New X-25M/18M firmware out again - anyone tried it yet?

andothfc

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2008
Yeah, installed it here. Absolutely no problems. I had installed the one that got pulled as well so already had the speed improvements that that brought.

bware189

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2009
Same thing here. Installed in my gen 2 Intel SSD no problem at all.
Did you guys install it without using the instructions in the .pdf, or did you simply just burn the .iso to a disk and straight install? The .pdf said that it is advisable to install the SSD in another non-NVIDIA based system, update the firmware and then return the drive to your mac.

fehhkk

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2009
Chicago, IL
No noticeable improvements, but I upgraded from the last firmware that was pulled due to TRIM issues under Windows 7, and there was a slight speed increase with that upgrade.

Regardless, it's working perfectly.

Plain Lazy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 24, 2009
Did you guys install it without using the instructions in the .pdf, or did you simply just burn the .iso to a disk and straight install? The .pdf said that it is advisable to install the SSD in another non-NVIDIA based system, update the firmware and then return the drive to your mac.
Cheers for the responses people.

I upgraded mine no problems by burning the iso using disk utility and booting from it. The actual boot and loading of the utility takes a while, but then the flashing is instantaneous. I followed the instructions and rebooted again from the cd to make sure the right firmware was reported too. All was nicely stress-free.

No great shakes in xbench performance increases, but happy for the free speed increase nonetheless. I suspect mine may have come with a newer firmware anyway as it was only manufactured Oct 09.

dgdosen

macrumors 68000
Dec 13, 2003
Seattle
just checking on this - does the flashing have any impact on the current contents of the disk?

Do you need to wipe it to perform the update??

fehhkk

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2009
Chicago, IL
just checking on this - does the flashing have any impact on the current contents of the disk?

Do you need to wipe it to perform the update??
No impact, you are flashing the drive's controller firmware, nothing on the drive's data itself.

dgdosen

macrumors 68000
Dec 13, 2003
Seattle
I wish I had seen that NewEgg had the X-25M-G2 on Black Friday for $215... Now I refuse to buy one for more.