New York to change subway tiles

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by TonyC28, Aug 18, 2017.

1. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 604

I've been offended by those tiles for decades. :p

Seriously, us real NYers are not looking at Subway tiles.

2. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

3. citizenzen macrumors 65816

[​IMG]

As a graphic designer, you have to be aware of past symbols and the potential of negative connotations/connections they carry. I do have to wonder how this got approved without somebody pointing out how much it resembles the confederate flag.

4. Alexander.Of.Oz macrumors 68000

Alexander.Of.Oz

I'm pretty sure you're all watching this sort of thing instead of pondering the meaning of tile designs.

5. noisycats macrumors 6502a

noisycats

Ok. It's an isolated subway design. Here I though I was going to have to redo my kitchen backsplash to keep in fashion.

6. Tapiture macrumors 6502

I’d redo them just because it’s a weird design, not because it looks like a confederate flag.

7. A.Goldberg macrumors 68000

A.Goldberg

Well, here in Boston there are protests to change the name of Yawkey Way and Faneuil Hall, two of the cities most iconic landmarks.

Tom Yawkey was evidently a racist and was one of the last of baseball team owners to integrate black players in the 1950's. His foundation however has donated nearly 500m to charities, but evidently that's insuffient to clear his name. I'm pretty sure there were a lot of people who were racist back then.

Peter Faneuil... all the way back in the 18th century... was involved in the slave trade.

Honestly this stuff is getting out of hand. Most people aren't aware of these facts until someone publicizes it, so I'm pretty sure Yawkey Way and Faneuil Hall have not been making people feel oppressed. Confederate statues are one thing, but some of this is going way too far.

I'm Jewish. Should I be calling for Ford to change their name because Henry Ford was an antisemite. Should Hugo Boss change their name because they made SS uniforms- or better yet just close up. Should Volkswagen do the same because they used Jewish slave labor?

Or what about Aetna insurance that used to insure slaves?

Where on earth do you draw the line?!

8. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

Why do we need to draw a line? Isn't facing and accepting reality a good thing?

Does this book (below) "cross the line?" Some have complained that "you're erasing history" but yet some can't seem to simply face a factual version of history.

Is there really a "line" we can't bear to cross because accepting what really happened is too difficult to accept?

Complicity: How the North Promoted, Prolonged, and Profited from Slavery

[​IMG]

Listen to the NPR Books interview: Farai Chideya talks with Anne Farrow, co-author of the book Complicity: How the North Promoted, Prolonged, and Profited from Slavery, which reveals the history of the Northern slave market, and the stories of many of those who were bought, sold and survived.

9. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

I walk around looking for things to be offended by, it gets me through the day.

10. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

Well, while NYC is at it, could they change the subway? Not fulfilling the needs of a 2017 metropolis.

11. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 604

I'm personally only in support of removing the symbolism. Obviously, confederate flags and statues are part of that symbolism, especially since most of the confederate statues were put up in the Jim Crow days, so they are not really that historic.

But I agree ... Trying to strike out every name(person) or entity(like corporations) that had any historical involvement with racism and/or slavery, is asinine. You might as well start the USA over from scratch.

12. A.Goldberg macrumors 68000

A.Goldberg

I didn't say it's wrong not to recognize the unglorified history of our country. I'm pretty sure most people of power and influence have some blackmark on their history.

My question was not about changing our recollection history- though often the unglorified history is interpreted out of the cultural context of the time, which is just as unfair as ignoring the ugly bits altogether.

My question was where do you draw the line of erasing every controversial figure because their name being on something is offensive despite the positive contributions they made?

13. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

I've seen scant evidence for any call to "erase" anything, and despite continued reassurances that erasure isn't the objective this fear keep being raised, again and again and again...

Each and every time I hear this concern voiced, I'm can't help but be reminded of the slogan the marching Nazi shouted out, "You will not replace us!"

Not sure I "get" either fear. I'm sitting here, a white male, and no, I don't "get" either.

Getting to know history (fairly well) should provide context. But we don't seem to place much importance on history anymore. Many seem to have the impression that history began when they were born. So maybe the lack of knowledge about or insight into history is why all of this seems so scary to some. Dunno...

14. A.Goldberg macrumors 68000

A.Goldberg

You're kind of changing the argument here. You're saying that a name is just and name- they are arbitrary. But the people arguing to change the names of things want to do some because of the sins of the person in light of their other positive accomplishments.

So do you think that renaming something like Fanueil Hall in Boston due to Peter Fanueil's involvement in the slave trade nearly 300 years ago is reasonable?

I can see something alluding directly to Confederate ideology or imagery being offensive and therefore worthy of removal. But changing the name of something due to the sins of someone who had other positive accomplishments is a bit of a stretch in my opinion. Sure, names are arbitrary, but they may carry a history that would otherwise be forgotten. Haven't you ever been in a place and wondered why it carried the name?

Boston has a Malcom X Boulevard. I suppose some could say not to name a road after someone who allegedly promoted violence. But I would argue his impact on the civil rights in this country supersedes the less than stellar aspects of his history. MLK was homophobic, but that's not really surprising given the time period, most people were. Again, I wouldn't consider renaming a street bearing his name considering the positive impact he has made.

15. jdillings macrumors 65816

They can't fix the issues with the subway but subway tiles that look like a confederate flag? They're right on it.

16. Zenithal macrumors 68040

Decades ago. Oh, how lovely. Because New York employees need another whiff of asbestos. :rolleyes:

17. TonyC28 thread starter macrumors 65816

TonyC28

From the linked article:
    "Robert E. Lee and Stonewall Jackson will be removed from the CUNY hall of great Americans because New York stands against racism,” Cuomo tweeted. “There are many great Americans, many of them New Yorkers worthy of a spot in this great hall. These two confederates are not among them.”

So they are removing them NOW because New York stands against racism. So they didn't stand against racism yesterday?
    --- Post Merged, Aug 19, 2017 ---
    As a New Yorker, have you ever heard of anyone complaining about them before?

18. zin macrumors 6502

Can't help but laugh. Seems the New York leadership has something in common with our London mayor. They're both total dopes.

19. yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

I am not for the removal of monuments etc., but those tiles are incredibly ugly. Remove them for the sake of travelers.

20. HEK Suspended

HEK

Oh my god.....disaster some tiles will be changed out. Let's get the nazis and KKK to protest. City of New York granting permit for them to stand down in pit on the tracks. City is sending light down tracks to help them see better. Just stand there and wait for it.

Nazi/KKK jam will be oozing out the sewers.

21. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

Maybe only on a really slow news day. Otherwise it's the Post / Daily News headlines over someone else's shoulder.

Anyway weren't some of those mosaics put up during the depression as part of jobs programs? Now we're taking them down because,,, power to the people.

LOL never mind assigning logic when stuff gets out of hand.

By time we're done with this sweep of revulsion at our own history we'll have given ourselves a clean slate right up to last night. "Born yesterday" seems apt enough description of us now and then.
    --- Post Merged, Aug 19, 2017 ---
    Are these some of the ones that were put up in the depression? All things Confederate became popular again back then. Have to check it out after lunch unless someone beats me to it.

22. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Speaking of graphic design, the swastica is an old symbol that was ruined by the Nazis because it's the historically recent movements it's associated with. Maybe the blue X on a red background in the subway is misunderstood too although it's pretty close, minus the stars. ;)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Link

23. TonyC28 thread starter macrumors 65816

TonyC28

Maybe the headline should be "New York stands for racism until 2017."
    What a ridiculous show of virtue signaling that should insult the collective intelligence of all Americans. Anyone who says "good for New York" is a fool. In a short couple weeks we've gone from statues to tile patterns that resemble something they actually aren't. I would really like to know how many complaints they've gotten about the tile over the years. And no matter their answer it would be a problem for them. Either it's zero in which case this whole thing is ludicrous. Or it's one or more in which case Mayor Doofus can explain to all of those he is trying to appease (which also could be zero) why this racist disgusting tile remained until now. I would also caution the left before they kick the snowflakery safe space garbage into high gear that the PC everyone-gets-a-trophy crap is part of the reason Trump got elected.

24. MarkusL macrumors 6502

Fair enough, Donald Trump didn't move out of NY until 2017.