New Yorkers take note, San Diego came up with a great idea to quell trash and help homless

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by darksithpro, Feb 27, 2018.

1. darksithpro macrumors 6502a

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/02/2...s-people-to-pick-up-trash-in-new-program.html

"San Diego officials are putting homeless people back on the street — but this time to pay them to pick up trash as part of a new program that launched Monday.

The homeless people, who are staying at the city’s tented shelters, will be cleaning up trash and clearing brush in downtown San Diego for five hours a day, FOX5 San Diego reported. The program, called Alpha’s Project’s “Wheels of Change,” will pay participants $11.50 an hour and expected to hold cleaning shifts three days a week.

“This is all about creating more opportunities for homeless individuals to lift themselves out of extreme poverty,” Mayor Kevin Faulconer said. “‘Wheels for Change’ will help restore dignity by allowing people to earn a paycheck and begin to get back on their feet. For many, this may be just the chance they need to begin turning their lives around.”

2. ericgtr12 macrumors 65816

ericgtr12

Not sure how anyone on either side would argue against this, I'm always for incentivization.

3. 0007776 Suspended

Programs like this are a good idea, hopefully it will allow them to get some work experience that will help them get off the street permanently.

4. ericgtr12 macrumors 65816

ericgtr12

It feels like this thread isn't getting any love because it's not controversial enough lol.

Props to darksithpro for putting something up we can all agree on, it's a refreshing change in the PRSI forum.

5. darksithpro thread starter macrumors 6502a

Amen.

6. tpham5919 macrumors regular

That's an excellent idea. It'll give some folks a chance to get back on their feet.

7. alex2792 macrumors 6502a

Can’t we have them do it for free as a way to pay for accommodations at the shelter? That may incentivize local governments to build more shelters, and have the homeless fix roads, replace streetlights etc in leiu of expensive union workers. Government saves money and homeless get a place to stay and satisfaction that comes with being contributing members of society. It’s a win win proposition.

8. ChrisWB macrumors 6502

Why not pay people a fair wage for labor worked?

9. darksithpro thread starter macrumors 6502a

That might be frowned upon. The idea is to pay them, so they can get out of poverty. If you just feed and board them they'll be stuck doing it indefinitely.

10. alex2792 macrumors 6502a

Like I said, they’re trading labor for accommodations, just like renting a room.

11. 0007776 Suspended

Having people work for free is one of the bad things about Communism, if you pay them money they can learn to make choices about how to spend their money, and treat it more as a job.

12. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

This sounds like a good program if it's effective it should be duplicated across the nation

13. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Are they bussing then to somewhere else that garbage is cleaned or are they cleaning up the garbage they are leaving behind? I'd make a bigger mess and get a few more hours in.

14. LizKat macrumors 601

LizKat

I was wondering why San Diego doesn't have sanitation and parks departments like NYC does. Where the people who pick up trash and clear brush not only get paid but have health benefits and pensions...

15. darksithpro thread starter macrumors 6502a

San Diego population=1.4 million

NYC population=8.5 million

They probably don't have a budget nearly as large as NYC. Heck NYPD alone has a police force that rivals the military strength of some of the 3rd world countries.

16. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

My Parish has a parks department. Population < 10,000.

17. s2mikey macrumors 68020

s2mikey

I agree here - its a great idea. Of course, the union apes will throw a hissy-fit. Too damned bad. Enough with the $100K a year light-bulb changers and street cleaning guys. It also benefits the homeless. Yes. This. :)

18. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

I’m sure you’ll find non union setups have the same issues.