New Zealand Gay Marriage Bill drawn from Ballot...

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by MorphingDragon, Jul 26, 2012.

1. MorphingDragon macrumors 603

MorphingDragon

About bloody time. However politicians and political argument comments still make me want to kill myself.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/politics/7354142/Parliament-to-vote-on-gay-marriage-bill

2. Queso macrumors G4

They obviously thought that with so many bills that might be drawn that this one was unlikely to be the one they had to debate.

Get the pressure up and running immediately. The NZ anti-equality crowd will already have started lobbying, and funds from their oversees backers will already be hitting their bank accounts.

Fortune is on your side. Don't let it slip.

3. Grey Beard macrumors 65816

Grey Beard

Hey Steeve, politicians have always had that effect, but not to worry, we all still love you.

KGB:D

4. MorphingDragon thread starter macrumors 603

MorphingDragon

My name's not steeve. It's Robbie.

... >.>

5. Grey Beard macrumors 65816

Grey Beard

Of course it is, must have over medicated again.

KGB:confused:

6. NZed macrumors 65816

NZed

I dont think Gay Marriage would go through to New Zealand that well(not against by all means) because the last time i was there, 'gay' is typical word every teenager says.

Its good though that finally the bill is passed.

7. Andeavor macrumors 6502

'Gay' is a typical word every teenager on earth says. It just proves of poor education or lack of respect for language and other people.

I'm surprised NZ is considering same-sex marriage. I thought culturally they are still 50 years behind while in progressive Europe we are still debating about it with the ever-waning church.

8. Queso macrumors G4

I suppose it's because NZ is a relatively new society. In Europe there's a lot of hangover crap from the Middle Ages such as established churches, so the Christian bone-shakers and shamen believe they have a legal right to dictate to society what it should and shouldn't think. Also, having the Corporate HQ of Vatican Inc. just down the road in what ought to be Italy doesn't help.

9. NZed macrumors 65816

NZed

I'm a teenager and I dont say gay to describe something or someone. Neither does my friends or the 1000 other students in my school. I am in a private school :rolleyes:

10. Andeavor macrumors 6502

I didn't mean literally every teenager.

11. MorphingDragon, Jul 27, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2012

MorphingDragon thread starter macrumors 603

MorphingDragon

Must be all that "fresh air". :cool:

----------

50 years behind. Really?

So it's my imagination then that New Zealand let women vote first, among other firsts. The age of a country has nothing to do with the social development of it's people.

12. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

I thought New Zealand already accepted gay marriage :eek: Hopefully this vote goes the common sense way and gays will be allowed to marry.

That being said I love New Zealand and can't wait to go back :D

13. Lone Deranger macrumors 65816

Lone Deranger

Fashion-wise? Yes! But don't worry... You're an awesome bunch of people. :)

14. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

So next you're gonna tell me that kiwis don't have sex with sheep?

15. Happybunny macrumors 68000

I think you'll find that you are wrong about Europe. Because same sex marriage started in Europe the Netherlands was the first country in 2001, followed by Belgium 2005, Spain 2005, Norway 2009, Sweden 2009, Portugal 2010, Iceland 2010, and Denmark 2012.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Same-sex_marriage

16. Andeavor macrumors 6502

That's only a fraction of the continent, with almost a third limiting marriage to man and woman constitutionally. More than half is still debating or somewhere halfway there with pseudo marital contracts, which means we still have a long way to go until we're all on the same page.

17. Happybunny macrumors 68000

Of the eleven countries that recognize same sex marriage eight are from Europe, I think it's time the rest of the world tried a bit harder. :(

Very conspicuous by their absence are the English speaking countries. So far only Canada in 2005, has embraced full right on marriage.

18. Queso macrumors G4

*ahem*

South Africa?
    Pay attention to what's going on in Ukraine, Hungary, Serbia etc., where the arguments against marriage equality are very much driven by religious dogma. Much of Europe still has a long way to go on LGBT rights.

19. Happybunny macrumors 68000

I was not sure if South Africa counted as an English speaking country.
    South Africa is a multi-ethnic nation and has diverse cultures and languages. Eleven official languages are recognised in the constitution. Two of these languages are of European origin: South African English and Afrikaans, a language which originated mainly from Dutch that is spoken by the majority of white and Coloured South Africans. Though English is commonly used in public and commercial life, it is only the fifth most-spoken home language

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_Africa

I never for one moment would say that the fight is won, and we all must be on our guard over human rights abuses. These countries should be monitored more. But the fact remains that the major English speaking countries are still streets away from full rights for LGBT.

20. Queso macrumors G4

I wouldn't say that. The UK needs marriage equality, but already has everything else in place. Employment protection, full recognition of gender reassignment, anti-discrimination laws in provision of services, adoption rights etc. Civil Partnerships within the UK give virtually identical* to the rights conferred by marriage, the problem with them is mostly that they aren't recognised anywhere else as such, which is increasingly difficult in the modern world.

So I wouldn't describe the UK with its 65 million English-speakers as "streets away" from where it needs to be. The USA and Australia are the two that need to pull their socks up.

* there is one difference with regards to survivor pension rights, but that is caused by gender inequality in the existing laws for everyone, rather than targeted at LGBT people.

21. Happybunny macrumors 68000

So are you saying that the LGBT community should settle for civil unions and not go for full marriage?
    Human right should apply to every body in my opinion.

22. Queso macrumors G4

Not quite sure how you can get that out of my post. I distinctly wrote that the UK "needs" marriage equality. I just don't understand how you can paint the UK as being an anti-LGBT country because one piece of equality legislation is missing, especially as that very piece of legislation will be introduced during the life of the current Parliament.

23. Happybunny macrumors 68000

Well that's OK then I thought you were going soft on the idea. :D

24. Queso macrumors G4

Absolutely not. Separate but equal is not equal at all. The law should be universal in how it is applied, and not just for this issue.

25. MorphingDragon, Jul 28, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2012

MorphingDragon thread starter macrumors 603

MorphingDragon

****'s about to get real son...

We don't.

We have a Civil Union, which gives the same rights legally.