New way of charging iPhone with Magsafe type adatper?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by MarvinHC, May 18, 2015.

1. MarvinHC macrumors 6502a

I came across the article in the link below, which shows basically a lightning to Magsafe type adapter that can constantly stay in the iPhone. This would dramatically improve docking stations, no need to plug anything in. I really like that idea and was wondering if somebody has seen this in the market place or if this is still a prototype / project?
    I can't read Chinese, so cannot really get the details. This is on the website of an electronics retailer, but no price, buying or reservation option. Therefore not sure what this is about, but as said, I really like the idea.

http://zdm.yixun.com/detail/AGassakjVq?YTAG=1.157438090001833000

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. bigpoppamac31 macrumors 68020

This would be a really good idea. I wonder why Apple didn't implement this from the beginning. They already had MagSafe in their MBP since 2006. Just make it flush with the phone instead of that thing sticking out.

3. MarvinHC thread starter macrumors 6502a

I agree it should be flush with the phone but this is of course an aftermarket solution.

Let's hope Apple gets inspired :) (but then again they have turned their back to magsafe with the new macbook :rolleyes:)

4. Tozovac macrumors 65816

Tozovac

Has anyone bought a magsafe/lightning connector recently and had good luck with it? Desperately trying to find one since my iphone/lightning port keeps wearing away with dirt ingestion, marking up the contacts on lightning cables.

5. Diorama macrumors 6502a

6. Tozovac macrumors 65816

Tozovac

Thanks, saw some too. Looking for some feedback here from macrumors users. Just so so surprised these weren't "innovated" to the iphone by Apple by now. MagSafe on MacBook laptops is genius. Oh and now being slowly removed by Apple's geniuses...

7. Ebok Suspended

the reason why it works for computers is because a computer is heavy and if you pull on the cord it will pop right out. this wouldn't work on an iPhone

just buy a wireless charger (if your phone has qi charging)

8. Tozovac macrumors 65816

Tozovac

Not what's driving me here. I find that my usage style tends to ruin lightning cables. The copper/gold connectors on the male end tend to scrape over time, i assume from dirt in the lightning port on the iPhone/iPad, and a black stripe is marked on a connector eventually, on both sides in the same location, rendering that cable useless. I don't know for sure whether the corresponding connector in the device is also wearing. The situation is bound to only get worse with my iPhone 7 since Apple decided to minimize away the headphone port. I believe a magnetic connector would help by decreasing the # of inserts/removals.
    --- Post Merged, Oct 3, 2018 ---

Has anyone tried this one:

Anchor Cable. Not on Amazon. Not officially MFI certified, as far as I can tell.

https://anchorlabs.co/pages/anchorcable
    https://www.macworld.co.uk/feature/apple/best-lightning-cables-3638781/

9. MarvinHC thread starter macrumors 6502a

I have tried a couple of these and they all died rather quickly. Now with wireless charging available I'd say this is a lot less important.

10. Tozovac macrumors 65816

Tozovac

With wired backing-up still prevalent, cables are not going away anytime soon. Unless someone's going to buy 6 charging pads for their car, bedroom, work, garage, basement, kitchen, etc., the convenience of being able to use a corded input isn't going away anytime soon. And the convenience/function of a magsafe-like iPhone/iPad connection for charging & backing up (and now for corded headphones thanks to Apple) would be too great. Maybe the magsafe development team was redeployed to work on maximizing animojis and minimizing bezels, two very important areas desperately needing design innovation.

11. MarvinHC thread starter macrumors 6502a

I am not saying that wires are going away, though charging pads don't cost much anymore. And I would have loved to have a magsafe type connection but Apple doesn't seem to be interested in making one (and I hate them for not making them on MacBooks anymore) and the third party ones don't seem to work well (I have tried as mentioned several). And now with wireless charging being more and more common, there will be less demand for magsafe style so I think it is highly unlikely that a reliable supplier or Apple themselves will invest into bringing a good solution to the market.

I personally have still mixed feelings about the wireless charging in general, but I wouldn't want to miss it anymore in the car, so much more convenient when you often get in and out of the car.