Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BoyBach

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 24, 2006
New Zealand fishermen have caught what is expected to be a world-record-breaking colossal squid.

Fisheries Minister Jim Anderton said the squid, weighing an estimated 450kg (990lb),took two hours to land in Antarctic waters.

Local news said the Mesonychoteuthis hamiltoni was about 10m (33ft) long, and was the first adult colossal squid landed intact.

One expert said calamari rings made from it would be like tractor tyres.

- BBC

:eek:

That's one big cephalopod!

And potentially, one massive dinner!

Jaffa Cake

macrumors Core
Aug 1, 2004
The City of Culture, Englandshire
Unless you're English. If you're English, you just complain about it. That's what the English do best.
I'm going to stick my neck out here and guess welshandrew isn't English...

But I am, and I think it's a splendid news site. However, it provides me with plenty of information about stuff that I can then go on to complain about, so you're not totally wrong. :)

BoyBach

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 24, 2006
Unless you're English. If you're English, you just complain about it. That's what the English do best.

Us Welsh aren't bad at whinging about the BBC either!

Don't get me started on BBC Wales News or Top Gear.

Sdashiki

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2005
Behind the lens
I truly dont get this article and the accompanying pics.

This chart says the squid found is larger than the Giant Squid that is the elusive kraken of the deep?
_42569339_colossal_squid_203x229.gif
And yet this pic
_42600139_squid203.jpg
shows its not THAT big, but they talk about tractor tire sized calamari rings, so what is going on here?

yippy

macrumors 68020
Mar 14, 2004
Chicago, IL
Yea, I am a bit confused as well. I thought the giant squid was the largest squid known. There are even discovery shows about how the giant squid is the biggest thing in the deep. And then this article comes along and claims this other squid makes a giant squid look small, and I have never even heard about the colossal squid before.

MacBoobsPro

macrumors 603
Jan 10, 2006
Yeah, the article clearly states that the squid is 10m long. That's huge, but the chart shows it pushing 20m. Not sure what the deal is with that.

It could be a juvenile Colossal squid. So it may not be fully grown. I think the confusion comes from the fact that the Colossal squid has the potential to be much bigger than the Giant Squid. However the only evidence found so far shows it is around the size of a Giant Squid. Also the names dont help. :D

A giant squid was finally caught on video not too long ago and it was estimated at 6m if i remember. There should be a link on the BBC website to the video.

Linkypoo

EDIT: While im on my high horse the tentacles that the squid use to catch their prey also add to the size confusion as they can be extended to great lengths and some people only measure the mantle/body of the squid. Then estimate the overall length from the mantle info. Kind of like estimating a sharks size from its bite radius.

Look at this graph and then look at the previous one.

_39045759_colossal_squid2_203inf.gif

pivo6

macrumors 68000
Dec 2, 2002
Minnesota
The article didn't mention what bait they were using. I suppose one wouldn't troll for giant/colossal squid.

Benjamin

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2003
Portland, OR
The article didn't mention what bait they were using. I suppose one wouldn't troll for giant/colossal squid.

bait for the squid or for the Patagonian toothfish they were fishing for? They have in the past known that colossal squid have eaten toothfish.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.