New York woman falls, rips Picasso painting

mscriv

macrumors 601
Original poster
Aug 14, 2008
Dallas, Texas
NEW YORK (AFP) – A significant Pablo Picasso painting was damaged after a woman attending art class lost her balance, fell into "The Actor" and tore it, The Metropolitan Museum of Art said.

The unusually large canvas, measuring 77.25 by 45.38 inches (196 by 115 centimeters), sustained a vertical tear of about six inches (15 centimeters) in the lower right-hand corner in the accident on Friday.

The museum, located on the eastern edge of New York's Central Park, did not elaborate on why the woman fell.

But The Met said the damage did not impact the "focal point of the composition" and that it should be repaired in the coming weeks ahead of a major Picasso retrospective featuring some 250 works at the museum opening on April 27.

Repair work should be "unobtrusive," it added.
Full Story

"Whoops!, my bad, I'm so clumsy at times."

This has got to be your worst nightmare. I mean how embarrasing. :eek:

iShater

macrumors 604
Aug 13, 2002
Chicagoland
There was no glass in front of the thing?

The dude in the picture looks like a Vulcan.

I will never understand this type of art, this doesn't strike me as a special painting, but what do I know. :eek:

Sdashiki

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2005
Behind the lens
*Applause*

Now please, demolish the rest of these travesties of man.
Picasso, like Dali, later in his career was much more about commercialization than art for arts sake.

Though, like anything in the "Art World", its subjective.

IMO, most of his stuff sucked hard, especially the later stuff.

Now, someone falling into Guernica at the Madrid museum would be a travesty...especially when its like 20 feet wide...and that painting kicks ass (though only in person).

Don't panic

macrumors 603
Jan 30, 2004
having a drink at Milliways
Picasso, like Dali, later in his career was much more about commercialization than art for arts sake.

Now, someone falling into Guernica at the Madrid museum would be a travesty...especially when its like 20 feet wide...and that painting kicks ass (though only in person).
This is most certainly not a 'late' piece. quite the opposite.

MrCheeto

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2008
will never understand this type of art, this doesn't strike me as a special painting, but what do I know. :eek:
I don't think we're meant to understand it, I think that "artistés" and wine-makers laugh their pompous asses off while toupé-wearing cigar collectors throw their entire life away pretending there really are superior wines and vases.

TuffLuffJimmy

macrumors G3
Apr 6, 2007
Portland, OR
I don't think we're meant to understand it, I think that "artistés" and wine-makers laugh their pompous asses off while toupé-wearing cigar collectors throw their entire life away pretending there really are superior wines and vases.
Are you really suggesting anything with an accent mark is pretentious. Dude, you need to get out of the US.

ucfgrad93

macrumors P6
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
Full Story

"Whoops!, my bad, I'm so clumsy at times."

This has got to be your worst nightmare. I mean how embarrasing. :eek:
Unidentified man next to her was heard to say "See, this is why we can't have nice things!"

Hopefully this will cause the museum to rethink how close it lets visitors get to the paintings.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
Gotta love MacRumors. Where else could you get an art critic to join and post on how hackneyed Picasso and Dali were?

Lord Blackadder

macrumors G5
May 7, 2004
Sod off
This is the kind of thing I worry about at art museums. Fortunately I haven't ripped any paintings yet. :D

Any Picasso painting is worth millions.

Now there's one worth a little less.:eek:
Actually, since works by masters are generally unique, they are all generally considered priceless. But anything by Picasso surely commands a healthy 7-figure sum at auction.

Many famous artists made a living off their art; just because Rembrandt painted Night Watch on commission (and was well-paid) doesn't make it any less of a masterpiece...though Picasso was certainly a big self-promoter and enjoyed his fame immensely. And I don;t like most of his Cubist art, though I am fond of some of his Blue Period stuff.

joepunk

macrumors 68030
Aug 5, 2004
a profane existence
What the heck was she holding in her hand that caused a massive rip like that?

And how do you trip in a museum? Was she wearing improvident footwear?

Surely

Oct 27, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
What the heck was she holding in her hand that caused a massive rip like that?

And how do you trip in a museum? Was she wearing improvident footwear?
Sh** happens:

Steve Wynn accidentally put his elbow through a Picasso (Le Rêve) that he owned.

He bought it for $48.4 million, and had a deal completed to sell it for $139 million. He had some people over for dinner and was showing the painting to them prior to the exchange, when he accidentally put his elbow through it, causing a 2 inch gash. Wynn suffers from an eye disease, retinitis pigmentosa, which affects his peripheral vision and therefore, occasionally, his interaction with proximate objects. He called the buyer and told him that the deal was off, and he ended up restoring and keeping the painting.

See? Sh** happens.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location

You gave his post a serious response? Most of his posts are made in order to get a rise out of people like you.

Ignore him. ;)

FrankieTDouglas

macrumors 65816
Mar 10, 2005
That'd probably be impossible, considering it's roped off to the public, a good 10 feet away. I had a security guard yell at me because I leaned ever so slightly over the rope (but then again, that museum was full of very sensitive security guards... overall, not in my list of favorite museums).

To the contrast, the Picasso museum in Paris was free of roped off areas and uptight security, and it was jam packed with his work.