New Zealand to get Apple Watch July 31

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Candlelight, Jul 15, 2015.

1. Candlelight macrumors 6502a

Candlelight

2. ZoeLou macrumors member

Woohoo!!

I do already have my watch cos I was too impatient to wait, but I want some more bands! Do you think YooBee will be selling them?

3. tillsbury macrumors 65816

So, confirmed at last. It's between the space grey sport and the black watch for me, but with the price difference NZ$600 to $1900 what do existing users think? I'm tempted to go for the sport just as a stopgap until the next model or two, and then lump for the more expensive one when it's thinner...

4. ZoeLou macrumors member

I got the silver sport from Aus and it came in at $520NZD. Not so bad. The SS is not my thing, too expensive, and too scratch prone, so was a no brainer for me to be honest. I have a leather loop to go with it. Perfectly happy

5. tillsbury macrumors 65816

Nearer NZ$560 now, and that's only if you are prepared to hide it from customs -- you could easily have to pay another $80+ depending on whether they were awake at the border.

Personally I think NZ$599 is cheap in NZ when you consider the warranty. Don't know how well the space grey will stand up to wear though...

6. ZoeLou macrumors member

My cousin sent mine over from Aus in the post, still in the original packaging, no one noticed haha.

I guess the space grey and space black have extra coatings on them right? Cos my silver aluminium is holding up great!

7. ZoeLou macrumors member

PS, the picture shown in the article is still there in the Apple Store app for New Zealand. And you can see all the watches and bands with their prices. Can't imagine they are going to sell many $30,000NZD apple watch editions in New Zealand

8. tillsbury macrumors 65816

They'll presumably be posted from China or Australia anyway, like all the other stuff on the store. So it doesn't really matter to them.

9. tillsbury macrumors 65816

Anyone else ordered? 38mm SGS here. Paul Henry was just on saying you'd have to be an idiot to buy one, so I placed my order there and then :)

Site wasn't up for me at 7:01am, but worked 10 minutes later. Shipping tomorrow for delivery late next week.

10. Candlelight thread starter macrumors 6502a

Candlelight

I can't get one; not enough money but also I only have an iPhone 4 so it won't work.

A co-worker got one a few days ago passing through Australia. He said he was trying to find "a practical and functional use for it", as it's 95% tethered to the phone and found his instinctive response was to pull the phone out to check notifications.

11. Mac2me macrumors 6502a

From someone who has been using one for about 2 months now, I think he will get over the check my phone fairly quickly if he let's himself. I don't feel the need to pull out my phone anywhere near the same as before. I also like taking and receiving calls using the Watch when it's convenient and expecting a short conversation. I use iMessage with husband and friends on the Watch quite often as well. Most of the time time the canned replies do the trick but I have used Siri on a few occasions. Only a handful of times have I pulled out my iPhone to do texts from there.

When I got my Watch I found it useful to select the kinds of notifications I wanted first off, coupled with what glances made the most sense for me, and held of using 3rd party apps right away. If he travels for business I can see airline apps and such being useful from the beginning. He should try to let his Watch do as much for him as it can when it makes sense.

I updated from a 4S to a 6+ last go around when it made sense. When you do upgrade I hope you'll be in a position to try out the watch as well. You can always drop the hint come Bdays and holidays LOL.

12. tillsbury macrumors 65816

I am terrible at leaving my phone behind, but have always been used to having a wallet in my left-hand trouser pocket and can't go anywhere without it being there. Thus I never lose it :)

So when the iphone 5 came out I bought a Zenus leather case/wallet and radically thinned out all the junk I used to keep in there. Thus my phone became my wallet and was always safe in my pocket. Same with the 6 when it came out. By keeping the right credit card at the top I can still tap and go with the wallet closed -- sort of like Apple Pay lol.

But I do get very regular imessages, and I'm really looking forward to being able to read those on my wrist without getting my phone out. In the car particularly it will be a big change as at the moment I wait until I get to my destination before reading anything. For me the watch is worth it to avoid having to get my phone out to check texts or to check the time.

13. MF878 macrumors regular

MF878

Ordered as soon as they came online on Friday morning, even though I knew the rush probably wasn't necessary. Got a 42mm SS with white sport band and a link bracelet. Was a bit unsure of my choice of the link bracelet at NZ$789, mainly because we can't know how long the band mechanism will be supported by Apple, but I caved eventually.

It's my "birthday present", so I can't touch it as soon as it arrives. It's going to be a long couple of weeks.

14. ZoeLou macrumors member

I went to Noel Leeming Wairau Park today to try some of the watches on. I do already own a 38mm silver sport with WSB (and 3rd party LL).

Tried on the 42mm SS with LL, and I am very pleased with my own purchase. The 42mm is far too big on me, and the SS, while nice looking, is not my style at all. It is also clear that the LL I have is only slightly subpar to Apple's original, which makes me happy. The setup they had in Noel Leeming was similar to pictures I have seen in real Apple stores, with the glass tables and leather pads to lay the watches on. Very nice. And the associates were nice to me even though I clearly had no intention of purchasing a watch since I already had one on haha.

15. tillsbury macrumors 65816

Yes, I'm really happy I went for the 38mm too. Big watches look daft on my wrist, and weight is everything when I choose a watch. I used to wear a ceramic black Rado I've had for twenty years or so, but the Apple Watch is a lot neater than I was worried it might be. Thicker than it could ideally be, but not ridiculously so. Very pleased indeed, and delivered overnight to rural South Island so pretty impressive from DHL. Sad that Apple don't use them for shipping Macs and ipads here.

Was tempted by the black SS and link, but at over three times the price I might wait for version 2 or 3 and see how the weight feels too.