New York city surprise - any help from new yorkers?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by klaus, Jan 13, 2009.

1. klaus macrumors 6502a

klaus

Hey Guys,

I'm going back to New York in june for three days (after a trip at the west coast) and I would like to surprise my girlfriend with something special while being there.

Something like a dinner reservation at a very special place, magnificent view or just very uncommon. It can't cost a 1000$ if you know what I mean, but a couple of hundred is ok though.

Having dinner on a rooftop with a view on NY seems nice, but maybe you guys have some tips, restaurant names or other things that are great for a couple?

Thanks guys!

2. bigjnyc macrumors 601

bigjnyc

For my girlfriends birthday 2 weeks ago I took a helicopter tour of new york city which was about $160 each(http://www.zipover.com) . Then took her on a horse carriage ride through central park which was $34 (i gave the guy $50 with the tip). then we had dinner at the Marriott view which is a circular revolving restaurant in times square with an excellent view of the city. dinner was about $150 including drinks and gratuity.

also if you are going to have access to a car or some form of transportation try chart house which is in NJ right across the lincoln tunnel. the food is awesome and the restaurant is all glass, its right on the edge of the hudson river so the view of new york city across the way is breathtaking
    http://www.chart-house.com/ look for the weehawken location

Good luck.

3. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Make out in the apple store! =p

Sounds like fun.

4. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

I second that. The views of the city are spectacular. I've eaten there three times; the food is very good.

FWIW, the restaurants high up never did it for me.

Enjoy your stay here. :)

5. pilotError macrumors 68020

pilotError

6. klaus thread starter macrumors 6502a

klaus

Great guys, thanks for the suggestions so far, the 2 restaurants look great.

I took the helicopter tour 2 years ago, and yeah, maybe i'll organize one for her as well, but I was thinking of doing that when we are in the Grand Canyon. Don't know yet whether to choose the plane or the heli.

Thx again!

7. drichards macrumors 6502a

drichards

Larry Flint's cigar bar has some good rooftop action. If that's not your bag, Bobby Flay's place is nice too.