New York Gov. Patterson To Introduce Gay Marriage Legislation

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Teh Don Ditty, Apr 14, 2009.

1. Teh Don Ditty macrumors G4

Teh Don Ditty

Don't know if this was posted in any other thread, if so can the mods kindly move it.

CNN Link

All I have to say is, it's about time. I think we need a big state (population wise) to really get the rest of the country moving.

2. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Turns out teh ghey really IS contagious. Or at least gay marriage is...

3. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

i strongly dislike patterson.....though for reasons completely unrelated to this

i think he is a horrible governor

edit: wake me up when texas and oklahoma and the south follow suit

4. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

God, as much as this is a good step, I really wish federal government would just save us the time and make it legal all over!

The GOP should be on this for individual rights, darn the religious right for ruining it! And more dems should come out in full support...none of this "civil union" junk!

5. Dmac77 macrumors 68020

Dmac77

Great! Hopefully this will continue to spread to other states. Although, I really dislike Patterson and his fiscal policy, it's great that he is doing this.

Don

6. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    I think we have a fan club lol. ;)

Attached Files:

7. Malfoy macrumors 6502a

Malfoy

Way to take 2 not necessarily related things and use it to attack a group.

The potential for this thread to start into a flame war is very high but I cant stand when someone makes comments like what's bolded above.

I'm for individual rights but don't believe the rights one of group gets to infringe on the rights of another.

We have a freedom OF religion, not FROM it and marriage was a religous institution before it was a legal one.

8. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Seems to be snowballing lately, I cant wait for the avalanche!:)

9. drewsof07 macrumors 68000

drewsof07

10. Gelfin macrumors 68020

Gelfin

Both false.

First, the freedom of religion is rooted in the fundamental freedom of individual conscience. A person cannot be forced to believe something. He can only be forced to say something someone else finds convenient, and the enlightenment philosophy on which the United States is founded holds such coercion to be the essence of unethicality. The freedom of religion is the right to hold any view on a religious topic, including the view that the claims of religious people are unsupportable and therefore pragmatically false. Forcing people to pick and adhere to even an arbitrary superstition in which they do not otherwise believe simply because you believe "religion," however vaguely defined, is automatically morally superior to its absence is completely alien to any reasonable conception of freedom.

Second, the primary purpose of marriage has always been an explicit declaration of a legal relationship. Familial relationship is easy to address legally because blood relationships are incontestably traceable. Marital relationship requires an explicit declaration involving assent of both involved parties (or, in certain primitive cultures, their legally responsible representatives) so that the law may properly acknowledge just kinship claims we hold in most cases to supersede inherited relationships by simple virtue of the volitional relationship of the marriage. The earthly function of legal marriage serves a critical and measurable function far exceeding the feel-good value of any fanciful story of a divine being's blessings.

11. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Umm...I was in bed. :)

Good news! It's about time! :D They're falling like dominoes indeed!

You're completely wrong. Read your history! Marriage was never originally a religious construct! This myth drives me nuts!

And we do indeed have freedom FROM religion. You can't force anyone to follow your beliefs in the USA. You can in Iran though.

Given that you're fully in support of individual rights, but not the rights of one group over another, I expect your next post to state that you are in full support of equal marriage rights.

12. Teh Don Ditty thread starter macrumors G4

Teh Don Ditty

^But but but you're forcing your beliefs on him!

;) :rolleyes: sarcasm, get used to it people!

13. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Yes- we'll force him to marry a guy. :rolleyes:

If they can stand on a corner preaching and telling gays they're going to hell while annoying everyone else too (happens here a lot), then I damn well can get married.

14. drewsof07 macrumors 68000

drewsof07

How does one measure this? Just out of curiosity. :)

15. Teh Don Ditty thread starter macrumors G4

Teh Don Ditty

I feel bad for the guy and him.

I've never actually seen those types of protests and I know they happen and it's beyond scary. Religion, the biggest quagmire of all time?

BTW - I can't see you getting married anytime soon, player :D

16. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Can you imagine? :)

Usually it's just one with a megaphone. At Pride it's a lot more and they're awful. They've tried to start fights with people too. I just moon them when I get the chance. :) Jerks can't even leave us alone for one day. It's not like we raid churches on Christmas. But hey- we're the ones who are forcing ourselves on them. :rolleyes:

:D It's just a phase. I have a feeling the love bug is gonna bite me again fairly soon. It usually happens when I'm not looking for it. Now whether it results in a life sentence will remain to be seen. ;) For now I'm happy playing the field.

17. Teh Don Ditty thread starter macrumors G4

Teh Don Ditty

I can and I see it not ending very well.

There's always one. I believe it. You moon them? That's probably the most ass they've all gotten in a long time. That actually sounds like fun *schemes* Stop forcing your ghey™ on me!!! :rolleyes:

It always hits when you least expect it. As long as you're enjoying yourself, having a good time, and of course being safe then carry on.

18. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

:eek::)

Yes, we moon them. Then they scream and shout, "Perverts! You're all going to Hell!" and other such nonsense. :rolleyes:

And when you don't want it.

I didn't survive the 80's by being reckless. ;)

19. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

Depends on your point of origin. If we are speaking about this country in particular, they were co-existent at the beginning (which would make sense for this argument). Still, what's the point of debating its origin? It's irrelevant. Regardless of origin, it's now recognized as a legal union and is subject to the legislation processes that are afforded by this status.

20. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

How exactly do gays getting married infringe on your rights?

Nope, and nope.

Cry and whine all you want, gays will be getting married all over this country in short order. And you know what? You don't have to like it any more than I like religious organizations getting tax-exempt status while supporting Republicans and bashing Democrats. No one will force you to like it.

The gay sex I mean. Which will happen right after your forced marriage to another man. Oh wait, I gave away the super-duper-ooper-schmooper secret plan again...

21. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

Gay banditos are much more subtle than that, they start corrupting them early on. ;)

22. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Yeah, they're supposed to lose tax-exempt status if they endorse a candidate. :eek:

23. maestro55 macrumors 68030

maestro55

This is certainly a step in the right direction. And I will second zap2 on wishing the Federal government would step up and make same-sex marriage legal. Otherwise, even if it became legal in the northeast and the west coast there will still be same-sex couples in the south all the way to Texas that are denied marriage. Thus far, the only reason I hear from politicians is that it is against christian law. Last time I checked the first amendment says that the government shall make no laws respecting the establishment of religion and banning same-sex marriage does just that.

24. Gelfin macrumors 68020

Gelfin

Compare and contrast the social circumstances that pertain to a couple that is married and another couple that has not married but is in all other respects similar. The differences between the two in the view of law and society are readily quantifiable, or at least enumerable.

25. drewsof07 macrumors 68000

drewsof07

Such as the fact a married couple can make medical decisions for one another, whereas an unwed couple cannot?