacBook and iMac without needing to type in a password. I just wake the computer the computer and I'm logged in.

13. tromboneaholic Suspended

tromboneaholic

• Add things to my grocery list in Reminders through the week on my phone and then check them off on the Watch app as I buy them. I used to do it while holding the phone and pushing the cart which was cumbersome.

• Check to see who is calling or messaging when my phone is in my pocket or in another room.

• write a quick message reply when my phone is in my pocket or in another room.

• make sure I don't miss important calls or messages I'm expecting.

• sleep tracking.

• quickly glance at weather conditions and temp for the next 5 hours.

• monitor my heart rate.

• tell time (which sounds funny but it beats using the iPhone as a digital pocket watch).

14. staggerlee41 macrumors 6502a

staggerlee41

I have been struggling to find a good way to do this rather than making a list the old fashioned way. I tried a couple of different apps but never found one I liked well enough. I'm going to have to give this a shot. Thanks for the suggestion!

15. tromboneaholic Suspended

tromboneaholic

--- Post Merged, Oct 22, 2018 ---
    I created a list called "grocery" in reminders.
    Then I can say "Hey Siri, add cheese to my grocery list" or whatever I just ran out of.
    I shared the list with my wife, so we can both add to the list and mark things off as we shop.

16. hipsheik macrumors regular

There's a great review by TechCrunch on the AW4 that touches on this.

The reviewer has a lot insights on why the watch promotes social behavior.

When you check your watch, you don't have to disengage from moments. It's a quick glance. You don't look at the watch for more than a minute.

Whereas if you pull out your phone, you're likely to check a myriad of other things, and we do this 100x a day with our phones.

The watch will help delete this reflex behavior. Not only that, it's much less work physically to check the watch 100x a day than an 8 plus, for example.