New York Times: Prosecute Cheney

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by aaronvan, Dec 23, 2014.

1. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

2. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

3. aaronvan thread starter Suspended

aaronvan

True, Bill Clinton was the only president who had the guts to admit he dodged the draft because he was sincerely opposed to the Vietnam War.

Cheney, Bush, Quayle, Kristol, and the rest of the neocons took their college deferments or hid out in the National Guard to avoid serving in Vietnam at the same time they were supporting the war. Quayle was even dumb enough to admit it.

4. sodapop1 Suspended

sodapop1

As much as I would like to see Cheney prosecuted, I'm afraid that doing so would set a bad precedent where the incoming administration would always seek to prosecute the outgoing administration.

5. aaronvan thread starter Suspended

aaronvan

Also, it's not going to happen because Obama doesn't want to sent a precedent that would get him indicted for war crimes.

War criminals in today's America are untouchable.

6. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

Not quite. Bill Clinton, while in college signed a letter of intent to go into the ROTC program. He then changed his mind but did not change his status with his local draft board. That's from his own words in his book.

7. aaronvan thread starter Suspended

aaronvan

So technically he didn't dodge the draft. Now I respect him even more.

8. sodapop1 Suspended

sodapop1

Agreed but it is easy for us to Monday morning quarterback and second guess the decisions that our leaders make without knowing all of the facts. Despite the differences in ideologies, I think each president regardless of party is doing what they believe is right in their hearts. We as Americans don't want to discourage people from running for office out of fear that they will be prosecuted for making a tough decision.

9. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

No, he dodged the draft. He admits it in his book. It's actually a pretty good back.

10. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

Do you have evidence that President Obama ordered those under his command to commit war crimes? Be specific.

By some folks definitions, any act of war at all is a war crime, but, that is twisting the language to the point of being meaningless.

11. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

12. aaronvan thread starter Suspended

aaronvan

I prefer an honest draft-dodger to a dishonest war-monger.

----------

Obama ordered the extrajudicial assassination of American citizens.

13. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

Arming the enemy. Bombing libya. Spying on us citizens.targetting us civilians over seas

14. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

Sorry, it is not obvious to me that a drone strike in a war zone under the control of the enemy is necessarily a war crime. It might be, it might not be. But, there is a long precedent for not being able to claim the rights of citizenship or the rights of being a POW if a citizen engages in unlawful combat against their own country:

http://law2.umkc.edu/faculty/projects/ftrials/conlaw/quirin.html

Perhaps you could explain your reasoning further.

15. jkcerda, Dec 23, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2014

jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

I doubt liberals ever thought that the clown they elected would be worse than Bush. God forbid they turn on the messiah

----------

Thought he was a cleric? Not an actual combatant

https://www.aclu.org/blog/tag/targeted-killings
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anwar_al-Awlaki

16. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

There is no need for this administration to prosecute Cheney, they can just buy him a nice plane ticket to Den Hague and let the international court determine his guilt.

17. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

send Obama /bush & congress along for the ride :)

18. iososx macrumors 6502a

iososx

Another Consideration...

Without taking sides, there is to the best of my knowledge, a topic that has hardly been discussed in the mainstream civilian blogosphere here in the USA. That's the fact that we here in the USA are much more open about what military info is shared with the public, than what other countries share with their people. We enjoy a level of civilization others haven't experienced. With the advent of embedded reporters in wartime we have put our very own military in grave danger. Argue that point and you reveal how naive you are about war.

Say what you will but tortuous practices during war are not only widely employed by other countries and never talked about nor admitted, but are so routine that it's not even thought about.

Conversely here in the US talking heads like Dick Cheney are so eager to get attention and recognition good or bad, they talk about too much, they damage our national security. The state of which is already so compromised over the last few presidents it's a sad state of affairs.

Make no mistake I am NOT defending Cheney, for he is but one of many politicians guilty of putting special interests ahead of mainstream Americans, the very people who politicians are elected to serve.

19. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

That doesn't accomplish anything 10+ years later. They have to be denied that initial ability.

20. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

start prosecuting them & the problem will fix itself

21. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

I'm highly skeptical of that. It's also going to fall along party lines just like you had with Iran Contra.

22. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

you might be confusing me with someone else, already said add Obama/BUSH & the rest of congress to the mix, not sure what "party" line you think I tow.

23. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

I didn't mean you. I meant that the decision of whether to prosecute would fall along party lines and depend upon election cycles. It's a pipe dream to suggest that both White House members and a significant portion of Congress could be fairly prosecuted for anything. I'm not even sure there would be enough resources.

24. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

Thanks for clearing it up. Yeah that became painfully obvious once obama was elected.