New York police slam videos showing officers pelted with objects

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by jkcerda, Jul 23, 2019.

1. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

https://www.foxnews.com/us/new-york...QVa66K5-hFG_OltC9aLAHPs9L0MGPK0gfb7KErS5xvkzE

congrats to the cops for keeping their cool

2. jbarley macrumors 68040

jbarley

An impromptu cold shower can do that.:D

3. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

What do you expect when people on the left view any enforcement body as "the enemy". Police, ICE, CBP, etc....they're all white supremacist organizations in what is now "Nazi Germany".

4. Solver, Jul 23, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2019

Solver macrumors 6502a

5. raqball macrumors 68000

Agree 100%

Hopefully the animals in the video are identified, arrested and held to account....

6. ronntaylor macrumors regular

ronntaylor

But what happened before the recording! </S>

Don’t know why the officers didn’t arrest the punks. They have them on video and can still have them arrested and charged with assault and battery, especially in the incident with the officer(s) being hit with a bucket.

The Police Union hyperbole against the mayor doesn’t help however. Neither does the same union excusing or ignoring NYPD officers murdering, hurting and insulting citizens.

7. yaxomoxay macrumors 68040

yaxomoxay

I believe that NYPD uses facial recognition extensively. No need to cause a scene - risking serious violence. They will be arrested at a later moment, when the mob won’t protect them.

8. sim667 macrumors 65816

9. JayMysterio macrumors 6502a

JayMysterio

10. stylinexpat macrumors 65816

stylinexpat

It is only water. In Thailand they have something called Songkran

11. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 604

NYC police officer chokes and kills Eric Garner. And still has his job.

People throw water and cheap plastic buckets at NYC police officers. And the people want them arrested.

Priorities are seriously screwed up.

12. yaxomoxay macrumors 68040

yaxomoxay

Because the choke hold was by policy for an arrest. And Mr. Garner tragically died of heart attack.

Because that's aggravated assault.

13. raqball macrumors 68000

If you and your family were walking down the street and a gang of animals doused them with buckets of water and bounced plastic buckets off their heads you'd say thank you?

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
    --- Post Merged, Jul 24, 2019 ---
    Now, now... Don't let silly little facts get in the way of the false outrage....

14. stylinexpat macrumors 65816

stylinexpat

Plastic buckets is not ok. Water on the other hand is debatable. Police use water canons on people at times also.

15. yaxomoxay macrumors 68040

yaxomoxay

Throwing water at someone can result in aggravated assault charges.

16. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

That "can" is doing a hellava' lot of work for such a tiny word. My sense is that charges often follow because someone threw a water bottle or some other container and the object did some damage, or there was some injury.

As for the cops, their reaction is telling. They continue going about their arrests, or walk along the street in a casual manner. They don't issue orders, or unholster a weapon. I don't see a baton out, but rather two officers strolling along.

Now, should people hurl water at police officers doing their job? No, not unless they're having a water fight, which other cops have done in neighborhoods, and fire departments used to open up fire hydrants so people could enjoy the spray of water in cities.

As for the union's idiotic claims, it's clear that the union doesn't care about transparency or how officers serve the public, and hasn't for a long time, preferring to literally turn their backs against the mayor in a symbolic snit rather than wrestle with how they serve, and have failed to serve the public.

And, yes, as for Eric Garner, he didn't die a heart attack by happenstance, but rather as the Medical Examiner testified the officer "choked him with enough force that it triggered a 'lethal cascade' of events, ending in a fatal asthma attack."

As the NYT reported:

And, here too, de Blasio can't win for losing, because he has refused to fire Daniel Pantaleo, and said that he had to respect the officer's due process. But, the union will still treat de Blasio poorly, even when he's standing up for the officer against political allies.

17. yaxomoxay macrumors 68040

yaxomoxay

Well, it's the truth. It simply depends on the prosecutor, but water (and not the container) can be considered for aggravated assault.

Yes, but the above tells that the reason for the chokehold was NOT to injure the guy. It was an awful, unfortunate circumstance caused by a pre-existing condition.

18. hulugu, Jul 24, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2019

hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

I think a prosecutor is going to struggle mightily to succeed on a case that water itself constitutes aggravated assault. Generally speaking, aggravated assault is attempt to cause serious physical injury to another, or using a deadly weapon or object.

Now, assault against police, other EMS, as well as teachers and school employees, can be elevated to aggravated assault. But, the claim would have to built on whether throwing water is assault, and I haven't seen any cases of that. At best, you'd be taken what are often considered class 3 assaults—with intent to provoke someone—and elevating that to aggravated assault, which is a such sign of leading a logical man to bedlam.

Instead, most prosecutors focus on the container—mostly tossed water-bottles—because the full object has a potential to harm someone. Again, just because some clever prosecutor has conned some dummy into a plea because he threw aggravated assault on the table doesn't mean that this is where the law should go.

If someone throws water at a cop, aggravated assault would be a striking over-reaction.

And, here the actors could claim, and maybe win, because the cops clearly ignore repeated drenchings.

Lastly, police unions continue to cry wolf, acting as anything short of flowers and compliments is an attack on the very idea of policing, while simultaneously excusing every cock-up and sign of corruption as the acts of a few bad apples. (No one remembers the rest of that idea, that bad apples spoil the whole barrel, so if you have bad apples you might have a bad barrel too.)

If the officer was a regular person, he would have faced a manslaughter charge because his actions led to the death of someone. Now, I get that officers are protected under the law and allowed to use force, but let's be clear, Garner didn't die by happenstance, he died because Pantaleo used force and that force was likely unnecessary.

19. yaxomoxay macrumors 68040

yaxomoxay

Prosecutor would probably settle for less (well, unless the water is boiling hot!!)

20. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

Well, yeah, boiling hot water has a potential to injure someone. So, too a chuck of ice. But, a couple of liters of water thrown from a bucket? Nah.

And, look at the officer's, who calmly and soggily walk back to their cars. (BTW, it might be embarrassing, but these guys deserve kudos for reacting so professionally.) Is that someone in the midst of an assault? No.

21. yaxomoxay macrumors 68040

yaxomoxay

I just know that I HATE cold water on me. Ice bucket challenge my ass!

22. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 604

Actually it was against policy, and Eric Garner's autopsy was ruled as a homicide.

23. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

I jumped into a pool full of snow melt earlier this summer, and was reminded of why I live in the desert—I hate being cold.

24. yaxomoxay macrumors 68040

yaxomoxay

Same here, man. There is nothing worse than coming out of a boiling hot shower just to be greeted by a lower temperature.

25. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

Yep. Oddly, you'd think this would be a problem in winter, but I find myself freezing during the summer when coming out of the shower because someone has cranked the A/C to full blast in the morning.