New York Senate bill seeks to end anonymous internet posting

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by quagmire, May 24, 2012.

1. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/technol...end-anonymous-internet-posting-162549128.html

Well intentioned, but a very dangerous bill IMHO.

2. mudslag macrumors regular

mudslag

3. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

I'm assuming if the site is hosted anywhere outside of New York this bill can't be enforced, so I doubt it will do anything besides drive any companies that offer web hosting services out of New York.

4. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

Now, if the bill applied to 501(c)4 organizations, that might be worth considering

5. kavika411 macrumors 6502a

kavika411

Why?

6. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

It is difficult for me to grasp why a "democratic" government should even be allowed to have secrets in the first place. Given the nature of the US election system, money is the prime mover overall, making the donors a sort of de facto branch of the government: I would like to at least know who these trilateral-commissioners are. If I/we are going to be dry-sodomized, I personally would rather it be by someone whose face I can see.

7. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Because the State needs protection from it's duplicitous dealings, at home and abroad.

Next question please. ;)

8. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Total BS. I cherish my online anonymity even if it is an illusion. Leave it to a GOPer to come up with this. :)

9. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

There's always a sob story to justify stripping people of their privacy. I'm so completely sick of it. Sit and spin, gov. Sit and spin.

10. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

And if there isn't, well, you can always be creative with black-ops. ;)

11. thewitt macrumors 68020

thewitt

The bill prevents people from suing the website owner if they refuse to identify themselves to th owner and the owner removes their post.

It does not prevent you from posting anonymously unless the website you are using requires you to identify yourself.

12. barkomatic macrumors 68040

I doubt this is going to happen, but its angering that time and money gets wasted when some idiot introduces legislation like this.

My guess is this guy is trying to ride the current wave of the public distaste over cyberbullying and get some votes in the future.

If you are so fragile that someones mean or disrespectful comments send you crying to the bathtub to slice your wrists then you shouldn't be on the internet at all -- and probably not let out of the hospital.

13. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

Absolutely. Although anonymous posting by 12 year olds and right wing crazies is a major annoyance, shutting it down would have a huge chilling effect. A large number of adults work for companies both far more conservative than they are. And even many companies where there are a lot of liberals don't like the idea of restricting the power of corporations. We're not a nation of yeoman farmers who can say what we think without getting fired. Many companies are now demanding to see people's Facebook pages as part of the hiring process. What is the likelihood that you will get hired in a cotton belt state if you favor gay marriage?

14. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

That is truly ridiculous, although I haven't personally seen it happen.

15. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

I hadn't seen this before. I will absolutely call my state reps and voice my dispproval.

16. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

There has been a flurry of publicity about this over the last six months or so, but, I'm guessing that most large companies wouldn't ask, because they can get in big trouble if they ask you for or otherwise utilize certain information about you. Small companies can get away with a lot.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2012/03/21/BUAG1NNHQ2.DTL

17. shinobi-81 macrumors 6502

The Republicans never stop thinking out new ways to harm their country and their people.

----------

Think about the children!!! ;)

18. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

Our enemies are innovative and resourceful, and so are we. They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we. – W., Aug. 5 2004

19. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

Holy cow. We've think we come so far and then you hear a hair-brained idea like this proposed law.

20. hafr macrumors 68030

Where are these twelve year old cyber bullying other kids? It feels like the owners of those sites should take their responsibility instead.

If I were a thief, I would do everything I could to lobby for this law. Then I would start surfing forums and going through picture threads, travel forums and what not. Just imagine what an enormous catalogue of who has what, where they live, when people are not home and so on. Amazing.

Then you'll have all of the political extremists, getting access to the "opposing side's" forums and mapping their "enemies"...

21. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

And if you ran a data-mining company, this law could be a serious threat to your business model, since the information you sell would now be much more easily accessible.

22. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

It would indeed be perverse, to ask these companies to use their lobbyists, to protect your Internet privacy. ;)

23. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009