New York Plans to Ban Sale of Big Sizes of Sugary Drinks

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by kavika411, May 31, 2012.

1. kavika411 macrumors 6502a

kavika411

New York Times

Thankfully, super-sized chocolate shakes and fishbowl margaritas are safe.

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I just saw this on the news and read it earlier online. The issue isn't just soda and frankly, people who really want more will find a way to circumvent this ban.

3. robanga macrumors 68000

robanga

The nanny state. Better ban Bagels why they are at it.

4. MorphingDragon macrumors 603

MorphingDragon

I would say it's a cultural issue. There are no laws here prohibiting the sale of gigantic beverages, no one would buy them.

5. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I agree somewhat but I would not say that "no one" in NZ would buy one without being able to qualify the statement.

6. Queso macrumors G4

America needs to slim down, but I'm not sure if NY has the right strategy here. Much better to educate people so that the demand for these super-size portions disappears, to the point where nobody bothers to offer them. Otherwise people will carry on with their existing oversized behaviour, but with two cups rather than one.

7. jeremy h macrumors 6502

A few months ago I went to Paris and one thing that struck me I hadn't noticed on my previous trips (probably because we had kids with us this time) was that in pretty much every restaurant we went to they immediately plonked a jug of water down in front of you.

Perhaps some sort of legislation to that effect might be a better way of doing it - it really cut back on the purchasing of fizzy drinks... (Not sure how it would work in McDonalds though...)

8. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Interesting philosophical discussion about the role of government. Is a nanny state required or should we all be allowed to turn into huge lumps of sickly lard if we want to, not that this rule will fix that? But I do know that cigarette taxes seem to be having an effect on smokers, in essence helping them to kick the habit...

I am undecided. I'm not against a nanny state unless it goes too far, but how far is that? ;)

I really like it when states force restaurants to post the calorie count in foods. Of course restaurants hate it. Personally it is more effective for me because I never thought a slice of pizza could range from 500 calories to 1500 calories, just one slice, and it alters my behavior. Maybe they should have the movies post calories by their entries instead?

9. WestonHarvey1 macrumors 68020

I get the whole "I feel like I'm being ripped off" thing that encourages you not to ask for water when you get a value meal, but most places do have unsweetened iced tea.

Most people just seem to want to drink pop.

----------

There's nothing to educate. Everyone knows that constantly eating supersized meals will make them fat. Everyone, I don't care who, I don't care what socioeconomic class they're from. It is intuitively obvious to everyone.

People want to eat the stuff, and it's their right to do so.

10. MorphingDragon macrumors 603

MorphingDragon

No one that marketers care about.

11. basesloaded190 macrumors 68030

basesloaded190

I would like to quote Ron Swanson from Parks and Rec on this subject:

"The whole point of this country is if you want to eat garbage, balloon up to 600 pounds and die of a heart attack at 43, you can! You are free to do so. To me, that's beautiful."

12. tigres macrumors 68040

tigres

I personally cannot comprehend how people can actually consume that amount of beverage; or would want to. I have a hard time finishing a Coke out of 16.9 oz bottle, in fact I dare say I can't.

We have a speedway gas station near me. I see people literally filling up these (what I call) fish tanks with straws at the fountain. They have got to be 64+oz of soda- I simply can't wrap my head around how people can actually consume that amount of soda- even sipping at it for hours on end.

Be that as it may, it's called gluttony IMHO and a state such as NY really has no place in this arena. People want to be pigs, let em. Hello captain obvious, 64 oz soft drinks, energy drinks, etc- consumed by a single individual is quite over the top.

The only time I see this type of liquid amount obviously good for you is when you are drinking water or electrolytes to replenish your fluids. This of course is again, in my eyes obvious.

13. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Ask yourself, what came first, the chicken or the egg? Restaurant portion sizes are humongous as compared to the 60's. This obesity problem did not exist then. So is it the consumer who demands more or is it a marketing issue when restaurants instead of offering a $3 piece of cake, instead only sell a $10 piece of cake?

Do we just let it happen or do we take steps to push people back towards a healthier lifestyle?

14. ppilone macrumors 6502

I understand why it could be concerning if NYC was stepping in and banning all sugary drinks, but I think they're taking a good stance against the oversized monstrosities that should have never happened in the first place.

15. jeremy h macrumors 6502

Are fizzy drinks in the US cheaper compared with elsewhere? (It's been a few years since I've last been.)

The reason I ask is I read somewhere that the cheap availability(?) of corn syrup in the States means their fizzy drinks are going to be cheaper than other places that use, say, cane or beet sugar?

16. hafr macrumors 68030

Hold on, a regular coffee in NYC is a pint? Really? Am I missing something in the translation?

----------

You mean smokers and drinkers are just uninformed?

17. MorphingDragon macrumors 603

MorphingDragon

I would say that's acceptable as long as America keeps a free-market health care system.

18. hafr macrumors 68030

Another thing about Paris (well, France in general) is that when you order a soda in a restaurant, you get about 8 fl oz.

I was annoyed with it at first, since I had to order at least two. But now I never finish a "regular" soda when in the UK for instance, which is a pint.

19. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

Part of the obesity problem stems from the use of high fructose corn syrup, which is a chemical manipulation of ordinary corn syrup. Thing about fructose is that it is metabolized into fat directly by the liver instead of going the insulin route. Insulin generates a feeling of satiation, so bypassing it with fructose makes it easier for people to overindulge.

I also wonder how much of those huge drinks actually get finished. We waste an enormous amount of food as it is (not that this stuff is really "food"), anything we can do to reduce that waste has to be a positive (except, of course, that the food waste will be replaced by an increase in container waste).

20. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

We'll be seeing more of this in the future, I guarantee you. We'll also see these kinds of foods taxed heavily.

21. hafr macrumors 68030

Already happening actually :) There is a kind of sugar tax in Denmark targeting mainly candy and sodas (products with added sugar, so not sugar per se), the UK have taxed cookies and cakes differently for a long time, and there seems to be discussions about following Denmark's example in quite a few places.

----------

You're absolutely correct. And the fact that fructose is only metabolized in the liver means that excessive intake causes the same liver damages as excessive alcohol intake, something people are not really aware of.

22. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

You mean everyone pay for themselves? Have no problem with a single payer system, but with this obesity problem, people who make destructive choices would have to be placed in a special category to address their individual issues, obesity, drugs, addiction, etc.

This sounds like the perfect role for government to take care of, instead of allowing the industry to take 50 years to figure out what the right thing to do is based on their profit margins.

23. jeremy h macrumors 6502

Don't get us stated on Jaffa cakes - that'll really derail this discussion...

Also - most places here serve 'sodas' in various sizes. Outside of fast food places you generally get a can (330ml) but in pubs it tends to come in two sizes (half pint and pint.) Most blokes tend to go for the pint by default! The problem there is that beer is often cheaper - fizzy drinks are generally quite expensive. (But that's another discussion.)

24. ericrwalker macrumors 68030

ericrwalker

Please don't ban this, I don't want to buy several small ones to make up for it.

[​IMG]