New York Senator Charles Schumer writes open letter to Steve Jobs

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by zizo79, Jul 15, 2010.

1. zizo79 macrumors 6502a

zizo79

Was this posted on here ? I did a search and couldn't find anything about Charles E. Schumer writing an open letter to Steve Jobs.
    From BGR:
    "July 15, 2010

Dear Mr. Jobs,

I write to express concern regarding the reception problem with the Apple iPhone 4. While I commend Apple’s innovative approach to mobile technology and appreciate its service to millions of iPhone users nationwide, I believe it is incumbent upon Apple to address this flaw in a transparent manner. According to Consumer Reports’ review, released Monday on its website, the iPhone 4’s signal-strength problem is a hardwire glitch triggered by gripping the device in a particular manner. This finding, according to Consumer Reports, “call into question” Apple’s recent claim that the problem is “largely an optical illusion caused by faulty software.” Consumer Reports declined to recommend the iPhone 4 because of this hardware design flaw.

Given the discrepancy between Consumer Reports’ explanation of the reception problem and the explanation provided by Apple in its July 2 letter to customers, I am concerned that the nearly two million purchasers of the iPhone 4 may not have complete information about the quality of the product they have purchased. The burden for consumers caused by this glitch, combined with the confusion over its cause and how it will be fixed, has the potential to undermine the many benefits of this innovative device. To address this concern, I ask that Apple provide iPhone 4 customers with a clearly written explanation of the cause of the reception problem and make a public commitment to remedy it free-of-charge. The solutions offered to date by Apple for dealing with the so-called “death grip” malfunction-such as holding the device differently, or buying a cover for it-seem to be insufficient. These proposed solutions would unfairly place the burden on consumers for resolving a problem they were not aware of when they purchased their phones.

I also encourage Apple to keep its promise to provide free software updates so that bars displayed accurately reflect signal strength; I further urge Apple to issue a written explanation of the formula it uses to calculate bar strength, so that consumers can once again trust the product that they have invested in.

I look forward to Apple’s swift action on this matter, and once again laud Apple for its innovative efforts and service to millions of Americans.

Sincerely,
    Charles E. Schumer"

I apologize if this is a repost.

2. BeyondtheTech macrumors 68020

BeyondtheTech

This Schumer guy is on a roll. He's been a real trooper for consumer rights and protections lately.

3. King Luis macrumors 6502

why doesn't he write a letter to every other business that messed up. people are just going too far with this and its getting ridiculous.

dear general motors:

please stop making cheap cars that people don't buy and then asking us (the government) for money and still travel first class or in your private jet or not take a pay cut/bonus cut when you can simply call someone over the phone and take a pay cut to help save your company.

ps. we should of let your company fail for your stupid mistake.

love,
    new york senator.

4. ziyonim58 macrumors newbie

Letter

Let's see what Obama is going to send Jobs. Hell, may be the UN secretary general. After all, this is an issue of World magnitude.

5. Kahnyl macrumors 68000

He put it perfectly. I'm shocked.

And it looks like he actually read the press release, unlike many here.

EDIT: BTW, I know what's going to happen here. Can the Americans on the board give the right / left **** a break for this thread?

6. BadMoon macrumors 6502

Guess the guy doesn't watch the news. Why date this letter today? Apple clearly said they were having a press conference on Friday. Seems dumb to me. It is nice though seeing a politician trying to look after consumers best interests. Still it seems pointless until apple has a chance to speak.

7. timerollson macrumors 65816

I'm glad that politicians can find the time of day to address something minor in the grand scheme of things./sarcasm

As much as I'm frustrated about the iPhone 4, I need for him to actually do something more important with his position.

8. s8film40 macrumors 6502

s8film40

How is this any of his business in his position as a senator? It's a private business selling products to private individuals, it's not a safety issue, people aren't being ripped off, if they don't like it they can return it. I think he is just trying to get some free publicity and appear to be on the side of the people. I'm glad I don't live in NY with idiots like this.

9. rangtang macrumors member

New York FTW! Leave it to a New Yorker to take care of business ;)

10. freejack macrumors regular

freejack

11. TheNewDude macrumors 6502a

$20 bucks saying he's having a signal issue and couldn't get a free bumber from the Apple store! :D

12. Kahnyl macrumors 68000

Yes, I'm sure your state's representitives are way above pandering to the electorate.

13. Jestered macrumors 6502

That's exactly what I was thinking. I have no problems with what he said in his open letter to Jobs, but it seems like he is trying to grab some "ataboy"s from people that don't know Jobs already planned a press conference. Is he trying to take some credit for getting Jobs/Apple to speak on this, even though they already planned on doing it? Seems strange to me.

14. BladesOfSteel macrumors regular

BladesOfSteel

I love it.

This guy planned it perfectly.

July 14 - Apple reaches out to media stating there will be a press conference on Friday July 16th.

July 15 - The esteemed Senator from New York issues an open letter asking Apple to be more forecoming in the issues with the iPhone 4.

July 16 - Apple holds press conference

July 17 - Senator takes credit for making Apple talk.

Give me a break.

EDIT - looks like some people are faster typers then me.

Shoot.

15. Kahnyl macrumors 68000

The more pressure on Apple before they speak the better. Especially if tomorrow was just planned for reiterating the press release.

16. s8film40 macrumors 6502

s8film40

I will say I honestly don't know what side of the political spectrum he represents, but based on this letter I would never vote for him if given the opportunity. Elected official need to focus on their job instead of trying to get themselves into the spotlight. I'm sure there are bigger issues in NY than Apple's customer satisfaction.

17. Stiss macrumors 6502a

Oh boy.

This just get's more absurd every passing day.

18. TheNewDude macrumors 6502a

No, i don't think so.
    The letter might have been written a few days, even a week or so ago. Just issued it right now.

He's a Senator, his letters are written, then typed by someone else, then edited and then issues. I'm sure it doesn't happen in just a few hours.

19. s8film40 macrumors 6502

s8film40

Maybe not but if I see something like this from one of my representative they will lose my vote.

20. timerollson macrumors 65816

I'd rather he address more important issues like unemployment and this god awful economy.

At the end of the day, Apple represents such a minute issue. I don't understand what the **** this guy is thinking.

21. Khryz macrumors 6502a

22. Kahnyl macrumors 68000

He can't do both? How long do you think it took him to dictate this?

23. rwilliams macrumors 68040

rwilliams

That was an extremely well-written letter, and the things that it asks Apple to provide to its customers are very fair and very reasonable. With that said, I highly doubt Apple will do anything of the sort.

24. BladesOfSteel macrumors regular

BladesOfSteel

That may be the case, but you'd think that out of his countless staffers one or two would say "hey, they are holding a presser on Friday. We don't need to release this."

25. Wicked1 macrumors 68040

Wicked1

I think BC this is huge and no one has challenged Apple thus far, as far as GM, the Government and Obama administration stepped in fairly quickly, and since Apple doesn't need a bail out and they handled this poorly as related to a PR issue, I guess someone feels the need to step in. If this is real it is a thought out letter, but I would need to confirm the authenticality first.