NEW YORK people: What is there to do outside of the city? Attractions?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by ozreth, Nov 2, 2011.

1. ozreth macrumors 65816

ozreth

My girlfriends birthday is coming up and I'm looking to do something nice outside of the city, upstate or something. Thing is we haven't been here very long and don't know the area.

Are there any wilderness and/or small town attractions outside of the city? Museums? Tours? etc. Looking to keep it on the cheap side of things as well. Will be taking a bus/RR wherever we go.

2. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

No, there is nothing up here that would interest you folks down in the city. ;)

Really, it depends on how far you want to go. I would suggest that you consider renting a car instead of a bus or train, as it will significantly open your options, probably won't cost a whole lot more than two round-trip tickets, and will give you a lot more time doing what you want rather than getting there (although with the two of you in a car, the drive can be a big part of the enjoyment as well - less so on public transportation.)

The Catskills are filled with beautiful mountains and this is the (tail-end) of the best time of year to see them (well, all of upstate NY really). The New Paltz area might be a good choice, as it's reasonably close, and beautiful scenery, a nice small town and lots of outdoor activities available. A nice b&b on a fall weekend sounds like a pretty good birthday present. The Adirondacks have scores of great towns, views, and lakes, but are a considerably longer trek. The central NY Finger Lakes region is also beautiful with lakes, b&b's and wineries everywhere.

Have fun!

3. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

Everybody knows that there is nothing to do outside NYC! Everywhere else is the hinterlands. ;) :D

Post #2 has great suggestions. Upper NY State is so beautiful. The suggestion to rent a car is spot on - much more flexibility. If you're doing an overnight, B&B's are a charming alternative to hotels. No room service (humankind's greatest invention), but often a great dining room.

Have fun...:D

4. elistan macrumors 6502a

I don't know if you can really get to the interesting (IMO) bits of upstate via train or bus. Like Saratoga Springs and Lake Placid. Unfortunately, you've missed out on most of the fall colors. (Although some reports I've read suggest you can still catch some on Long Island.)

5. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

Litchfield County in Connecticut and southern Berkshire County in Massachusetts are very popular weekend getaways for people from the city looking for small towns and outdoors. There are plenty of hiking trails and quaint new england villages to check out, and it's reasonably accessible by train, via Metro North Harlem Line, though, as with anywhere else that far from the city, a car makes things easier.