New York Times blames Hillary for ISIS

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by thewitt, Feb 29, 2016.

1. thewitt macrumors 68020

thewitt

2. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

Only republicans are to blame. Makes no difference what the issue is

3. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    Depends on what side you're on. Confirmation bias is a helluva thing.

4. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Indeed. It makes you see things in articles that aren't there.

5. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

I got about halfway through it, and yeah, there isn't a single mention of Hillary creating ISIS anywhere. More that the US backed some certain people to get rid of a bigger problem, said "hey, good for yall", left everyone else to handle the aftermath after the accolades died down, things went south, and ISIS took advantage of the turmoil.

Obama and Hillary both share a good bit of blame for Libya, but at the same time, they're only following what's been US policy in the ME for the last 40 odd years. When it comes to that particular section of the world, there really aren't many differences between a Republican and Democrat.

6. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

Only following.........is the reason why we are in this mess

7. APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

Well did President Hilary Clinton start an asinine war in Iraq?

8. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

When did Hillary decide to pull up stakes, allowing an already bad situation to feast on itself, and thrive?

Let's face it, Bush and Obama both are to blame for the rise of ISIS. Bush destabilized the region, sowing the seeds of chaos, and Obama, riding high on a hard political stance, decided to bail on the whole thing, and leave the Middle East to itself.

This goes to show us two things.

One, you can't consider carpet bombing and military adventurism as sound policy for the region. It's a solution to one problem that'll only serve to create two more later.

Two, you can't just say we should wash our hands of it, either. Since the other guy's problems you're leaving behind will fester in isolation, and grow into something even worse.

9. maxsix Suspended

maxsix

Hillary may prevail yet, but her road to the Coronation continues to get rougher by the day. She's brought this on herself, a fact that she's bound to realize. From where she sits I'd bet November looks like an awfully long time from now.

10. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

11. shinji macrumors 65816

shinji

No, but Senator Clinton voted for it.

12. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

I appreciate that you're being sarcastic, but a few months ago, conservative nozzles would have said the NYT was in the tank for HRC and part of her effective coronation.

Now, it publishes an article critical of the Obama administration and Clinton's tenure as Secretary of State and all of the sudden it's hugs and kisses.

13. Robisan macrumors 6502

Sorry to be the rules nazi, but this post and thread violate the forum rules. Please either provide a link that supports your assertion or correct your post to accurately reflect the content of your link. As members in post 3 and 4 point out, your linked article does not support your thread title or OP assertions.

Debate

Guidelines: Be willing to engage in fact-based, constructive debate. Look for ways to inform and learn from others.

Rules:
    1. Sources. If you claim that something's a fact, back it up with a source. If you can't produce evidence when someone asks you to cite your sources, we may remove your posts. If you started the thread, then we may remove or close the thread.

14. vrDrew macrumors 65816

From the cited article:
    The article certainly does not blame Secretary of State Clinton for the presence of ISIS in Libya or anyplace else.

15. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

When both parties hate and love your paper, I'm inclined to think that paper is doing what the press should be doing.

16. Jess13 Suspended

Jess13

You have the wrong piece.

Hillary Clinton, ‘Smart Power’ and a Dictator’s Fall

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/02/28/us/politics/hillary-clinton-libya.html

Mr. Obama’s defense secretary, Robert M. Gates, would later say that in a “51-49” decision, it was Mrs. Clinton’s support that put the ambivalent president over the line.

The consequences would be more far-reaching than anyone imagined, leaving Libya a failed state and a terrorist haven, a place where the direst answers to Mrs. Clinton’s questions have come to pass.

[...]

Mrs. Clinton declined to be interviewed. But in public, she has said it is “too soon to tell” how things will turn out in Libya (Note: No it isn’t, Libya is a failed state because you destroyed it, you terrorist war criminal) and has called for a more interventionist approach in Syria (Note: If you destroy Libya, might as well destroy Syria too).

Libya’s descent into chaos began with a rushed decision to go to war, made in what one top official called a “shadow of uncertainty” as to Colonel Qaddafi’s intentions. The mission inexorably evolved even as Mrs. Clinton foresaw some of the hazards of toppling another Middle Eastern strongman. She pressed for a secret American program that supplied arms to rebel militias, an effort never before confirmed.

Those “rebel militias” Hillary helped to arm, included al-Qaeda: CIA/Obama/Hillary treason

17. FieldingMellish Suspended

Yes. :)

18. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

That's not what I'm getting at.

Previously, conservatives would have attacked the NYT's credibility. Now, once the NYT agrees with them, it's a credible source.

So, either the paper is credible or it is not, but to pick and choose because it agrees with you is a distinct kind of confirmation bias.

But, I otherwise agree. My favorite stories are the ones that are shared by different camps, each accusing me of being in the tank for the other side. It's wondrous.

19. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Corporate neoliberal policies are to blame, and both parties are almost entirely beholden to them.

20. FieldingMellish Suspended

The Times article under discussion is an abberation. Accidental honesty written by an author who is receiving swift approbation as this is written.

21. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

If you think that a two-part feature piece running around 13,000 words, and backed by graphics and a special web-only layout is "accidental honesty" from two reporters, a researcher, and multiple line editors, you really don't understand the news business.

22. FieldingMellish Suspended

Then they are attempting to ape the wild decades-long success of Fox News by looking to get some righty attention, and further themselves from being a decades long money losing operation.

23. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

To reiterate my earlier post: if you think the reporters and editors at the New York Times are just falling over themselves to become Fox News, you don't know anything about the news business.

And, this just proves my earlier point.

Scene 21. The PRSI.

Enter. The Wingnuts.

Wingnut 1 – Hark! Oh the bildungsroman of New York doth agree with our closely held opinion.
    Wingnut 2 — Oh, God be faithful. They are our closest friend.

Enter. The Inkstain'd Wretch.

Wretch — They're just throwing the bones as they always have.
    Wingnut 1 — Witch!
    Wingnut 2 — Terror! The bildungsroman of New York is worthless. It is only right once, when it doth agree with our silver convictions and stands akin our favored messenger, the Fox, all glittered in gold.
    Wretch — Oh, what a terrible era in which idiots govern the blind.

24. FieldingMellish Suspended

That was well-written and entertaining.

25. Robisan macrumors 6502