New With Questions

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MJBaldwin, Jul 24, 2012.

1. MJBaldwin macrumors newbie

Hello all I am new to this forum but have a few questions.

I have done some research now as well as trial and error. I have an iPhone 4S and here is my dilemma. I am wondering how I can use two different computers for my iTunes library (never really have used it a whole lot) I put all my songs on my home laptop which is a very slow computer and then went to go plug it in at my work computer and wouldn’t transfer my songs to that computers iTunes account. I am wondering if i could store all my music on a flash drive and or external hard drive and then bounce between computers. My main computer I could do things on would be my work computer since I have internet there and do not at home.

A lot of information I know I hope that you can help my second is my Fiancé and I both have iPhones but we both have different music is there a way that she can only have her music and I will only have my music. With the exception of a few songs that we both want ?

I really hope you guys can help and I am thanking you all in advance for this I will keep this page open and wait for your response!

2. mjpearce023 macrumors 6502

Yes you can use an external hard rive to store your music and sync off the work computer. You could also back your itunes to DVDs and use that to put all the music on your work computer.

There are a couple ways you can have separate music in itunes. You could create your own playlist in itunes and then create one for your girl and sync them off those playlist. If you want to completely separate libraries then you need create another user account and setup her itunes in that user account. If you have windows 7 you can setup a new user account pretty easily in the control panel. Then you could have all her stuff synced on that user account and you don't have to worry about getting her apps or contacts mixed up with your phone. That is the way I do it on my computer and it works great.

3. FSMBP macrumors 68020

FSMBP

If you check "Manually Manage Music", doesn't that allow your iPhone to plug into others' iTunes and drag music? That way you can use either computer (I think...)

4. Want300 macrumors 65816

Want300

I doubt this works for an iPhone, but when I had a iPod... I set the iPod to "Manually Manage Music and Video"... This allowed me to drag and drop music from different iTunes libraries onto my iPod.

I do not like this option anymore for this reason: When I add new music, I have to select that music by itself and add it to the iPod, otherwise you will create duplicates.

----------------------------------------

A better option would be to get all of your music onto one computer, whichever is most convenient for both phones and has reliable speed.

Then, you can create a playlist for each of your phones in iTunes. Then, drag and drop all the music you want into the playlist (The playlist will warn you about duplicates which is nice). Then, under the music options of the iPhone, select sync selected playlists instead of sync entire music library.

In my case, I have a 32 Gb iPhone, and I want all of the music. So I sync my whole library. My girlfriend has a playlist titled "Nikki's iPhone" that her phone is synced to because she only has a 16 Gb model.

----------

I am not sure, this worked for my iPod back in the day. I do know that the first time you click that button... It will delete what is currently on the phone and cause you to restart the process of adding music. Which is minor.

I just can't stand when I add a bunch of music that I have to go and select those specific songs and add them to the phone.

5. MJBaldwin thread starter macrumors newbie

Want300, I like your Idea with the two different playlists. two questions on that then. She gets all her music from this free music app as well as I do too. Then once I hook my iphone up I can drag all that music into my itunes library. Once I have out playlists created can we have duplicated songs on each of the playlists? I just know she likes some of the songs i have and I like some of hers that would be my only concern I know you mentioned this just want to make sure I can make this possible.

With all that being said How can I get my music from my computer at home to my work computer's itunes? can I just put them on a cd and then navigate my library to an external harddrive... (dont want to store the music on my work computer ill just use it for itunes and then have all the music stored on an external hard drive) or is this not possible?

6. Want300 macrumors 65816

Want300

First Question, Yes. Each playlist can contain whatever songs you would like. It will notify you if you are putting a duplicate song in that specific playlist. And then you can choose to prevent it from adding the duplicate songs. This is nice because sometimes you may think you haven't added a song or artist when you actually have added it already.

Second, I am not sure about this but... From my experience with burning movies to my computer using Handbreak or when I create movies with iMovie and port them to iTunes... It actually creates a new file for the one that is in iTunes. Music off of an external drive may work differently, I am not sure. When I burn the movies with Handbreak, it puts a file on my desktop which I drag into iTunes. Once it is finished, I delete the file off my desktop and permanently delete it from my trash can... It still works in iTunes because it created a new file specific to iTunes. This may also happen with music. Someone else may have the answer to this.