New Zealand anyone?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Kamera RAWr, Sep 3, 2008.

1. Kamera RAWr macrumors 65816

Kamera RAWr

Awhile back I started a thread called "Recommend me a long vacation." I got many great suggestions, but after much consideration, I decided New Zealand looks like a nice place. Well, recently I applied and was approved for a 1 year "Work Holiday Visa." I've come back to ask for some advice from those of you who live in or have travelled to New Zealand. This will be my first time spending more than a few weeks outside of the United States.

I apologize if my questions are kind of scattered or naive. Not quite sure where to begin :eek:. What's the cost of living like? Any ideas on the cost of renting a small apartment studio/1 bedroom in the larger cities and towns? How are the people? Friendly and outgoing? Easy to meet and make friends with? How is public transportation? Or am I better off to consider buying a vehicle? How difficult might it be to find work? I'm not terribly picky. For reference, my line of work is in Quality Assurance in plywood manufacturing. I realize I probably won't find much work related to my current job ;).

Well, thats all I can think of, for now. I may well come up with more as I go along. I greatly appreciate any and all advice.

2. skyrider007 macrumors 65816

skyrider007

I spent a month skiing and touring in New Zealand last summer mainly in Christchurch and Queenstown. Really beautiful place. I can answer one of your questions: get a car (rent it). :)

You may find this website useful: http://wikitravel.org/en/New_Zealand

3. dawnraid macrumors regular

Hi i live in Auckland NZ (its really sweet) (im 17) innercity rents probably about 300 a week (im guessing) check this site out any way here. People are usually pretty good! public transport is rubbish, buy a car. Work shouldnt be to hard to find (especially if you have a degree).

4. Kamera RAWr thread starter macrumors 65816

Kamera RAWr

Thank you so much for this link! Looks rather helpful :D

5. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Gotta go to work so can't post anything detailed right now.

What is this "public transport" you speak of? :confused: :confused: :p