New York, New York, got to love those liberals.

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Shivetya, Nov 25, 2009.

1. Shivetya macrumors 65816

http://volokh.com/2009/11/24/new-yo...pholds-atlantic-yards-condemnations/#comments

The New York Court of Appeals has issued its opinion in Goldstein v. New York State Urban Development Corporation, an important property rights case. The 6–1 decision upholds the condemnation of numerous properties in the Atlantic Yards area for the purpose of transferring them to powerful developer Bruce Ratner, who plans to use most of the land to build a new stadium for the New Jersey Nets and to construct “luxury” housing. This outcome is not surprising. As I explained in this post, where I predicted the result, New York courts are among the most hostile to property rights of any in the country. New York is also one of only seven states that hasn’t enacted eminent domain reform of any kind since the federal Supreme Court’s controversial 2005 decision upholding “economic development” condemnations in Kelo v. City of New London.

There are homes in that "blighted" area that cost SIX HUNDRED THOUSAND DOLLARS. Just another example of how politicians look out only for those who can line their campaign coffers with real money. While they may talk about the value of Main Street and everyday people your value is simply a vote one day each two to four years.

If you live in New York your home falls under the definition of blight as the definition is so broad to encompass anyone who basically is not a friend of the local politicians or mega rich campaign donors.

2. Queso macrumors G4

Six hundred thousand dollars isn't expensive for a home in a major urban area. Houses on my street go for upwards of £2 million.

3. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

This has nothing to do with liberals. This is a universal problem both parties abhor. We fought eminent domain in my neighborhood and won-liberal and conservatives together. This isn't a black and white issue. Get over yourself, and please try to start a thread without an inflammatory title for once on your life.

4. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

You do live in a rather nice part of London then ;). And London is ridiculously expensive to live in.

5. Queso macrumors G4

Totally agreed on both points :D

The point I'm making though is that a run down shack on my street would be worth more than £600k just because of the location, so you can't equate the value of the property with the wealth of the owners.

6. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Wait...what have liberals [specifically] got to do with greed and inflated property prices?

7. Queso macrumors G4

Because of Clinton, dummy :p

(No, I know it makes no sense whatsoever, but it helps certain people retain their world view :D)

8. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

I really don't see how this is a Democratic or Republican issue. But since you seem to think so, you should know that of the 7 judges on the Court of Appeals, 4 were appointed by George Pataki, a Republican. Cuomo, Spitzer and Paterson have each appointed 1.

9. SactoGuy18 macrumors 68020

SactoGuy18

People forget that the Atlantic Yards area is already pretty run-down to start with and ANY major development to revive the area would be welcome. I think it's just a bunch of local landowners with sour grape attitudes that realize they didn't propose the idea first and will lose out on the benefits.

Here in Sacramento, CA, a local landowner fought for YEARS any major redevelopment of K Street Mall, something that should have been done at least 15 years ago. If they had completed the redevelopment project back in 1994, K Street mall today would be a very vibrant area full of revived shops--just like what happened to Times Square in New York City during its spectacular revival in the 1990's.

10. IntheNet macrumors regular

IntheNet

We've seen this before from the lefty libs...

Shivetya: Thanks for your post... We've seen this before from the lefty libs... but this case is symptomatic of the Deep Democrat Dump on citizens! Imagine... Democrats condemning an area, evicting its citizens and homes, all so developer contributes to Democrats! Then Developer decides not to develop! The Supreme Court too is guilty here... Take Away: Democrats Bad For Citizens. . We've seen this before from the lefty libs..

11. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

^ You two should get together and have babies.

12. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

If they're both men, wouldn't they have to adopt? I suppose surrogacy is always an option ;).

13. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

I think the two of them could try, I'm certain they're all for a bit of man love.

14. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Once again, how is this a Democratic issue? A majority of the courts judges were appointed by Republican George Pataki, aka Al Damato's lap dog.

15. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

You didn't even read any body else's reply. You just saw this inflammatory thread title, hit the reply button, and contributed your own inflammatory liberal bashing comments.

16. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

Sounds like surrogacy would be somewhat fitting for people who think of women as nothing more than a walking uterus for them to seek control over.

17. IntheNet macrumors regular

IntheNet

:rolleyes:

Rather than me answering that directly, why don't you carefully research developer Bruce Ratner's payoffs to local Democrats, his pie-in-the-sky plans, fanned by Dems, to develop area with baseball yards and construct fancy housing, the tacit Dem support of eminent domain here in Atlantic Yards where it was not applicable, and what happened in the end....

I actually think the title is rather precise. You would too if you investigated this story rather than simply condemned me for expressing a viewpoint on it. Go ahead... you can do it... research the topic... do yourself a favor...Here's the link again...

http://volokh.com/2009/11/24/new-yor...ions/#comments

Re-read Shivetya's initial post too.

18. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

I wouldn't argue for a minute that there aren't corrupt Dems, they're politicians, they're all dodgy. If the Republicans were squeaky clean you might have a point, but since they're not, you don't.

19. Don't panic macrumors 603

Don't panic

Actually, there are homes that are worth well more than that, easily in the multimillion range.
    i don't particularly approve of the development plan, for a number of reasons, but to characterize this as a democratic/liberal coup is disingenuous at best and a blatant lie at worst.
    indeed the major opponents of the projects, which is broadly seen as a pataki legacy, are dems. that said, many dems also support it, but this pretty much independent of party lines.

so, if you were a honest person you'd change the title to something more akin to reality and less obviously trollish, but i won't hold my breath for that.

20. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

In Fox News land the Republicans are much cleaner than Democrats, as when they get caught doing something wrong their party affiliation changes ;).

21. Shivetya thread starter macrumors 65816

I forgot, inflammatory titles are not permitted unless bashing Christians, I will refrain from posting such titles against protected groups on this forum. :rolleyes:

22. splitpea macrumors 6502a

Most "New York liberals" I know are disgusted by this sort of corporate welfare, not in favor of it. There's a reason a similar plan for a stadium on the far West Side of Manhattan completely flopped. This is the one area in which Mayor Bloomberg has really disappointed over the past 8 years.

23. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Hey- your thread title has nothing to do with reality. Have you guys forgotten that a conservative Supreme Court ruled this use of eminent domain was OK? Stop and open your eyes for a minute before you post stupid titles like this. This could have been a good discussion about eminent domain, which is everyone's problem. Instead, you decided to try to make it a partisan issue.

24. Queso macrumors G4

The difference is that in general, threads bashing Christians are in response to some idiots doing idiotic things in the name of Christianity. There is nothing in your example above of people doing anything in the name of Liberalism. The only link between the events and Liberals is in your own head.

So if you wish to stop Christian-bashing thread, stop those on the fringe of Christianity from assuming they speak for all Christians when they launch their fringe politics actions.

25. djellison macrumors 68020

This is not just an inflammatory title - it's intentionally, wilfully and knowingly wrong. It's a fabrication.

Or as most people would call it...

lying.